Testing... guitar in progress

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, you have that much left over?

would you be adverse to building a neck and selling it(to me)?  maybe, i wont have the time till, next summer to really work on anything hardcore...

Ha! With a wife and 2 small children, I hardly have time to think! :D When/if my wife leaves me, I'll contact you. B)

Although, she'll probably end up with all my shop tools in the divorce settlement. :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Well it's been a while but I've made a little more progress. Sorry to disappoint but I went with my original design. But I do appreciate the feedback. I do think next time I will make the neck laminates visible from the top as well. Had I seen the previous example, I'd have changed my design.

Anyway, I cut the wings out and did a test fit and I indeed had miscalculated the heel shape (I was wood-safe thankfully) So I glued one wing on, roughly reshaped the heel, glued the other wing on and finalized the heel shaping.

Here's the template: All my templates are on 3/8 inch MDF which I scavenged from some furniture packaging. Free stuff is the best I always say. I printed the pattern from CAD on my plotter at work (again, free stuff...) and used super 77 to adhere it to the MDF. Cut it out on a band saw and finished on the drum sander. Sorry I only have a pic of one side.

template1.jpg

After I cut out both wings and routed them to the templates, I did a test fit:

1wing_cutout.jpg

testfit1.jpg

One wing glued on:

1wing_glued.jpg

and starting to fix my heel miscalc.:

1wing_heelmod.jpg

Both wings glued and first pass at shaping/sanding:

perspective_noflash.jpg

2wing_bk_noflash.jpg

Sorry the pics are smaller than usual. I don't know what happened with the camera. I'll try to remedy that for future posts.

Nice, keep us posted on the progress. :D too bad you are putting a cap on it. But it looks great anyway. One question, I plan on doing a 3 piece neck, may be more but it's going to ba a 3 piece for now, I can get the laminate to be flat sawn, since I will be placing it sideways it will have the same effect as quarter sawnright? I think that's the way yours look. Might be wrong though!

Nice, keep us posted on the progress.  :D  too bad you are putting a cap on it. But it looks great anyway. One question, I plan on doing a 3 piece neck, may be more but it's going to ba a 3 piece for now, I can get the laminate to be flat sawn, since I will be placing it sideways it will have the same effect as quarter sawnright? I think that's the way yours look. Might be wrong though!

I know, I know. I'm getting lots of grief for the cap. Live and learn. Anyway, about your flatsawn/qtrsawn question. I asked about this well before I even cut the first piece of wood. I think the general consensus is that flatsawn laminates turned on end are equivalent to quartersawn. Ideally, you would want ‘A’ instead of ‘B’. Much stronger grain orientation. At least that's the way I interpreted it and eventually did it.

neckgrain2.jpg

If you want the full discussion, check out this link. grain orientation

That was back when I was still thinking about purple heart!

I just can't get over how beautiful the wood combination is. The sizes and colors balance perfectly, both in the neck itself, and the neck with the wood! It's got that beautiful combination of class and modern design elements that adds up to a gorgeous build. Have you considered just capping the wings? PLEASE?!! :D

I just can't get over how beautiful the wood combination is. The sizes and colors balance perfectly, both in the neck itself, and the neck with the wood! It's got that beautiful combination of class and modern design elements that adds up to a gorgeous build. Have you considered just capping the wings? PLEASE?!! :D

He won't be able to, don't you see the amout of space between the finger board and the neck! it's almost 1/2" from the pics. It would look off. But I bet the next one will look great!

toddler, got a pic of the top you are using?

OMG, I love how that guitar is shaping up to look :D

you do know your gonna have to learn a new style of playing to play that thing right? as in...

slapping it behind your neck, turning to the crowds and showing that lovely neck off while you solo like a banshee? :D man I wish I could build a sweet neck like that... maybe in a project or 3... when I have the money to invest in a lot more tools and a little work shed, I dont think I could build my own neck right now unfortunatly B) I gotta go back and forth to workshops to use tools etc... damn I hate being a poor student! lol

but man, keep those pics coming! I love it! :D I want it to have baby guitars with my guitar (when its finished) lol

That is going to be one blanketty-blank-blank-blankin' BEAUTIFUL guitar.

I, for one, like the look of the capped top and the striped back. Can't wait to see more pix. :D

By the way- when I saw the outlines, I had doubts about your body design. I could not have been more wrong, because seeing it fleshed out in actual wood it is a KILLER design. B)

Keep up the EXCELLENT work!

OMG, I love how that guitar is shaping up to look  :D

you do know your gonna have to learn a new style of playing to play that thing right? as in...

slapping it behind your neck, turning to the crowds and showing that lovely neck off while you solo like a banshee? :D man I wish I could build a sweet neck like that... maybe in a project or 3... when I have the money to invest in a lot more tools and a little work shed, I dont think I could build my own neck right now unfortunatly :D I gotta go back and forth to workshops to use tools etc... damn I hate being a poor student! lol

but man, keep those pics coming! I love it! B) I want it to have baby guitars with my guitar (when its finished) lol

LOL!!! :D Man, you are too much! Thanks for the compliment, though. Truth be told, I am a hack rhythm player at best. I thought I might be able to build guitars better than I could play them. I'm givin' it a shot and enjoying every minute of it. I encourage you to not be afraid of starting your neck. If you have access to tools, use 'em when you can get 'em. This is the perfect time to learn, while you're in school. But be careful, it is EXTREMELY addictive. B)

toddler, got a pic of the top you are using?

Yeah, take a look at my avatar. That is it. Here's the pic I got off eBay - the guy had wet it with some mineral spirits and brought out this great orangey color. In the center if you look real hard, it looks like a moose with a huge afro staring at you. :D

moosehead_spalt_big.jpg

Here's what it looks like dry:

burl_top.jpg

i see a duck or a goose w/ a fro...wait...there's the moose. okay.

i like the duck more...