Arbor Presses

ELXVintagefade

Yes it will, but you will have to modify the arbor press to accept the fret press caul. You bore a 3/8" hole at the bottom of the arbor ram and also you'll need to machine out a place for a setscrew that will hold the press caul in. If you can't do this, then you could go to a local machine shop and tell them what you need done. It will still be alot cheaper than buying their press system. Good luck.

I found a picture I had that shows the arbor press part that you'll have to modify. The bar has a allen setscrew in it so that it will hold the fret press caul in place. Also, any arbor press you buy won't have the 3/8" hole in the bottom of course. This should give you a better idea of the modifications you'll have to do.

Strat_fretting_15.jpg

most arbor's have a soft steal rod so drilling and tapping are pretty easy if you have a drill press. I opted for a thumb screw for quicker adjustability on mine :D

haha, i used cave man teknowigy.... a damn big elastic band to hold the handle under tension when gluing frets in B) But, i rarely use it.

Anyone know if stewmac's is a 1 ton, or more, or less tons ?

I read somewhere that someone removed the handle and replaced it with a torque wrench so they use the same amount of pressure for each fret. I think in actual use, that idea would fly right out the window.

One reason I don't want to get one of those silver/gray arbor presses, is because at 19, when I started working at a factory, my job was to sit 8 hours a day in front of one of those exact presses, pressing magnets into plastic pieces.