bandsaw or jigsaw?????

maxxslipknot

NO! do NOT filp the blade! you know that little bearing that the back of the blade runs up against when to much foward pressure is on the blade, well imagian that not being there. And the blade breaking and sending your arm half way across the room.

I used a 9incher and it took some monuvering, but it worked fine.

jig saw, and a drum sander (or flush cut router bit) will work ok, but much better to use a bandsaw.

if you use a jig saw, the blade has a tendancy to wonder, and you will need to get a high grade blade from the hardware store.

and also, give you jigsaw a break every now and then when cutting a body, thats a whole lot of stress on the poor thing.

Hi, i'm looking at a jigsaw/bandsaw at the moment - I need something to cut my body out, etc.

I'm going to go with the jigsaw. I asked the guy at my local hardware shop and he said that a pendulim or oscillating blade is best. He recommended this one to me, saying that GMC has become heaps better lately and even though he worked for Bosch for 25 years, he mainly uses GMC now, on most things, because the quality is really good, and they're really cheap. It also is good for doing intricate work, beacuse you can turn the blade 360degrees (don't know how or if that would work, but that's what it says :D ).

This is what he recommended to me, this jigsaw

it's AU$150

does anyone have it, recommend anything different or have an opinion?

you can turn the blade 360degrees

The GMC may be a good tool...I couldn't say...I've never seen or used one....But, What I can say is the rotating head is a most useless feature! Remember, the width of the blade dictates the minimum radius that can be cut. I used a craftsman that had that same 360 rotation feature and found that it was difficult to cut and rotate and put enough pressure on the blade to actually get it to cut...try putting lateral force and rotate the head while still cutting your line!......Get a jig saw without the rotating feature.

You get what you pay for!! I don't think I would spend that much on a GMC jigsaw.They are not meant for Hard Work.The guy in the hardware probably makes more on them.

If you can save up another $100.00 dollars or so and pick up one of the Tiawanese 14 inch bandsaws you might be better off.

They are cheap but I have one and after some tuning etc it cuts pretty good.It cost about $280.00

If not maybe look around for a second hand Makita,Bosch or De Walt jigsaw.They are around.

Regards

Greg

The guy in the hardware probably makes more on them

That's what I thought - which is why I was asking you guys...

I REALLY don't know what to get...

the rotating head is a most useless feature

Thought that might be true too...don't really care about it that much, the guy at the shop just said that it would be handy (yeah right...)

I basically just wanted to get a REALLY top notch jigsaw, that me and my dad can use for heaps of stuff, instead of a medium bandsaw, which I nor anyone else will ever use again...

I was looking at Makita, or bosch, but the guy at the shop reckoned that GMC was pretty good...? :D Who knows? B)

What do you all use/recommend/know that's good.

My budget for just the jigsaw/bandsaw is about $200 MAX (thats australian $)

I just want something good quality, versatile, usable, quality...etc...you get the idea.

BTW - what's a scroll saw and would it be any good??

When I bought my jigsaw....( I make slab tables and needed one that was able to cut 2 1/2in thick hardwoods).....It came down to a DeWalt and a Milwaukee....I don't remember the model numbers!......Both saws were in the $175US price range.....Each of the jig saws had all the power that I required.....Ultimately the decision came down to which one felt the best in my hand.....I ended up with the DeWalt.....As long as you puchase a top of the line saw from one of the major manufacturers, you should not have a problem......Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Elu,Milwaukee, and others make good stuff....There is consumer grade ...contractor grade.....and industrial grade.....stay away from consumer grade like Ryobi....Just research before you buy and try not to buy a particular saw because it was cheap!!!!!!!

If you want a tool to last, dont buy GMC. They are a throw away item.

You are much better off saving your money, and buying a small bandsaw. You can get a cheapy for $400 which will be better than a jigsaw, but i wouldnt spend less than $600. Better still, buy one second hand and get it half price.

Hmmm...

I guess this is a question more for Perry, do you know about carba-tec...They sell specialty woodworking tools across Australia and NZ....what do you think about this...

9" band-saw from Carba-tec...

They seem to stock fairly high quality stuff...?

So...Just for example...say I had AU$500. I already have a disc sander and router, power and cordless drills, and all the hand tools bar a few specialtys.......and would like that $500 to go as far as possible...what should I get..keeping in mind that I am going to take my time, so I don't mind if I have to cut out 1/4 of the body with a jigsaw everyday, to give it a rest..I just want something decant that can do the job and last...I was never sure about GMC, but the guy seemed so adament...?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

If I'm highjacking this thread - tell me to nick off :D

Thanks all..

Hmmm...

I guess this is a question more for Perry, do you know about carba-tec...They sell specialty woodworking tools across Australia and NZ....what do you think about this...

9" band-saw from Carba-tec...

They seem to stock fairly high quality stuff...?

So...Just for example...say I had AU$500. I already have a disc sander and router, power and cordless drills, and all the hand tools bar a few specialtys.......and would like that $500 to go as far as possible...what should I get..keeping in mind that I am going to take my time, so I don't mind if I have to cut out 1/4 of the body with a jigsaw everyday, to give it a rest..I just want something decant that can do the job and last...I was never sure about GMC, but the guy seemed so adament...?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

If I'm highjacking this thread - tell me to nick off :D

Thanks all..

Id say you would be lucky to be able to cut plain old fretboards with that thing..

This one is getting more like it...

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/INETU...0.html?cache=no

But, please check out second hand stuff, it goes for half price on some stuff (especially the sub $600 stuff)

Id say you would be lucky to be able to cut plain old fretboards with that thing..

I don't know why everybody dis's 9" bandsaws. I used one for awhile before getting my 14"...mine was actually an 8", with a 1/5HP motor. If you use the correct blades for the job, it will work. I even resawed 4" thick EBONY with mine, however that really strained the motor. Cutting out bodies was no problem. The main problems with it were the tracking, which wasn't very good because it was a 'Companion', some super cheap overseas Sears import, and I couldn't resaw tops like I can with my 14".

The 9" will work, but if you can afford it, get a 14".

I don't know why everybody dis's 9" bandsaws. I used one for awhile before getting my 14"...mine was actually an 8", with a 1/5HP motor. If you use the correct blades for the job, it will work. I even resawed 4" thick EBONY with mine, however that really strained the motor. Cutting out bodies was no problem. The main problems with it were the tracking, which wasn't very good because it was a 'Companion', some super cheap overseas Sears import, and I couldn't resaw tops like I can with my 14".

The 9" will work, but if you can afford it, get a 14".

Well, there you go. Ive never personally used a bandsaw less than 14". It did an ok job, but did struggle. I would not have thought it could resaw 4" of ebony!

Ive been considering getting a little 9" to cut small stuff, because it will fit on the bench...

But, Im getting my new 19" 2hp in the next month hopefully. Then its just a small jointer, and thats it. Duplicarver should be finished within a few weeks also :D Dont you love machinery and tools!!

That is a nice shop!

I still can't decide....

The thing is, I'm not going to have any use for a bandsaw other than guitars...Where as a jigsaw is a bit more versatile...you can use it for heaps of different things...

Keep in mind that I'm a 19 y.o. female student that lives at home (with mum & dad) with no space other than my room.... :D

Do you all really think that I would still be better off getting a bandsaw as opposed to a really nice jigsaw.

I guess what it comes down to is... Will a good jigsaw do the job and survive?

(I am listening to everyone's advice, just trying to keep things in realistic perspective with my experience/cash flow/need/future use/etc)

And this might seem like a stupid question, but where would I go to get 2nd hand stuff...Cash Converters is a joke..the trading post is not much better, there's nothing on Ebay, and with postage, I'd be better off buying a new one...??

Any recomendations...

I don't know if Rigid tools are available in your area.....But I saw a 14in Rigid bandsaw at Home Depot the other day for $359

No, I've never seen them, but I wouldn't really know either...and we don't have Home Depot or anything like that...that price sounds about the equivalent of $500 Australian, which is the same as the one Perry put up further (thanks for that)

That is a nice shop!

I still can't decide....

The thing is, I'm not going to have any use for a bandsaw other than guitars...Where as a jigsaw is a bit more versatile...you can use it for heaps of different things...

Keep in mind that I'm a 19 y.o. female student that lives at home (with mum & dad) with no space other than my room.... B)

Do you all really think that I would still be better off getting a bandsaw as opposed to a really nice jigsaw.

I guess what it comes down to is... Will a good jigsaw do the job and survive?

(I am listening to everyone's advice, just trying to keep things in realistic perspective with my experience/cash flow/need/future use/etc)

Here is a quote from my pinned Tools thread:

"Keep in mind that certain tools listed may have other uses to you, not necissarily in guitar building, so keep that in mind when deciding what tools you will be acquiring."

If you think you'll get more useage for your money by buying a jigsaw, then do that. Yes a jigsaw will work, just not as well as a bandsaw.

BTW, I don't have the pictures anymore, but before my older sister moved out, I had my tools in my BEDROOM. I converted my desk into a router table, leaving all the drawers in place to hold stuff, and had my 8" bandsaw positioned on the router table, and at one point had my 8" drillpress sitting on my dresser! :D

BTW, I don't have the pictures anymore, but before my older sister moved out, I had my tools in my BEDROOM. I converted my desk into a router table, leaving all the drawers in place to hold stuff, and had my 8" bandsaw positioned on the router table, and at one point had my 8" drillpress sitting on my dresser!

Hahahahahahahaha :D I think my mum & dad would kill me :D Uni is my No 1 priority atm, so my computer will stay where it is..maybe giving way to a router later on B) B)

I've got space to work, just not space to store massive amount of equipment. B)

...Ok, so if a decent jigsaw will do the job, then I guess I'll get one of those...

So to keep bugging you all.. :D What do you all think is the best/most reliable brand? (NOT GMC :DB) )