Building JS-7 copy

RGGR

JS style guitar on Ebay

Isn't that great. ;-)

41_12_sb.jpg

93_12_s.jpg

84_12_s.jpg

Maybe stupid question, I wanted to link the last two pics as links to pics. So with the words Photo 2, 3 (underlined and then linked to http..... but I somehow I couldn't get it working. What code line do you use for this???

I tried this format: <A Href="http/...."> text </A> but that isn't it.

Edited by RGGR

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the pups are installed in that JS. In description on ebay it says, this is done so pups are direct mounted. (better sound). But this could have been done by attaching them from the back, cutting wholes through the hole body.

That can't help the sound and sustain. Still one gorgeous guitar. (don't like the headstock...similar to LGMs new line, so I suspect he did this one too.)

On the "Add Reply" screen, over on the left there's a link for "BB Code Help"... that's full of helpful hints on how to use the code for the forum.

To do a hyperlink on text or images, do this:

[url=http://www.somesite.net]Type some text or place an image here.[/url]

That will give you a result like this:

Type some text or place an image here.

Yeah, I was wondering about how the pickups were attatched, too. Usually you have to cut out a wider opening to get the mounting ears for the pickups to fit into the hole, especially with direct-mounting to the wood. Maybe they used pickups made to fit a Parker Fly?

BTW, World Class Guitars is Ed Roman's shop. $750 is probably what he should have paid for it in the first place. Especially with the butt-ugly headstock. :D

Yeah, I was wondering about how the pickups were attatched, too. Usually you have to cut out a wider opening to get the mounting ears for the pickups to fit into the hole, especially with direct-mounting to the wood. Maybe they used pickups made to fit a Parker Fly?

I was thinking that they have done it from the back, but the cavity in the back is shorter than would have been necessary with this applications. What is a Parker Fly? I never heard of that.

Darren, thanks for you comments. Will use these URL tags in future.

World Class Guitars is Ed Roman's shop. $750 is probably what he should have paid for it in the first place. Especially with the butt-ugly headstock.

A Korina 24 fret JS......yeah, that smells Ed Roman all over. ;-) If it's a custom I suspect the headstock was done on customer demand too. I don't like it either. And I think they could have done a better job of the cavity covers. $1500 for this guitar new would be good price, $2500 second hand is a joke. And who wants those ugly authographs on their guitar.

I don't get these people who think their guitar is worth more with authographs on there.

Steve and Joe must have signed hunderds guitars by now. And with little practise I could sign thes too. ;-)

What is a Parker Fly? I never heard of that.

One of the most innovative guitars in the last 25 years--and most ridiculously overpriced. The new Parker Fly Mojo has Seymour Duncan pickups and arguably sounds the best. Go to www.parkerguitars.com.

The reason why I thought they might be pickups sized for a Parker is because you can't see any mounting ears on the pickups. Parker uses custom Dimarzios in the rest of their guitars that don't have mounting ears like a traditional humbucker. Dimarzio makes all of their pickups in a special order size to fit Parker guitars, too, so if you want a FRED in your Fly, you can order one that will fit. In this case, even though Ed Roman is an outspoken critic of Dimarzio, it looks like he used a couple of the Dimarzios built for a Parker.

Also, I think the guitar is a fine guitar and I do like the signatures on it, but I think giving $2500 to Roman's shop for a relatively plain guitar is a bit ridiculous. And I still loathe that nasty headstock. It would have looked much better without the black finish.

I wonder how the pups are installed in that JS. In description on ebay it says, this is done so pups are direct mounted. (better sound). But this could have been done by attaching them from the back, cutting wholes through the hole body.

That can't help the sound and sustain. Still one gorgeous guitar. (don't like the headstock...similar to LGMs new line, so I suspect he did this one too.)

Nope, I had nothing to do with that guitar thankfully, I don't care for any of it, and my headstock looks way better than that one :D

Crafty,

Actually Dimarzio makes very few of their pickups to fit the fly, I think you can get a fred in a fly, but for example you cannot put an evolution into a fly. The magnet I believe is to big and will not fit in the fly.

Oh, thanks for the correction. It's been a while since I looked at the Dimarzio price list for the Parker replacements :D

From Dimarzio's website:

In addition to the Parker Fly Custom Neck model PHWP1 and Parker Fly Custom Bridge model PWHP2, which are currently standard on most recent Flys, we also offer Fly versions of the Humbucker From Hell®, PAF®, PAF Pro®, FRED®, Norton®, Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Tone Zone®, Breed™ neck and bridge models, Air Classic™ neck and bridge and Virtual PAF™ neck and bridge models.

No Evo for you!

Edited by crafty

My body and neck blanks had a date with a bandsaw today. They seem to get along quite well.

body_neck_cut2.jpg

More detail

Initially I anticipated getting two necks out of my laminate blank. To my own surprise I discovered another one in the rest wood (only need to glue slight tip to the end.)

This will be nice pratice blank.

Also didn't cut off the wood on the neck side of the wood blank as this will give me nice flat area for routing the neck pocket. So far, I'm happy with the results. Can't wait to get going again.

With all this waiting for parts & tools to arrive I have cooked up a little side project.

I'm very much in love with the LP body shape but don't care much for the neck.

Also would like to improve high fret access, and put contour in back of body, so guitar follows more shape of your body. Similar to PRS Tremonti.

Tremonti

So I got some styrofoam insolation material from the garage and cut LP shape out of it, to play with it a little.

Styrofoam LP

Edited by RGGR

When I started this project I didn't have access to a band saw. As template routing bits are not designed to plow through the complete body blank, I used a frostner bit to do the heavy lifting for me. (Cutting away most of the body wood, close to the template.) By drilling a large number of holes close to template, I almost have same result as having used a bandsaw. My Jig saw wasn't able to cut through 1 3/4" Korina. So the use of Frostner bit was creative solution. Here pic again how it initially looked like.

swisscheese.jpg

When I was bitching to someone about not having access to bandsaw.....he smartly remarked - "Didn't I tell you, I have one in my workshop........I thought I told you!!!".

You can imagine I wanted to punch him, and kiss him at the same time. ;-) This would make cutting out the neck blanks soooo much easier. So this afternoon I brought my body wood blank along with my neck blank

So initially I didn't intend using a bandsaw on the body. I ended up using one.

So that's the mistery of the strange holes. I would not have drilled those holes if I had known a bandsaw was available to me.

A good wood planer and a bandsaw can safe tons of work. I didn't want to buy one of those cheap bandsaws, or wood planers just for one project. By asking around, handing over some beers.......I got access to both. That's probably my advice to everyone else building. Just spread the word......and somehow there will be someone willing to help you out.

Edited by RGGR

Finally, my router bits are in. Yibbidi Yibbida!!!

Routed most of the body out. Left top piece attached (in neck area), so I have a more flat area (more support) when routing out the neck pocket. Some people adviced me to route of the neck pocket before anything else as this seems to be rather critical.

routed_body1.jpg

Working with router takes some getting used to. Darn dangerous machine. Read about router bits leaving the router, tear-outs......all the good stuff. Made sure router bit was attached properly to router.......but to my own surpise the bit would come off.

:D

Not funny!! Secured it more firmly. And darn would it happen again!! I even marked the bit and the router nut, so I could see movement on bit.......but still it caught me by surpise.

Had tear-out on lower horn. Nothing very serious, and sanding the horn will make this "problem" disappear. When doing final passes on body I had the lock nut on the router dig in to the body. I didn't notice the nut sticking out under the router. When routing I smelled the wood burn, and knew something was up. Again nothing serious as further sanding will take care of this.

All in all happy with results. These little accidents tend to happen and sanding and Bondo will take care of most problems.

Lessons learned: Router is dangerous piece of machinery. Be very careful!!! Wear safety glasses, and make very sure the router bit is attached securely to the router. 3/4" of shaft sticking in router. (trouble is that bit won't come low enough to route all the way through the body.) To solve this problem I used two types of bits. The template bit with bearing on top, and the fluss trim bit with bearing on bottom.

Also saw that not every router pass is equal to the previous one. I could detect some router marks on the side of the body. Again, sanding will take care of this.

Before I route out the neck pocket I will start working on my neck.

Darn beautiful to see lump of wood change into guitar. ;-)

Edited by RGGR

All right! Progress! Glad to hear you got your tools in. I like what you have so far. As you know, I'm particularly interested in seeing how that laminate neck turns out. Good work so far. I'll be looking forward to more progress pics!

The problems you had with the router are very common. This is why I use a band saw to cut the rough outline and then use a robosander, or barrel sander to sand flush.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Did little more work today. Finished routing neck pocket, and finished routing the neck.

Body_and_neck.jpg

Happy with the results so far. Of course nothing without the occasional screw-up. Specially when you drop the just finished neck on the floor...... :D

Neck pocket and the neck are tight fit. Yes!!! I can lift the guitar from it's neck while it's pressed in the body.

Now waiting for trem and pups to route these out of the body.

Will probably spray layer of spray putty on body before I start sanding final shape in the body. (So I can get sides real nice and tight.)

Edited by RGGR

Are you going to put a laminate on the headstock?

Why, would I wanna do that? The body and headstock will be same metallic Candy Apple red color. With sanding I can get nice flat and smooth surface on the headstock.

No laminates on there.

Or do you mean to mask marks caused by dropping it on the floor? Neh, no need to. Everything cool there.

Edited by RGGR

Quick question. On this project guitar neck tutorial (http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/neck2.htm) I bumped in to the following pics.

nk13.jpg

nk14.jpg

My question is now, does anybody know what are those small little washers behind the screws. In hardware store I found some stainless screws that were a little to short (1.5"), and some that were a little to long (1"). Proper size will take some more searching, I guess. I think some 1 3/8" screws will do.

But those little washers? Are they any special or just 'standard' hardware rings. They look like recessed washer of some sort. Thanks.

Edited by RGGR

Checked Stewmac's Neck Ferrules again, and discovered that they are 5/8" inch. That's bigger than the regular Ibanez neck ferrules. Drawn model of neck holes in Autocad, and saw that these big ones just don't look good. :D

Checked Scott at Vwallguitars and he told me the regular Ibanez ones are $18 a set.

I almost choked in my beer. Auch!!!

After little search, saw that www.musikraft.com has set of smaller 1/2" ones available.

Neck Ferrules

Edit: After brainwave I checked voxhumana.nl and luckily they have these puppies available (sometimes these things are right under your nose and you're not even seeing them). Not sure the size yet, but they look alright.

neck_ferrules.jpg

Wasn't it Bismark who said - It's the d*mn small things that drive me crazy.

Edited by RGGR