'60's Teisco Restoration Project

I haven't had much time to build this summer since I'm still working full time and running a side biz.....I have managed to find time to start a little restoration project on an old '64-ish Teisco hollow body. I don't know what the original finish was but it was partially refinished in a red stain when I purchased it.

The plan is to make it a sweet, gloss white jazz box. I'll post pics (links) as I progress. Here is the first sanding prior to body filler and leveling off the base.

Teisco Step #1

I have her filled, primed and then refilled to level off the low spots. I also had some binding separation - minor stuff but enough to make an ugly line here and there. I filled those and leveled with body filler/glazing/topping compound. I've heard people call it all different names but it's not Bondo brand.

This is a basic resto project so I won't bother with the details since all of that info is available elsewhere on the site and has been posted by folks much better at this than me :D I'm just looking for a sweet wall hanger when she's done.

Here's more pics.

Teisco #2

Teisco #3

You can see the glaze coat I use for filling in the pic. I prefer it to wood filler because it is thinner, spreads easier and fills better. It's also compatible with lacquer, poly and most everything else you'd use to finish a guitar. It dries quick (too quick sometimes!) and is sandable in a few minutes.

Nouseforone Posted on Sep 14 2004, 01:46 PM

where did you get this beautiful guitar?i like all those old vintage guitars

I actually bought this one from a memeber on PG (that I haven't seen here in quite a while). I usually pick them up when I'm lurking on guitar sites and see one for sale or on ebay. The prices on ebay can get higher than I like to pay for these so you have to let a lot of them go. I only like to pay $100 or less for the old Teisco's. Pawn shops in larger towns are a good source also.

Nicksguitar Posted on Sep 14 2004, 01:49 PM

She's gonna be sweet when you get her finished. I like those rare old guitars, you can play them out and no one else is playing them

Yeah, I love them too. Unfortunately I'm not much of a guitar player - too many strings for me :D I do have a decent collection of guitars going though. I have some nice signed guitars including the "Skunk" Baxter PR5 (he signed it at the Epi factory during NAMM this summer), a Willie Nelson signed classical guitar, some old basses and a few Teisco's. I MUCH prefer guitars hanging on the walls in my house than pictures. My wife is coming around to my way of thinking........slowly..........The bonus is I can always pull them down, tune them up and jam on them. Can't do that with a painting of a bowl of fruit!!

But you can air guitar a bowl of fruit. LOL. Well the pawns in LA really stink. I ask what guitars they have and they give me answers like fender and Epi. Not the style or anything. Well maybe i have to go to one. Well are forums good places to try and find guitars for sale, besides PG because i dont know anyother forum but my robotics forum.

ebay is probably your best place to start if you can't find them locally. The forums are chancy - I have had good luck so far but you never know. With ebay and paypal you have a chance of getting your money back if you do get burned (I've never been burned on ebay either).

You'll want to try the out of the way pawn shops. They usually have the cool stuff that the bigger shops won't take. I take a road trip to Madison every couple of months and hit the "dives" in the old neighborhoods for the deals. The bigger places don't have what I'm looking for and they always want too much money for it. Of course Madison (WI) is not LA so I don't know if you want to go to the "dives" there.........I'm sure our bad neighborhoods are nothing compared to yours B) I always come out alive :D

Teisco's on the 'bay

Back to the topic.....I shot another coat this week but then the weather turned rainy and humid. Today was nice and the next 4 days look good so I should have some progress this weekend.

I've had a few minutes to keep going. I had to wait for the paint to dry enough to wet sand. The pic is the headstock wetsanded prior to polishing and I am in progress on the wetsanding of the body. The body has NO flat surfaces so I can't use a block backer. It is slowing me down but I should have the body wetsanded by the end of the day.

Teisco HS Pre-Polish

I am planning a burst edge but am undecided on color. There was some nice W/B/W/B/W binding on the top but the white had soaked in the red from the PO. I didn't want to sand too much away and end up with a rounded edge so I just covered it. I was thinking black burst to help the vintage look but a can of blue metallic keeps calling me every time I walk by it :D Maybe I'll just flip a coin.....I am also undecided on bursting the edge of the HS or leaving it white. Ideas???

Body wetsand is complete!

Teisco Back post WS

Teisco Front post WS

I sprayed the final coat already and now I guess I wait until next weekend to tackle any more on this. It's coming along nicely so far. I was wondering why it was taking so long to wet sand and realized I pulled a piece of 1500 grit out of my 600 grit pile :D Once I switched to 600 it went fast. I use the 1500 for a final wetsand (2000 if it needs it) before I polish. I use 600 between coats just to degloss and level off the paint.

I hate waiting......time to think of a new project. I have 3 pieces of mahogany (24x22x2) that are itching to be made into something....

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a bit more progress - I STILL hate waiting for paint to dry :D I have the body paint wetsanded and polished but found a few blems I am going to correct. Here's what she will look like someday.....

Full Shot

Body Shot

I am considering that black edge burst more now since the control plate is white. Either I burst the edge or make a new B/W/B plate.