Chrome finishes

LGM Guitars

Is anyone ever tryed powder coating a guitar and if answer is positive how cool it turned out and + vs -?????

I dont even know if that is posible ('cos of static electriciti and so on)

You need a metal surface for powder coating, so a guitar body won't work. Also, the heat needed to cure it would probably cause the wood to crack, if not when it gets hot, then when it cools down and the powder coat would flake if you could even get it to stick at all.

What if you had sheet metal cut out and conformed to the body by a really strong adhesive of some sort? The metal would get really hot though and still crack the wood I would imagine.

Would it be possible to get a mirror that was tinted for colour and thin enough to apply to the top of the body by means of a adhesive? The trick would be that it would have to be split in half though to cut out the pickup cavities and bridge as well. I know there are a couple of companies around here who deal with glass and mirrors that can probably do something custom for me, although the glass would have to be really thin, like 2mm or so and it would be very fragile. Even so the electronics cavity would have to be routed a little more so the pots stick up enough for the knobs to fit properly.

Sorry for bringing this thread up, it should be pinned. Kinda answered some of my other questions though.

• 1 year later...

Is anyone ever tryed powder coating a guitar and if answer is positive how cool it turned out and + vs -?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need a metal surface for powder coating, so a guitar body won't work. Also, the heat needed to cure it would probably cause the wood to crack, if not when it gets hot, then when it cools down and the powder coat would flake if you could even get it to stick at all.

What if you had sheet metal cut out and conformed to the body by a really strong adhesive of some sort? The metal would get really hot though and still crack the wood I would imagine.

This is sort of what I was thinking. If you had a guitar body with no bevels or curves, you could cut sheet metal parts for the front and back, and even bend pieces for the sides if you really wanted to. Then just get 'em chromed, rivet them into the body, and you're all set.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would it be possible to get a mirror that was tinted for colour and thin enough to apply to the top of the body by means of a adhesive? The trick would be that it would have to be split in half though to cut out the pickup cavities and bridge as well. I know there are a couple of companies around here who deal with glass and mirrors that can probably do something custom for me, although the glass would have to be really thin, like 2mm or so and it would be very fragile. Even so the electronics cavity would have to be routed a little more so the pots stick up enough for the knobs to fit properly.

Sorry for bringing this thread up, it should be pinned. Kinda answered some of my other questions though.

lpnewcent.jpg

Les Paul New Century.

LGM Guitars,

If you do Chrome plate another guitar body, plate .020” nickel sulfamate or better yet Nickel/cobalt sulfamate as the compressive stress is far less, at least it is with my solution. The idea here is to build the nickel up enough that when the wood moves the nickel will retain its shape regardless of what the wood is doing. It would be better to use an electroform board instead of wood. Its Coef is way less.

Someday I’ll do one but I’ll electroform the top and back of the body separately and the join them together so the body will be hollow except where the bridge and neck attach. I'll use sort of a spar that will hold it all together. The body shape could be made solely of nickel.

• 2 years later...

sims custom shop in the UK offer chroming.. But even on Matt Bellamy's guitars they can't guarantee a perfect finish.. What can you do? Personally I'd go with the paint option or build a metal guitar to be chromed, at least the results are predictable!