Gfs Pickups

litchfield

Any opinions? I am thinking about buying a lil puncher, which they claim is a bardin knock off, to put in my tele. What do I have to lose? a few bucks and the 60 cycle hum from my tele? Fine by me. I like the bardens, but they're kinda rare now.....Anybody buoght any GFS pups from Guitar fetish on the bay??

Here's a link

Also thinkin about a pair of Dream 180s for my Schecter....

B) I was thinking the same thing... I was looking at buying their "Hot" Alnico over wound Strat set... similar to some Fender Texas Specials ... I have not made the plunge and drop the $45 yet... I checked out alot of his e-bay feedback... which has a pretty good track record.... However... I did ask one of his customers how well the pups are and how the quality was.... I'm still waiting for a reply... and that was about a month ago :D

He does have some very attractive prices... and a ton of parts ..... if you do go w/ GFS... please post yur opinion.... Also he is listed o Harmony Centeral's site too !!!!

I've read about GFS's...at HarmonyCentral & elsewhere.

Thus far everyone: Likes Em.

(Especially their "vintage staggered (oversized)" Fender-Copy pups/ BUT/ are made in a Regular Ol' Humbucking Size).

Btw, what-I've-read has no "links" to trying-to-sell these items, as far as I can tell....

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey, I just wanna revive this thread in hopes that we'll get some more submissions of reviews on these things... cause I'd hate to go back on my Seymour Duncan choices for some of these in my current build... and then regret it later. So lets see what some more recent people that have used them around here have to say! Woohoo! (trying to build up the excitement??)

Hopefully some people can compair them to like stock LP pickups, PRS, Seymour Duncan, etc, quality, look, and sound wise.

Thanks,

Chris

Hopefully some people can compair them to like stock LP pickups, PRS, Seymour Duncan, etc, quality, look, and sound wise.

Chris

I've bought a few sets of GFS pickups already --for the price, they're worth the gamble.

But I was mostly attracted to the retro look of some of their models, and for that, at any rate, they're great. The guy behind GFS definitely has some great ideas there, and he's making an effort to put out something different--check out his wood-covered pups--they're beautiful!

In terms of build quality, I'd say they're downright excellent. I mean, it's hard to tell, so I'm just going by finish, fit, things like that. All of that is great--can't find a flaw on any of the pickups I bought. Even the cabling looks high quality-- compared to some of the other pickups I have here--and it's at least neatly done. On some of the pickups I bought he even sent me two different rings (chrome and black plastic). And of course he gives all the screws, springs etc and decent instructions (I've bought pickups that gave none of those--and try finding pickup screws!)

Soundwise, well, that's just way too subjective. Most of the GFS pickups I tried seemed a bit 'sterile' in sound to me...but it's impossible to say why, and it could be because of the guitar I was mounting them into. Could also because I picked them up cheap and I just 'imagine' that they can't sound as good as overpriced boutique stuff.

Anyway, since most players seem to send their guitars through various stompboxes before the signal even gets to the amp, I don't see how it's really possible to say that one pickup is better than the other.

All I can say is that a GFS pickup will set you back $25 (at auction) and the equivalent Seymour Duncan will cost you, what, $80?

Personally, I prefer the sound of money rustling calmly in my wallet...

On the other hand, I didn't go to GFS for the P90 I need for my next project --instead, I went right to the source, got lucky and bought a brand new Gibson for $35.

But then, I prefer the 'authentic' sound for certain pickups-- like my tele, which has Fender pups in there. I'd pick up a set of real Rickenbackers for my current project too --but I don't feel like dropping $300 on them!

I bought a pair of ceramic Tele pickups from his blowout page for about $25. They're a little on the bright side, but that's ok. If I were doing high tech recording I'd probably spring for some Duncans or something. But for playing live, they're plenty ok. And cheap.

I just got a set of Grover lookalike tuners from him for a new secret project. I'll let you know ... :D

I bought a GFS Crusader and a Vintage '59 (bridge) a couple of weeks ago from the Guitar Fetish Yahoo store. I'm very pleased with the result.

I put the Crusader in the bridge of my Carvin Bolt kit. In there it gets some nice and chunky metal tones but, unlike some other high-output humbuckers I've tried, it also has an upper mid spike that helps it cut through well (ie it doesn't go muddy). It also sounds good split where it takes on sort of a hot-midrangy single coil sound, sort of like the SD QuarterPound.

I put the Vintage '59 in the bridge of my Ibanez Artcore Talman along with a SD Seth Lover in the neck. (The stock ceramic Ibanez ACH humbuckers weren't very good.) Putting these two pickups in the guitar really helped it out a lot. They work together really well. The Seth Lover has a little more bite to it but that may be due to it not being potted where the GFS is. Comparing the build quality of the Seth Lover to the Vintage '59 you could see a little more attention to detail on the Seth but I don't think that it would affect the sound quality that much.