My first 100% self built guitar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! First time poster here! I have recently started to look into building my own guitar and I wanted to chime in with my experiences here! I am a carpenter's assistant. I live in Long Island, New York. Many of you have asked questions about that foam roller that tsl used. I can confirm that they can in fact be purchased here in the USA. I used one about two weeks ago to paint a wall at a job we were on. I used the same *exact* model that tsl has a picture of. My boss purchased it and I wasn't with him but I know for a fact that it was either from Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse. It was most likely from Home Depot. I did a quick search on HomeDepot.com for that product and didn't get a satisfactory result *but* at Lowes.com I did find a very similar item. Check this link out:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDet...00001077-03700C

Hopefully that link works. If not, let me know. I am sure you can find that same 4 inch foam roller at any major hardware store. Hope I helped someone out! I will try finding out exactly where it came from tommorow!

• 4 weeks later...

tsl: I would be interested in getting more info on how you finished your neck. considering using linseed oil for my project neck but haven't found all that much information on finishing necks with oils. *thinking out loud* maybe a tutorial on this subject would be worth considering?

what kind of linseed oil did you use? raw? boiled? what quality? manufacturer?

after you applied the oil, did you wax or something?

is it as durable as normal lacquer?

my project is really starting to bug me. finishing a neck isn't as simple as I first thought :D

I know... I should do a tutorial on this.... it's in the pipeline, but I'm so busy.

It's all in the sanding, really.

That roller looks okay. You could even use a toothbrush to put the paint on.... as long as you sand, sand, sand and sand.....

As far as the neck: I used boiled linseed oil. I could give you a brand, but that'd be useless as I'm in Holland. The feel of an oiled neck is in my opinion so much better than a laquered neck. Just wipe it on, wait a few minits and wipe off the excess. Do this about 5 times and you're in the ballpark.

Just remember to occassionally (every three months or so) put on some new oil.

Coen

I think you can find them at Sherwin Williams.. they look just the same as he used... Like I've said before I used them to paint the metal doors and they do leave a small streak where the roller goes on each side.. but with the right technique.. you can paint without many at all.. and he's right.. you just sand it down and go over it again... I'm gonna try to find a link from Sherwin Williams site

Matt

As far as the neck: I used boiled linseed oil.

Just remember to occassionally (every three months or so) put on some new oil.

Ok... so... I've seen/heard people say that boiled linseed oil is the one to use. so far only one person has told me that cold-pressed/raw linseed oil (of the highest quality I can find) should be used. So, is there any difference between them as far as using them for necks is concerned?

yeah, a brand name would probably be useless to me. I'm just looking for the "I asked for a high-quality oil" or "I just took the cheapest one I could find" kind of comment :D

guessing the "oil every now and then" thing is why warmoth don't want people to use oil finishes on their necks.