My first 100% self built guitar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AlexVDL

Did you made the body and neck yourself or prefab?

How did you spray the paint, just from a can or with a air pressure spraygun?

How did you get the paint so mirror clear without the orange skin effect?

Oh man if I see this guitar I also want to do a first paintjob!

I have a les paul custom I would like to convert to a Zakk Wylde Bulseye, but I can't paint and I have no airpressure paintgun :D

But as for your guitar Coen, it's supercool, very nice made. Love the gold accent B) Is there going to be a logo on the headstock? Maybe a "Wolters Custom Guitars" logo?

:D

LMG,

That's the camera... this guitar has no flaws...hehehe... There are a few flaws, but I don't touch it anymore. I'm the only one who knows where the flaws are and plan to keep it that way...hehe

Alex,

I made it all myself. No prefab for me.

I didn't spray the paint... I rolled it on. I have no area where I can spray paint witout pissing off everybody 'round here. Just used a cheap "Gamma roller" and nitro laquer. I had so much bad luck with laquer, but eventually nitro saved my ass.

As far as getting rid of orange peel... it's way easier than you probably think... Just sand, sand sand sand and sand with a block up to grit 2000 and polish with Commandant 4 & 5 (for you non-Dutch readers: "Commandant is a pollishing compound).

No logo for me. I used linseed oil for the neck ( I hate laquer), but plan to have a few neck plates made with a logo.

Gorgeous instrument - congratulations!

If you can show a picture of what you used, I would be interested

i am also always interested in alternatives, mostly because i have to paint on a balcony of an apartment building, so the smell of paint goes to few apartments near mine.

anyway, your guitar sure is a beauty. i like the neck especially . i would love to make a neck from scratch one day myself. if it's not a secret, how much did you spend on wood and hardware? what power tools did you use, etc?

Thanks for all your kind replies...:-)

Now regarding the roller:

It's really not tougher to get a finish on a guitar with a roller. These rollers allow you to put on a very thin coat and after that it all comes down to sanding.

Neven, to answer your question: I think building the neck was not the hardest thing to do. It's all done by hand, except for the trussrod channel, for which I used a cheap router, a cheap drill press was used for the pearloid dots and the tuner holes.

I used an even cheaper $15 jig saw to cut out the neck. I used my 62 Japanese RI neck as a template.

I paid $25 for the neck blank (and got a waaaay better looking one for free from my supplier. I'll save that one for my next project, a Telecaster).

$10 for the Indian Rosewood fretboard blank, $15 for the double action trussrod, $7,50 for the Tusq nut, $45 for the Gotoh tuners and $2 for the string retainer.

Frets (6100) were $6.

I completed this guitar about 2months ago but had a lot of bad luck with the paint. I tried almost everything before I settled with Nitro... I love nitro!!!!

After I completed the guitar I bought me a cheap belt sander, a cheap dremel copy and a better jig saw, so my next job will be alot easier.

The bottom line is that building a great guitar can be done, even if you're an absolute beginner like me.

Is it expensive? If you don't count your hours, tools and see it as a hobby... no!!! There's no way you can buy a handbuilt neck like that for $50

Oh, I almost forgot... the tool I used the most and really couldn't do without is also the cheapest one.....

A piece of straight wood with a beltsander sandingpaper glued to it....

Feel free to ask my anything you want.

Coen

Coen ,it seems form the pictures that it is a 'hardtail' , Did you have any trouble getting the holes straight through the body?

Also, When you used the jigsaw , did your blade bend when turning corners? because mine does.

Thanks,

John.

John, yes it's a hardtail. I really didn't have much troubles, got it done with alot of luck.

My drillpress is too small to reach the stringholes, so I had to do that by hand.

I drilled with my dremel from one side about halfway in the body, aligning the drill by hand.

After that I drew (after triple checking) the holes on the back of my guitar and started drilling with the dremel. I was really surprised about halfway I reached th holes I drilled from the top and they lined up just perfectly.

I used a 2mm drill, so it was very accurate.

My old jig saw did bend the blade indeed, but I managed to sand everything straight.

The roller really sound like an ideal method to use for those of us without access to adequate ventiliation in our 'homes'. Rollers added to list of tools I need!!

A brief question about nitro finishes. This would be three processes I guess, sanding sealer, colour and clear?

Paul,

I agree. The only disadvantage of rollers is that you can't do sunburst finishes. Also, make sure you have a foam roller that's suitable for nitro laquer.

Sanding sealer, color coat and clear coat. I still can't believe why people have to put on 40 coats to obtain a great finish....

..Also, make sure you have a foam roller that's suitable for nitro laquer.

Sanding sealer, color coat and clear coat. I still can't believe why people have to put on 40 coats to obtain a great finish....

Hmm, may need your advice here - presumably there is a kind of fosam that isn't affected by the nitro - any names (not brands - I'm in the UK) I should look out for?

You're not saying ONE coat of each are you?! B)

This sounding better and better... :D

Oh, I almost forgot... the tool I used the most and really couldn't do without is also the cheapest one.....

A piece of straight wood with a beltsander sandingpaper glued to it....

Feel free to ask my anything you want.

Coen

Looks really good. What did you use the wood/sandpaper for? What did you use to glue the sandpaper to it? Did you cut the pickguard?

The beltsander/glue idea seems like a good one. I never thought of that. I've been trying to think of ways to avoid paying StewMac $45 for 15 yards of that Stikit stuff. Are the beltsander papers expensive though? It might work out to be the same price :D

Rocket,

I used that for almost anything.... Making the sides of the neck straight, sanding the sides of the body, I even used it to take away some thickness of the neck heel.

With grit 80 it's also perfect te bevel the frets (yeah, I beveled my frets with that thing).

The sanding paper is not too expensive. Here in Holland I pay abut $5 for three pieces. One piece will last a guitar!!!

I also used this sand paper to sand the curve of the neck..

Coen