My first 100% self built guitar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes,

Yeah. I put the neck between my workbench and a chair... clamp it down.. wrap the sandpaper around it and start sanding. Takes about three hours, but there's not much of a chance you can go wrong.

My neck is huge (.940 at 1st fret, 1" at 12th), so a whizard neck will probably take a bit longer.

Coen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlexVDL

Yeah my point.. Coen is herassing me all the time.. calling me a stupid kid :D

Wait untill he sees me and I go sit on him... then he will cry out for mercy!! Hehehe I'm a SUMO kid B)

• 2 weeks later...

amazing. whenever I see a strat built from scratch I think "hey, I want to do that, only slightly different". then I realize I don't have the money etc. and go "oh ****, well, guess I'll settle for that parts guitar I'm working on, even if it's not gonna be a YJM strat..."

I don't suppose you got some pics from the building process?

86barettaguy,

No, I don't have any pics of the building process. I only bought my dig. camera after I completed the guitar.

However, this is my first guitar and I used the tutorials on the projectguitar.com site to make mine.

I can't stress enough that building a guitar is NOT that difficult (IMHO). All you need is time, ALOT of patience and the help of the wonderful people on this forum.

Hey Coen - how about pics of the roller? Fancy exporting? :D

B)

how did you shape the neck (back and front)? the tutorials are hazy. did you use a rasp like it says in the making a neck tutorial or did you use a dremel exclusively?

body question: why is it necessary to cut a blank into two and glue it together again? what's the point of cutting in the first place?