Guitar Of The Month For November

Time once again!  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, it was down to between the two quilted maple ones. But then, after reviewing the choices, I could not in good consicence vote against mpeg2's tele. I'm not sure what it was about that guitar, but if I could have any of the guitars this time, it would have to be that one.

Everyone did a great job, and I wish everyone good luck! :D

Go Southpa! :D

...i love SG's B)

and a repeat of that post from me.

For me, it's a battle between the basses... and I would gladly play either one.

Let's see... fretless or headless... they're both cool... this is a tough decision.

BTW: Who posted that Anastasia? It looks like the only post they ever made at PG.

D~s

I'm having a bit of a problem with somebody saying this is my "made from scratch guitar" except for the neck which is a carvin neck.

The craftsmanship is very good, but I've always found that the neck is the most difficult (for lack of a better term) and critical part of a guitar.

I just don't feel it should be called made from scratch in this case. It's a great piece of artwork, I don't particularily care for the guitar personally, but the work is very nice.

I think it is their only post, yesterday when post counts were still here I saw the guitar and noticed the person has only one post count. I also find it interesting that they have a full website which makes it look like they are building and selling guitars, but most of the pages don't work. Even the picture they put up with the guitar has the webaddress across it, just kinda seems a little spammy to me :D

Jeremy, I was going to comment somenthing similar, but held back because I am not the best guitar builder there is and I thought that I wasn't the most indicated to do this. I certainly was anoyed to the fact that the pic had the web address across it, like if you cut and paste "ala Cam", that's why I didn't voted for it! My vote went to bassman! it was close between him and mushy's guitar. So I went to look at the close details and I thought that the base was better construsted. Good luck to all, they are indeed great pieces of work!

LGM,

I am glad someone mentioned what most of us where thinking about the- "from scratch exept for the neck" clause. Hmmm... what is the hardest part of an instrument to construct and plan, or at least the most important part of it? However, this is not say that I have much experience with inlay work- good job on that Anastasia.

PS> the pics on my page (besides my bass) are of my lovely wife and I, as well as our newborn baby boy!

Peace,

Ryan

Edited by bassman

Oh well, its all in fun, for the most part. B) We all know what we are capable of and always strive to do a good job. Personally, I've always wanted an SG shaped guitar but thats about how far it goes. I'll get busy on some CAD drawings of the unique "innards" of this guitar. There will always be a flair of originality in my work. I had the intention of putting it up for sale but am now having second thoughts, too much fun to play! :D

Way to go on the family situation Ryan! :D

Next project will definitely be a bolt-on neck and am looking for something other than mahogany for a change. I just met up w/ a "friend of a friend" who recently bought a woodshop. The previous owner left behind a ton of wood including rosewood, bubinga, bigleaf maple etc. so I found a potential local supplier. I'll still use the mahogany I have for a base but I'd like to try my hand at a maple top. Time to get away from the stainless too! :D

Southpa.

For me its only about the fun... I just like it when things are clearly stated. ie I have always wanted to "physically" build and design my own house, many folks out there like to say "Yeah, were are building a custom house." What they mean is that they are paying someone else to build the house for them, no biggie but for some odd reason it kind of annoys me a bit. Perhaps it is only because I like to actually do nearly everything on my own even when I have no previous experience- fix my truck, demo rooms in my 1910 house and rebuild them, refinish my floors, build instruments, fix instruments, do my own plumbing and electric, build my own hardwood furniture, hot rod my Vino scooter...etc. I get the feeling that a lot of people in this forum are of a similar type.

Peace,

Ryan

i don't find the neck to be the toughest part at all.i was amazed at how easy it really was the first time i made one(although i did fret it rather badly...figured that part out on the next one)

but in my opinion finishing and carving a top are much harder,two things which are total class on that instrument

furthermore,i ,personally,(that means it is my opinion,i am not making a moderating stand at this moment),find it distasteful when these things get brought up.and i see no reason for it in this case,considering the first words after "from scratch" are "EXCEPT for the carvin neck thru blank".and that guitar OBVIOUSLY has just as much difficulty involved as ANY plain jane made from scratch neck and all guitar i have ever seen

Hi all,

I see I started a bit of commotion with my post. OK, let me explain.

First of all, I never dealt with building guitars ar doing inlay work before I met my boyfriend. And that was a year ago. He was making a guitar here and there just as a hobby. Mostly, traditional shapes. I got inspired by what he was doing and asked him if I can design one. He said OK, but that it's going to be mostly my own project.

Before he used to make his own necks, but when he say my design, he said that he wants that guitar to look perfedt, but at the time he didn't have the right tools to make the neck perfect, so we went for the pre-made neck. (however, all the new guitars he's making, are REALLY from scratch). As for the sentence "from scratch, but with pre-made neck", well, gee, sorry you big guys if I said something wrong. Just remember, I never even cared about guitars up to about a year ago, so I simply DON'T KNOW what the right thing to say is. I just wanted to show my first work, because I was prowd of it.

Next, as for the web-site, yes, I am in the process of building it right now, that's why it's not finished yet. We got so many positive comments about Baphomet, that I convinced my boyfriend to try doing it for a living. And as for the web-page across the picture, it's just to protect it from reproduction.

And the last thing: why I never posted here before? Well, let's see, I guess because I never had anything to say, since I don't know a thing about making guitars (that's my boyfriend's specialty). However, I spent a great deal of time in the inlay tutorial section and browsing this board for reference on inlays.

Well, sorry everydoby for sticking my nose into your little community.

2moderator, if you think I did the wrong thing by coming here, please remove our guitar from the vote. Thank you.

P.S. thanx to all who actually had something good to say.

2moderator, if you think I did the wrong thing by coming here, please remove our guitar from the vote. Thank you.

no,as brian has made clear on MANY occasions,this gotm is open to everyone,and any "sour grapes" comments made by other members have nothing to do with anything

and one more "personal" note...

i feel shamed that some on this forum have made these comments in this particular case,considering the quality of the instrument and that there was absolutely NOTHING misleading in anastasia's original posting of this entry.

AGAIN,it clearly states the premade neck,and always has

Anastasia- You did nothing wrong. Some people believe that "from scratch" means that you bought only the hardware and pickup, and some think the neck isn't included. I doesn't matter how you label it, as long as you say which parts you bought or made (which you did). Some die-hard debaters may take this as an untruth, but it's really just a misunderstanding. As for only having 1 post, this shouldn't matter, because an first-time member shouldn't be predjudiced against for being new. "Judge not by the number of posts, but by the content of the posts". And there's no way that awesome beast is being removed from out poll!

Edited by mushy the shroom

"For the record"

Everyone who mentioned anything about the Baphomet "neck" also gave a compliment. I do not think that anyone meant to lessen the credibility of such a unique and well executed design. I think it (Baphomet) is a damn sweet instrument, and the simplistic nature of Mushy's is something that I love as well, I have been toying with the more simplistic side of design myself.

As far my opinion about the neck being the most difficult part, at least the most tedious (yet enjoyable) I meant the whole neck, including the fretboard and fretjob. If you look again you will see I followed this with a disclaimer that I have very little experience with inlay work- thus admitting that it may very well be more diificult to do than neck building.

The point of this being brought up was only to clarify that the neck was premade- something which may have been "clear", but which I personally did not realize the first time i checked Baphomet.

Finally, every instrument posted this month is worthy of praise in one way or another- they were all crafted and thought out very well.

Westheman, I know I can only speak for myself but I think absolutely no harm was meant by any of us.

Build ON...

Ryan

1) I didn't vote for Anastasia because of the satanic stuff... but that's a personal thing.

2) I don't give a ________ who made the neck.

3) I was torn between several of the guitars that were built by guys who have helped me... and that did influence me. I want to cheer for the people who have been cheering for me.

And I think that others probably feel as if somebody (Anastasia) has walked into thier "rec-room" and flopped down on the sofa. PG is their second-home, and this is where they hang out with thier friends. And when it came time to hold "their" contest, a stranger appeared with a serious contender.

Wes: You can't blame humans for these types of reactions. It's to be expected.

Anastasia: Welcome to PG. I hope you'll stick around and share your knowledge.

Bassman: I don't care what you meant. I just like your bass.

All of you: I expect to have my first project ready for the December contest. If the bolt-on neck doesn't fold over as soon as I put tension on the strings, you're in for some serious competition. You have been warned.

D~s

I never meant any harm by what I said.

I just feel that if you spent a year on this project, there was a LOT you could have contributed. Look how many people write long detailed posts about their projects, first, second, or 50th. You've done some massive inlay, a very unique shape, and a great finish. Those are the things PG is about, contributing your experiences.

The picture with a web address across it in your first and only post just comes across as "hey look at me, I build guitars".

Again, I'm not saying it to be a prick, just my initial reaction.

Personally I think there would have been HUGE interest in this project on this site as you built it, it's a shame you never posted before.

I said the work looked very good, and that still stands, there was a big debate over GOTM recently with from scratch and built from parts and modification, I guess I am still thinking about that time and just felt saying built from scratch except for the neck to be a bit of an oxymoron. Kinda like saying, this is my mint original ferrari I'm selling, except it has a 327 chev in it B)

Again, I didn't mean to come across as a prick, I just know enough people out there who are trying to pull the wool over others eyes that I call it as I see it. It was nothing personal, and if you had posted here in the past, even just to ask questions or to introduce yourself, I probably never would have said anything.

Anyway, that's all I've got left to say on this one :D

Everyone can relax. It's just GOTM on PG.com. It's not a cure for cancer.

I'm not sure if "from scratch" should exclude pre-built necks (neck thru or not, unshaped or not). GOTM is not my forte'; it's Brian's realm, and his rules that he watches over.

I figured you guys might want this bit of info about the Nebula. It seems everyone is focusing on Anastasia's entry, so....

The Nebula:

Technical Info:

Neck (bought from Carvin):

* 24 Fret

* 25" Scale

* Ebony Fingerboard

* Maple Neck

* Two Graphite Reinforcement Bars

* Two Way Truss Rod

* 11 Degree Headstock Angle (non scarf-joint)

* 1.71" Width At 1st Fret

* Side Fret Markers (but no front fret-markers)

* Graphite Nut

* Thin profile

Headstock:

* Carvin Premium Tuners (soon to be replaced with Steinberger Gearless Tuners)

* Removable Quilted Maple Veneer (covers up truss rod)

Now, you have two guitars with pre-built necks in the From Scratch category. Both are original designs otherwise, with cool inlays and great figured woods.

I would say, in the name of....something...., that we let this one slide for now, and vote on what we like best in this category. If a pre-built neck sways you to something else, then so be it. Tough news for the entrants with those pre-built necks, but that's how it goes.

We'll get Bri to post an OFFICIAL definiton of "from scratch" to clear up any confusion.