Guitar Of The Month For December

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial sites).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and Download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till midnight EST the 23rd of November then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month.

There will be more than one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered.

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you

EBJ's Traveler - from scratch (body & neck from lumber)

It is a travel guitar, designed to be as small as possible, with removable neck (bolt-on with bushings). The body shape is a slightly-reduced Gibson F5 mandolin; I wanted to work on it in anticipation of building a real mando next year.

The ball-end of the strings go into slots in the tailpiece; the other end is clamped with a locking string retainer, after stretching the string to pitch with pliers. It is actually possible to hold the string at perfect pitch while locking the string down; after installing all the strings & stretching them, the tuning is again adjusted with pliers (one at a time) and locked again; then the ends are clipped. After that, the fine tuners on the tailpiece then are used to bring all the strings back to exact pitch during use. The tuning stays stable to better than a semitone after removing the neck and bolting it back on multiple times.

This is my first neck & first binding job. Also first dye job.

I can fit the entire guitar, my V-amp2 and 2 days worth of clothes in my airline carry-on bag. Low action, ultra-light; the jumbo frets give it that almost-scalloped kinda feel. I really like it. Thanks to the many helpful people on the forum for guidance, especially Drak & Jeremey.

Specs:

Mahogany body, quilted maple cap

Stain black-sand back-red dye on top, Minwax polyurethane clear coat

7-layer bound F5-style body shape, contoured heel

Maple neck, 3-layer bound ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, bone nut

Locking string clamp from Washburn

Lace Chrome Dome humbucker, 250k volume pot

Schaller hardtail bridge w/fine tuners

Strat jack on the back, walnut cover

One neck bolt serves as a strap pin

Traveler.jpg

TravelBody.jpg

TravelFinish.jpg

TravelScroll.jpg

More pics:

back shot

neck shot

Seven string, massive 27.5" scale length, tuned BEADGBE. Heavy??? YES!! Clarity of notes?? LIKE YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE!! Sustain for days....

African mahogany (super bright piece), with Rock maple and African Mahogany through neck, with ebony veneer pinstripes. Ebony 1/4" stripes either side of the neck through. Satin Nitro lacquer, gloss headstock. Headstock features an Elm burl veneer, and a Paua Abalone logo.

EMG 707 pickups, grover locking tuners, tonepro bridge.

Construction started on October 22nd 2004, lacquer started on October 28th, and guitar assembled, wired, and set up on November 4th. Client recieved the guitar ready for a gig on Nov 5th (yes, yesterday). Yes, it was tight, but i managed to get it ready in time, and the gig was a success. Alloy flight case included.

Client comments:

"This guitar is better than i ever imagined, and i am going to sell all my others".

Email comments i had from punters that saw the guitar at the gig:

"Man that guitar was f#cken sweeeeeet!!! I actually thought it was one of those Max Cavalera ESPs (or LTDs). I was thinking that I'd f#cken love a guitar like that, so you might be hearing from me in the next...well couple of years cause I'm a poor c#nt, but still, I want one! "

"Its a stunner!! "

"i dunno who you are, but did you have something to do with andy's guitar, thats about the only thing i liked all night"

Special features:

1. Rear angled jack

2. Elm burl truss rod cover (elm/ebony/elm/ebony handmade ply)

3. Custom made dual threaded rod truss rod - special length

4. Reverse headstock

The client's requirements:

1. Note clarity

2. Heaviness

3. EMG 707

4. Reverse style body and headstock

5. Through neck

6. No "bling bling" (gold or chrome), but a shell logo is cool

7. Something that people can immediately identify as a custom guitar.

118-1869_IMG.jpg

a better pic of the headstock inlay is here...

118-1874_IMG.jpg

118-1871_IMG.jpg

118-1885_IMG.jpg

Click here for more pics...

It won't be a winner, but on behalf of 2 of my best friends I want to submit my new UV77MC.

It features a Mahogany body (one piece) with monkey grip and Lions claw (7 string) built by EKG guitars.

Passion and Warfare swirl done by Darren at About Time Designs

Clear coat and assembly done by myself

Neck and hardware from a UV7BK.

Eventually the neck will get pyramid inlays but I just don't have time for my own stuff right now, so anyway, here it is :D

I just wanted to show off Darren and Eddie's handiwork B)

UV77MC.jpg

Here's a better pic (bigger) next to the 911 JEM

http://pics.lgmguitars.com/pics/collection/UV77MC_911.jpg

Well here is my guitar, I did everything on the guitar. Everything was done from a few blocks of wood. Finish is not perfect...

-Brazilian rosewood fretboard gibson scale 12 radius 6105 frets

-Mahogany neck - fatter than a 59!

-Jettellog body

-High gloss nitro finish.

-Strings through the body

-inlaid headstock

-faux binding ala PRS

hardware:

-Grover tuners,

-Dimarzio Distortion neck and bridge

-My own Varitone switch,

-volume control

-three way switch.

Here are pics:

lpfull.JPG

lpback.jpg

Close up:

LPdone.jpg

The top is solid sitka spruce. The back and side are curly figured bubinga. It has maple wood bindings, they have a slight bit of curly figure to them. It has a paua abalone soundhole rossette. Ebony bridge and fingerboard, the PHV is also ebony. Lacquer finish buffed to very high gloss.

The sound is great, it has really good volume (the first thing I look for in a good acoustic), nice bottom end, with crisp, but not overpowering trebles. This is a great acoustic guitar.

Digitalcamerapictures001.jpg

Digitalcamerapictures012.jpg

Digitalcamerapictures030.jpg

Wow CGH ! That is truly a beautiful gutar ! :D When I first started thinking about building guitars years ago I originally wanted to make a quality acoustic. Now that I am in the process of building my first solid body, I have an even greater appreciation of the skill involved in building a fine acoustic instrument.

As I have never built an acoustic myself I have no real frame of reference, but it seems to me that a solid body has to be much more forgiving than an acoustic.

You have truly done a wonderful job ! One question, is that variation in color on the flat-top a trick of the light or camera ? It is the only thing that distracts from the guitars asthetics that I can see.

Fender4Me, no 'crosstalk' in the GOTM please in case you weren't aware of that.

PM him or start another thread, we try to keep this section completely free of crosstalk to keep it simple and easy to view the entries.

Kapishness?

:DB)

PS, don't even answer this post here, just an understanding nod of the head will do fine.

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first guitar and it is a classic RG to JEM. I did all the work on it myself except the wiring where my Dad helped me. Here are the specs:

Body: Basswood

Neck: Maple/Maple with frets 12-24 Scalloped and then refinished

Finish: Sanded down from black and now is Natural with a Poly finish.

Electronics: 2 Evolutions and a Blue Velvet in the middle(all DiMarzio). 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 5-way Switch.

Hardware: Original Black Floyd Rose(black), Floyd Rose R4 Locking Nut(black), Rosewood Knobs.

FinalComparisonNew.gif

FinalFront.gifFinalSideScalloped.gif

For Progress Pics and More

Edited by Daniel