12 String Electronics?

sjaguar13

I have this ugly guitar that reminds me of a 12 string, but it's not. I have an extra 12 string neck I'm thinking about putting on it. I found a bridge of eBay. The only thing I don't know about is the pick ups. Do I need 12 string pick up, or are they close enough together that the current pick ups will work? Other than the bridge and neck, do I have to change anything else to make it a 12 string?

Thanks,

Justin

As long as the alignment is close your ok on the pup's. Some people swear by the Carvin pups because of all the pole pieces but to me experimentation is a way of life, plus starting out with your exsisting pup's might save you a lot of money :D

well there is a slight difference in the magnetic feild between the strings which you probably won't notice,but that is why you have f-spaced pickups,for the people who do.that's why i like blades instead.fuller sounding bends. :D it's very subtle though.chances are you wouldn't notice.

Chances are that there's not going to be too much string bending on a 12 string though. I have difficulty keeping the strings together while doing so. Besides which, the 2 strings together have quite a tension on them - worse than bending bass guitar strings...

My old Baldwin/Burns 12 string has 12 pole pieces per pickup, but arranged in two rows of 6 each - much like a humbucker layount. single coil inside though.

:D

whoops - double post!

well there is a slight difference in the magnetic feild between the strings which you probably won't notice,but that is why you have f-spaced pickups,for the people who do.that's why i like blades instead.fuller sounding bends. B) it's very subtle though.chances are you wouldn't notice.

Not true. F-spacing is purely cosmetic.

This is quite an old topic on Jemsite's forum. You can do a search there to learn more about the physics of pickups and magnetic fields.

~d~