Kenny Wayne Shepherd

I went to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd on Monday. All I have to say is he kicked major major ass. The guy has like 7 reliced strats. And when he played Voodoo Chile, he had a right-handed strat with a left handed neck put in so it looked like a lefty strung backwards like Jimi (except Jimi had a righty strung backwards) it was awesome. I seriously think he's going to be the next SRV, if not better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool you liked the show, I like him too.

It's funny, I hang on some other much more 'Fender' related forums where KWS has been raked over the blues coals for years now, he's pretty much dead meat they've ripped him apart so bad.

The KWS bandwagon has come and long gone in some parts by now, he was hot blues news about 5 years ago, I actually heard his new disc was much more pop oriented and he was leaving the blues behind, but I like his first disc a lot, very SRV.

Come to think of it, SRV has been raked over those same coals 1000 times too, and I still like SRV, saw him 5 times back in the days.

One Bad Hombre that boy was. :D

PS, I take points away for relic'd guitars. Poser!

:DB):D

ive never heard this kenny wayne shepard dude....but if u say hes the next srv then he must the next blues messiah. To me no1 comes close to SRV, that illusive tone that guitar merchants spend house and home over trying to attain is what sets srv apart from any other guitarist to pick up a six string.

O yeh and as for srv getting "raked over the coals" as it were, yeh u were rite...montreal jazz festival anyone??

RIP Stevie

I actually heard his new disc was much more pop oriented and he was leaving the blues behind

Not so much as pop as blues rock, I love it, because without a revolution the world of music is going to stay the same as it always has (and I'm glad it hasnt, I got tired of the Beastie Boys before I was born) and that just isnt natural. It is a new age of blues. He's still hanging onto blues, but it appears less than it used to. I'm in no way at all saying it doesn't appear as much as rock though, you can definitely hear the blues. You also don't hear the SRV in the vocals as much as you used to because most of his new songs are sung by him and his old singer sounds a lot like SRV, but the guitar is as good as ever.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

But another thing you have to consider is a couple years back the band started saying it's more about the band and not so much the guitars. I think its bull***t but whatever floats their boat. Everyone knows they only listen to it for the guitars for the most part hes one of the best guitarists alive. This had an effect on their newer songs AND his life performances, less solos, less intense solos, all a bunch of crap.

:D

Sorry...I'm not a KWS fan and I've never heard a note from the guy.

Why???

I have a pet peeve and it affects poor old KFC or whatever his name is too. This may be fair or unfair.

One of the reasons the guy was raked over the coals for so long, is that he is a parrot. That is.....doing someone else's thing.

I read an old article about him, his gear and his critics. I had to laugh. They suggested that he is an SRV clone, which he completely denied and then they went through his rig. It is almost IDENTICAL to SRV's. Hmm...ya ok.

I guess for me it's like this.

Nobody would have respect for me if I bought a basswood strat body, painted stripes on it, and started dressing, acting, playing like Eddie Van Halen. I just don't see this as any different.

Yet it happens all the time. If I (or you) became the next big thing on guitar, or merely got noticed in a big way.....whatever guitar we had, or whatever customization was done.....MANY would run out and buy the same gear and go cross-eyed trying to play just like the latest fad. That is why strats and Les Pauls go in and out of style, and many other brands too. If someone famous covers their guitar in gummy bears....well...buy shares in the gummy bear industry!! Cause every wanna-be is going to be needing them pronto! Ha!

I think the greatest guitarists in the world....EVH, SRV, JH, JP, JB, EC, MK...perhaps even PMS...are great because of their unique sound, approach, or style. When I see (or hear) of someone just ripping off another guitarist....I think it is a little pathetic.

I caught SRV not long before he died in a small town Canadian arena and he really was one of a kind. Very unique, very cool and a real passion for the instrument. He just did subtle things that nobody else did.

I'll just bet there are members of this forum that are innovators like EVH and SRV and I admire that!! You may never get the recognition you deserve, but at least you will never be a rip-off clone.

This is JUST my opinion. I really don't wish KFC or KWS or whatever his name is any ill. He's making a good buck and doing more than I am!!!!!!

Am I wrong on this one?? A lot? A little? or bang on??

What do YOU think!!

Guitarman

p.s. Originality is what drives me to make my dream guitar and to make it to my wishes and desires.....not someone else's.

Ah...you feel that I wrote this because I hope to anger people or start a fight.

Not at all!

I was more than clear that it is just one man's opinion and nothing more.

Also...to reassure you. It has been a topic that my bandmates, and my wife and I have talked about often. In fact...I found an old guitar world mag when Mike Mushok from staind (think that's right) was featured. He was using an Ibanez I believe (good guitars!) and had the strap duct-taped to the horn.

I found a collage picture of guitarists that are known or up and comers. More than half in the picture were duct-taping the strap the same way. Coincidence? or faithful followers of fashion.

Now if you want some major trolling.... see Ed Roman guitars web site. Interesting guy but REALLY opinionated. In fact....all other guitar brands are terrible (except the one's he fabricates...so surprising!)

Sorry if it seemed like a troll session. Not the intention! Besides. "Competition is for horses, not artists". People should not get upset about one person's opinion. Nobody would get particularly upset if I posted my preference for ice-cream. Really. There is no difference.

Guitarman B)

Dude, you are a troll, plain and simple, or you certainly have a style of posting that is trollworthy.

I'm not upset over your opinions or your ice cream, read my post again.

But you are trying anyway to 'up the flamecount'.

That is trolling.

You might want to take those 'insights' ( :DB) ) somewhere where they like that sort of stuff.

We're pretty laid back around here.

give KWS a listen.you admit you have never listened to him,but claim he is an SRV clone?

he is not.his sound is quite different from SRV and his licks are quite dissimilar.

KWS is at least as different from stevie as stevie was from jimi

oh,by the way...i have never played or even touched a fender tele...so i feel quite qualified to say they suck. :D

Drak,

Don't get your panties in a bunch sweetie!!

If you don't see things my way that's ok!! I would be surprised if everyone shared the same point of view.

After all....there are a ton of sheep-like guitarists who faithfully follow the fashion (whatever it may be) and it should come as no surprise if some of the followers don't like having their conformity mentioned.

Very nice of you to invite me off the forum. Very classy.

DEFINITELY laid back!! (Really laughing). Oh and the name calling....VERY laid back.

LET IT GO!!

Guitarman

p.s. are there any other forums I am not allowed to post on, or are there any other subjects that are just too frightening to mention? On what subjects must we all agree? It is hard to keep it straight and say only what everyone likes to hear.

p.p.s. Look at my other posts and see the tone. OR just make a knee-jerk judgement...your call.

On what subjects must we all agree?

admitedly though it would be quite a refreshing change if everyone was at least a LITTLE informed.

I've never heard a note from the guy.

this does not make me want to pay any attention to you.too bad you don't truly want to participate...you would rather bait