Kenny Wayne Shepherd

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitarman- with 17 total posts, and more than 90% of them in this thread alone (and one about to be deleted in another thread), you need to do a lot MORE reading, and a lot LESS posting.

Your initial post in this thread was absolute flame-bait. Pure and simple. Yes- there are pleny of other forums were this is NOT welcome. This is one of them.

Most arsonists come back to check out the fire they started.

This is your first warning. There is no second warning; you will simply have your account suspended for 2 weeks.

Are we clear? Good.

Scott- Do you have that same pic of EVH that I do- the one from approx. 1987 where his guitar strap is attached to the '1984 guitar' with duct tape? Yeah...I thought you might. :-)

So, let's see....1987....that would put Mike Mushok in about 7th grade. :-)

Look- some people dig KWS, and some don't. That's how it is, and that's how it's going to be. If you like him, then post here. If you don't, then keep it simple with a basic critique. Or just close the window and check out the rest of the site. You don't see me posting in the "Praise The Lord For Ed Roman" thread, do you?

People need to stop trying to convert others to their 'side'. You're not Kirk Cameron with a guitar, so don't pretend to be him.

It's called music THEORY for a reason- because it's not a LAW.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread about KWS: his albums, his gear, his influences, his tone, his playing style, etc...

Screw Kenny, that's over, let's talk about Eddie now.B)

Wes thinks he looks bad, I thought he looked pretty good in that pic for his age and all. Actually pretty well cut for an over-40 I thought.

I've seen some pics where he looked like a homeless schreck.

Yngwie blew up like a beachball didn't he? All roly-poly?

Remember when Yngwie was 'after' Eddie to do a showdown, and it was implied that Eddie was running away from him for like a year?

I mean, these ARE the important things, right?

:D

Wes thinks he looks bad, I thought he looked pretty good in that pic for his age and all. Actually pretty well cut for an over-40 I thought.

i know you are being tongue in cheek about the "important things" comment,but i just meant i heard he was drinking excessively and was having problems emotionally since his wife left,and that picture seems to confirm it.

i feel for the guy.i am not a big vh fan...but i respect eddie's work immensely,and i would hate to see him let that take his life down the wrong path

i never heard about the yngwie thing...why would a professional guitarist go after another like that?that is a boxing or wrestling thing,not a guitar thing :D

i removed that last post and copied it to the mods section for perusal.

so,guitar"man"...you break the rules by posting flamebait,then when you see nobody on your side you post a reply full of obsenities,showing the type of troll you really are.it never takes long for the troll to crack.i have been here for years and i have seen it many times.

so sorry you are upset...i am crying tears of angst for you...really i am :D

p.s. don't worry so much about the size of my package...i don't know why you are so curious...but really...it is sufficient B)

I used to have issues about all the so-called wannabe SRV players since I was such a huge fan of SRV and felt like I lost a friend that helped me through some pretty hard times when I learned of his death.

I would think these players were such posers. Then after I looked at the influence he had on my playing I realized I was just a wannabe and wanted to expand my style without losing his influence.

Once I realized that, it opened me up to other SRV inspired players and how they interpretted his music. I still love SRV's music and inspiration in my playing but I want to take it further...blend other great player's styles and make them all my own interpretation. I've realized it's gonna take this talent-lacking player my whole life and I still might not ever be where I want to be but it's fun tryin, hehe.

Now that I'm over the 'SRV-wannabe-player-hater' stage, I feel that KWS is a great player as well as several other Stevie-inspired players.

There's only one SRV but hey, if your gonna copy someone's playin' then that's a darn good player to copy.

I need to check out KWS' new album. I liked his first 2 but I admit the singer tried too hard to have that 'soul' in his voice IMHO. Haha, guess now I'm a 'Ray-Charles-wannabe-singer-hater'. :D

blah blah blah, I've babbled long enough. B)

There is a guy near the MD/VA/WVA border somewhere that is a SRV sort of clone, he put out a disc with a song called 'Tears Are Falling' that is an EXACT copy, damn near note-for-note perfect, rendition of SRV's Texas Flood (which is not Stevie's tune anyway), but with different lyrics, and I LOVED it, I was trying to hunt this guy down to see him locally, but it never panned out, I even e-mailed his booking agent, but got some weird reply that his girlfriend was just in an accident or something like that. I can't even remember his name now, but heck, I felt like if I could see this guy, it would be like having SRV right here in my backyard, I never saw a problem with that, I love good guitar players, I never had any problems with 'copycats', hell, all players are copycats to some extent.

Danny Gatton, one of the most extroadinary talents ever to pick up a guitar (RIP), you'd think HE was completely original.

...Until you heard a Les Paul record!

Then it would be -immediately- evident who little Danny listened to as a young'un. His basic style had Les Paul's technique written all over it, and once you hear a Les Paul record and some Danny, it's very easy to hear the connection.

There's nothing new under the sun, just different mixes and varieties, so copycat players have never bothered me at all, I like and respect anyone who can burn those frets and make me smile a big cheesy smile as they're wailing away.

Guess who made it into GuitarWorld??

you guessed it, KWS!!!

He says he needed some personal changes and went to rehab for an "addiction" to something, and hes now sober."Its a lot easier to be on top of your game when you're thinking clearly, with nothing standing between you and your soul" he says.

Getting clean has not only transformed him but his playing style. He does most singing and is more of his songs are rock influenced. More melodies and power chords. He says he wasnt ready to sing at age 17, but always planned on doing it. He also says people dont want to hear a flurry of notes and keeps them in his back pocket now.

Even tho its more rock influenced, he still hasnt lost the blues. He is now focusing on putting together a new band and take to the road to support his new CD The Place You're In.

Copyright GuitarWorld (so i dont get sued :D )

Its not word for word either from GuitaWorld

Edited by AlGeeEater

I am a KWS fan. Have his first two discs and heard the new one last week and will buy it.

Having said that, KWS was raised by his father to be a SRV disciple. His father and SRV were personal friends and KWS used to hang around. His father pushed him hard as a young man to play that type of music. His father changed his name for stage purposes to KWS because it had the same structure as SRV. So, its understandable that there is an influence there. I give the young man credit for his talent, kicking his addiction and for taking his music into new directions. I think there is a lot more to come from him and best of luck to him.

Drak, an anecdote. My oldest son's band in Sheveport LA (Kenny's home town) played for KWS's birthday party a few years ago. Kenny decided he wanted to play and called his guitar tech to bring over his stuff. The tech arrived but believe it or not forgot the Strat. KWS grabbed my son's mid-60's Tele and TORE IT UP.

That's a great story!

(and your son has extremely good taste in guitars :D )

And you made some good points there, I had heard a lot of anecdotes about his dads' influence, but your post pretty much drives it home.

Know who else was like that?

Hank Jr.

When Hank was young his mom would make him play Hank Sr. tunes all the time, (which he was very good at), but then he finally grew older and rebelled against that whole 'schtick' and became who he is today.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only hard one KWS song, but I really liked it. I wish I could find the name of it- I heard it on the radio. It featured an Octavia very heavily, and I believe the vocals were sang in a fairly low register. It was on the radio, so i am guessing it was a single.

Does anyone know what that song is called?

(Sorry for bing slightly OT)

Luke

I saw him last night at the RamsHead in downtown Baltimore. Any of you marylanders (Drak) that get a chance to go see a show there I highly recommend it. I stood 10 feet from the stage all night and only got bumped into once. Very intimate setting but they never over sell the shows there so you can actually enjoy yourself and not trip over people.

I saw him last night at the RamsHead in downtown Baltimore. Any of you marylanders (Drak) that get a chance to go see a show there I highly recommend it. I stood 10 feet from the stage all night and only got bumped into once. Very intimate setting but they never over sell the shows there so you can actually enjoy yourself and not trip over people.

:D

I wish i could see him play. Maryland isnt far from NJ, maybe he will stop by...hopefully.