Cud's Project Guitar

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I lke the sides it reminds me of the rounded sides on the Carvins, I'm trying to outgrow them and do somenthing inbetween. Like rounded and stylysh at the same time, any updates on the body, I realy like the way it's turning, keep us posted, just bump this thread whenever yo post updates to your site!

GuitarMaestro, I am a newbie! :D I wanted to make my own fretboard because I wanted to learn every aspect of the prospect and I did.

Maiden69, I was influenced by my new Carvin 727 when I did that round over. So, good eye!

Dave

I love Carvin's, If I ever buy a new guitar it will have to be one of thems, and the 727 is awsome, I haven't played a 7string yet othe that a cheap Jackson, and thyat was pourly set up, but theres somenthing about the 727 that catch your eye, it looks so comfortable! I will be calling them coming next tax refund to see if they can make one without the rounded body sides (it's standard on this model), I use to love them but I'm falling for the regular one after playing a frien DC200.

I think I may have a problem with my neck pocket. I'm afraid I didn't leave enough wood on the treble side of the neck and therefore, the neck well protrude from the body more than I like.

So, I've decided to finish my neck and see where it lines up. If it doesn't work, I'm going to cut a section out of the center of the body and replace it with a new "center" made of a Walnut, Quilted Maple, Walnut sandwich that will allow me to "re-do" the neck pocket area of the body.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Dave

xebryus, I'll take that as a huge compliment! I'm an IT Manager by trade. I've been a hobbyist woodworker for about 3 years now but this is my first guitar. I'm aided in no small part by the good tools I have. I try and do as much reading as I can about building guitars. Obviously, there's a ton of info on the internet and I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for looking!

Dave

I did some work today. I opted out of the Wilkinson roller nut due to the string guage limitation. Wish I had known that before I bought it. So, I cut a nut slot, thinned the headstock and glued the fretboard to the neck. My headstock is real small but will fit a 3+3 arrangment of locking Sperzels.

See the "Making The Neck: Assembly" link on my site:

www.downinfrontht.com

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Nice, it's looking like a clon Carvin meets Petrucci! :D Can't wait to see it finish, any idea on the finish you will use! A 3D stain will look nice on that top.

Carvin Petrucci! That's exactly what's influenced it so far. While I'm happy with the way it looks, I now wish I had used the body I designed. It's nothing earth shaking, just a double cut, but it's mine. I guess this one is original in that I've combined elements of two different guitars. Ah, whatever.

I'm not sure about the finish. It's almost December and it isn't getting any warmer here in NY. So, I guess shooting a finish might be a bad idea for the next few months. I work in my garage and it isn't heated except for a small electric unit I use.

With the neck and body together like that, it looks like a tung oil finish would look nice over the whole thing. But I would need to know how to accent the flame in such a finish.

Can I use a grain filler with a tung oil finish?

With the neck and body together like that, it looks like a tung oil finish would look nice over the whole thing.

But I would need to know how to accent the flame in such a finish.

Check out the pic of my scrap piece in this link.

I used a water-based walnut stain, sanded it back then applied another coat before I tru-oiled it. It looks good and the flame figuring looks really 3-D.

I got the stain and tru-oil in the same package from a local gun shop.

After wiping on about 10 coats I used the aerosol version which is thinned a little more than the wipe on. It made a nice high gloss finish and was really easy to apply.

After doing that over the summer it's still high-gloss but you can now see a little bit more of the pores in the wood.