Cud's Project Guitar

Updated my site with 25 pics today. The following pages have been added to:

1) Router Templates: I added pics illustrating how I made 3/4" thick MDF copies of the Stewart-MacDonald trem-templates I ordered. The thicker MDF templates work better with my longer pattern-bit and are easier to clamp.

2) Neck Pocket: I cleaned up the tear-out on two of the ferulle recesses and filled in the errant bolt hole.

3) Trem Cavity: This is a new page illustrating the routing of the trem cavity for the Wilkinson trem.

As always, thanks for looking.

Dave

http://www.downinfrontht.com

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah. I noticed that particularly in the early stages it looked familiar. Like: http://www.downinfrontht.com/images/neck_a...hed_to_body.JPG to http://staticline.drastic-creations.com/gu...finishfront.jpg . That's really cool though, makes the guitar appeal more to me!

The info's on the site, but I can explain it.

-Sanded wood with 400 grit dry

Raised the grain with water

-400 dry

4 coats of Watco Clear Danish Oil

-400 dry

2 coats of StewMac Colortone Nitrocellulose Sanding Sealer

-400 dry

2 coats of StewMac Colortone Nitrocellulose Satin Lacquer

-400 wet

2 coats of StewMac Colortone Nitrocellulose Satin Lacquer

-400 dry

2 coars of StewMac Colortone Nitrocellulose Satin Lacquer

Simple stuff.

I hate making templates. Made at least three templates for the direct mount humbucker in the last few days.

Ive made 6 tele neck templates in the last 2 weeks. I think I finally have it now, but who knows :D It sucks when you think you have it but you just want to smooth it out a bit more and DAMN! Too much, gotta start over. I know your pain B) But I would rather spend 6 hours screwing up MDF than ruining a good neck blank. That only takes a second.

it is taking forever but the results are great

I think he is making great progress. It's so clean because he is actually taking the time to do things right. He said that he spent a ton of time on his templates, and it shows. Considering that he is doing this in his spare time I would say that he is moving along quite quickly.

Yes, definitely a spare time thing. It does fell like it's taking a long time though because I started in September. On the other hand, when I consider the actual hours I've put in, I see that I'm actually moving at a fairly quick pace considering my inexperience and all the time spent on the templates. In several cases, I'd mess up the template and have to start over!

I cut my cavity door out of Mahogany today but I haven't updated the site yet.

Thanks!

Dave

That's looking pretty darned nice. One suggestion, though, is I would consider having a push-pull tone/volume knob instead of two, but that's just my opinion. I think it would compliment the "clean" look of the rest of the guitar. Keep us updated!

Very cooool :D Iam not a fan of the headstock and I dont like where your puting the Volume pot it seems a bit out of reach from the bridge but that's just me :D I dont think that just one pushpull pot would look right on this guitar It would make the top look way to oppen I think your beter off with the two just place the volume pot some where else a bit closer to the bridge but it's not my guitar so you do what you gota do man :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Well, I learned yesterday to never assume. I assumed that my Air Norton was the same height as my Steve's Special. I wanted my AN to sit about 3/32" higher than the neck pup. So I routed the bridge pup cavity 3/32" shallower than the neck cavity. Oddly enough, the AN sat way higher than the SS. That's when I put them next to each and saw how much higher the AN is than the SS. So I actually had to route the bridge cavity deeper than the neck cav to get the proper height difference. Anyway, I fixed it.

All I have left to do on the body is cut the slot for the 5 way selector, drill the trem posts, drill the strap button holes and finish rounding over the sides by hand. I'm not sure if I'm going to do tummy and arm carves yet. After that, the body will be ready for finish.

The neck still needs tuner holes drilled, nut installed and filed and the frets installed before I can oil it.

I'm almost there.

Dave

i love that shape. very nice progress too. so clean and simple yet devastatingly beautiful. i disagree with everyone else and say that the headstock is just fine. it kinda mimicks the horns a bit. so how are you gonna cut for the five way? ive always wondered how that was done.