Cud's Project Guitar

Thanks a ton Meegs! To cut the slot for the 5-way, I'm going to clamp a hardwood fence to the body, parallel to the slot. Then, I'll toss my Dremel into the router attachment and use a 1/16" cutter head to make many light passes till I'm through. Then, from within the cavity, I'll just use my router to sneak up on the proper thickness for the switch.

Today, I tried to drill my trem posts but found I need an 11/32" bit and not 5/16". Had I tried to "coax" the stud into that smaller hole, I would of split her for sure.

So instead, I started hand-sanding the edges. In the pics you can see that the round-over bit worked well on the top and back but left a flat area about 5/8" wide all around the body. It's taking much longer to complete the roundover this way than I had expected. I need larger sheets of 40 grit to remove material faster. I'm basically holding the body between my legs and holding the paper in each hand over the rounded edge. The motion looks as if I'm polishing someones shoes. Works well because it follows the entire roundover and gradually removes the flat. But it's SLOW. I hope I can finish that tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Dave

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished rough sanding the sides yesterday. My fingers are in bad shape from holding the 36 grit paper so long. Now I've got a nice round edge with no flat spots all the way around. I'll have to smooth it out with 80, 120, etc. but that will be WAY easier than the rough sanding.

I'll post more pics when I've got more to show.

Thanks.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted some pics from the hand-shaping I did on the round overs around the edge of the body. The pics are in the "Making The Guitar Body: Shaping" section. Some of you may have noticed that the routed roundovers left a flat area all the way around the body. I removed that by hand shaping with 36 grit paper first and then working up from there.

The pics below show the layout I'm using for the tuners. These pics aren't up on the site yet though.

Thanks again.

Dave

www.downinfrontht.com

Ok, so I retraced my string layout on graph paper and then centered my headstock template over that and traced it's outline. Then I layed out my tuners closer to the edges of the headstock and ended up with a nice layout that will have a very slight splay (angle) to the strings. What do you think of it now?

Thanks again fellas.

headstock_template_2_back.JPG

headstock_template_2_front.JPG

Damn man, that is some really clean work! I really admire the fact that you are trying to do everything right (the first time) and not rushing. Patience is definately a virtue! Great work!

Got another update folks. Here's what was done today:

headstock_tuners3.JPG

1) Cut the slot for the 5 way pickup selector. See the "Control Cavity" page.

2) Drilled the trem claw holes. See the "Trem Cavity" page.

3) Laminated the back of the headstock with mahogany. See the "Making The Neck" page.

4) Drilled my tuner holes into the headstock. See the "Making The Neck" page.

Thanks for taking the time. And as always, comments are welcome.

Dave

http://www.downinfrontht.com

I've posted a pic in the "Control Cavity" section of my attempt at routing the cavity deeper in the area where the 5 way selector switch will sit. You'll also see a problem I created for my self.

I didn't notice that when I set the depth of the bit, the router collet extended below the base. It, in turn, made contact with the lip of the cavity recess and chewed it up. I'll have to route the lip to 1/4" now (from 1/8"). Of course the opening will be bigger and my cover won't fit so I'm thinking of laminating a 1/8" border of maple around it to make up the difference. If that fails, I 'll just cut another one.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

www.downinfrontht.com

control_cavity_5way_route.JPG

Cud, everything is looking great. Does that lip give you enough room for screws to attach the cavity cover or did you have another method of securing it?

Jay, thanks. Initially I intended to make small cleats and attach them to the inner walls of the cavity. That won't be necessary anymore since in order to fix the damage I caused to the recess, I had to open the recess another 1/8" and make a new plate. Now I have room for the screws to sit in the recess. I'll be posting pics of the repair later.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

one thing I just noticed in that last pic is the sides are a diffrent color than the back. The reason for this is when you bought the board it was oxidized. Meaning that the air had made it darker. Now when you sanded it made the sides lighter than the back. Before you finish you need to sand the back down past the oxidation line in order for it all to be the same color. Or you could let it sit foua a couple of months and let the sides oxidize also...

Just warning you that you might need to sane a millimeter off the back before you go to far