The Impaler!

Hey Matt, nice job so far (nice shop too!). I'm not a metal guy either, but I have to say that is one of the nicest metal designs I've seen. So many of those designs are so over-the-top with points etc, but yours is ...just....restrained...enough... to still be cool.

You might want to get your carpet cleaned...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to get your carpet cleaned...

HAHAHAH :D No way I love mess!! Ive been waiting for someone to say something about that. The mess is from my cat she love's her toilet paper

every day she'ed find some and tear's the hell out of it all over the place so that day it was to much and it was my day off and I did not want to get up off my ass and do anthing about it so that's why the carpet was a mess :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Ok, I think it's not metal, well, it is but it's not. I think that in todays metal scene that guitar qualifies in the goth section, with the kids with jet black-blue-red hair. We had them back in the day, but they listened to new wave, things like Dead or Alive... Now they use their own metal, ... even Cradle of Filth use a PRS. But I do like the design, I wouldn't like it with a flat top, I think that once done if you can round or carve it a bit to look like the spears used in mediaval and empire times it will look awsome.

I see you incorporated the drawing that you had on the other thread. Nice done, sorry Ididn't post a rendering of the scallops that I mention but my skills in CAD are null.

Ok, I think it's not metal, well, it is but it's not.

any guitar can be metal...regardless of the shape.

my favorite guitar for metal right now is my ibanez rgt42...

jeff hanemman plays strat shaped guitars as well.

then you have kerry king with his lovely collection of bc rich vees and warlocks....gorgeous guitars that man has

I agree with wes. Any guitar can be metal. Kirk Hammet uses an ESP strat sometimes. I don't see how this guitar is not metal, its similar to an Explorer IMO. I'm sure when Matt is done it'll definitly look like a metal guitar with the finish and all. Maybe the purple heart is throwing you guys off B)

-Jamie :D

Just a thought about the finish:

The idea was suggested for a bloodred burst to purple. Given the complex shape of this guitar, a standard burst might look a little weird. What if you were to use Brian's "Poor man's burst" method (main page tutorial), but instead of using the guitar's outline as a template, you were to use a skull cutout as the burst shape, so you have a purple skull silhouette in the middle of a red guitar?

Obviously you could use a skull, a cross, an Iron Cross, any simple-shaped implement of torture, or even (god forbid) a unicorn?

My photoshop skills aren't very good, especially seeing as I don't even own Photoshop, but I'm sure it's not terribly hard to picture?

MY GOD MAN that's the best idea Ive heard yet since iam only using one pickup I could do the design inbetwen the neck and the pickup a skull would look cool but skull's are a bit overdone I think. Now I know this would be very hard but since the guitar is named the IMPALER maybe the shape of a man impaled on a huge spike [you know the whole vlad the impaler thing] would look deadly but if there is any one out with another idea or some info I would love to hear it this is a great idea I wish it was mine. B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Ok, I think it's not metal, well, it is but it's not.

Ok, I agree with you, if you read this you can tell of the confusion going on...

yes, no, yes, no,... Iron Maiden main axe is a Fender Strat! Hammett and James are going back to Gibson LP with passive pups, beauty (metal guitar)is on

"The eye of the beholder"

Lot of ideas here Matt, geting though to decide eh!

i just realised what your horn (spikey bit) reminds me of, and im not sure if you'll want to use this as a source of inspiration when building similar guitars....

the horns inward curves remind me of those incredibly elaborate (but useless) fantasy swords that you see in goth mog shops and sword stalls, pretty to look at but made of aluminium :D

check out some of these, theve been giving me some great ideas....

http://www.kopes.com/swords/fantasy/

prince2matt.gif

Hey maybe something like this Iam not sure if it would work but you get the idea

what do youall think??

What if you were to use Brian's "Poor man's burst" method (main page tutorial),

well I tryed to find it with no luck could some one send me a link?? :D

!!METAL MATT!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...RS/NECKIDEA.jpg

know this is an idea that I had for the neck now nothing's realy to sise but it should give you an idea about what iam geting at I realy like this idea so much so that iam asking LGH for some inlay help but Iam waiting to hear from him on the price

of his inlay work and then I gess I'll go from there!! but it would be deadly if it all works out so what do you think??

Well I did some thinking last nite about doing a black burst with paint like in the Brian's "Poor man's burst" method link but Iam worred because purpleheart and Bubinga are very poreis wood's and the paint mite look like crap now what I need to know is that is there any way that I can fill in the pores in the wood and still use

the "Poor man's burst" method ??

Well I did some dye samples last nite with the blood red and It look's like CRAP B) on the purpleheart the purple color of the wood make's the red look brown I tryed everything I could think of but nothing worked so I wen't back to my shop and got some dark purple/redish dye and I tryed that and it look's deadly so Iam thinking

that a dark purple/redish to a lite purple burst would look best for this guitar!! anyway and If I do it right it should look mean. Iam going to be puting the top on the back of the body today and Iam doing a few other things as well so I'll put some new pic's up soon.

Thanks

What if you bleach the purpleheart first? I know that Drak once told me to bleach the mahogany before staining, maybe it will work... I think that purple will look good anyway.

Well I think that would work well but I've never done it before and I'am realy falling in love with this redish/purple dye it looks great and I think it will go very well with the guitar.but thanks for the info.Anyway I got the top glued on I hope it will work out. I got a friends guitar started and it's all cut out and ready for sanding It's a wild design and I've never seen anthing like it before so I wil get some pic's up as soon as I can.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a ton of work done last nite on the impaler, the neck pocket is done, top is glued on to the back, and It worked out deadly, and I got the top contor shape done for the top, now I have to make a pickup rout jig, and rout out the pickups and electronics cavitys but it's early now and I have to go to work but I will try to post some pic's later today.

Thanks

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Matt - sweet lookin guitar! I'm confused about the top that you've glued on - did you say that it's going on the back of the guitar?

What are you going to use for electronics in this murdering machine? EMG81? Any EQ or boost circuits?

Looking forward to seeing more of it!

I'm confused about the top that you've glued on - did you say that it's going on the back of the guitar? What are you going to use for electronics in this murdering machine? EMG81? Any EQ or boost circuits?

Ya sorry about that I ment that I guled the top on to the top of the back :D

as for the electronics two custom made pickup's, the bridge pickup is puting out 20Kohms and the neck is pushing 14.50Kohms these thing sound like SCREAMING DEATH but in a good way :D I have also just made a custom jack plate for this guitar It look's like a two headed axe I'll post some pics today if I can!!

!!METAL MATT!! B)