The Impaler!

Well I just sent a email to this guy so I want to see what he has to say and how much Money$$ he want's for the case

http://stevoranger.tripod.com/index.htm

And one more thing I have been thinking about dyeing this thing and I was woundering if I should do a burst or just dye the whole thing? I know I asked this earlyer in the thread but now Iam just wanting to even out the color of the top

and Iam not sure If I want to dye the back as well, iam not sure how babiga acts with dye's

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idch - what look are you referring to with oiled wood? What type of oil tung, linseed, ...?

Tru-Oil is a different type of finish but I think it still does have a different look than poly or nitro.

This is the best I can do for a sample pic of what Tru-Oil looks like:

sp_island1.jpg

It does darken the piece (which is true for just about every type of finish) a bit but it basically hardens clear.

I'm not saying that it is the finish that should be used - just an option since I know Matt was looking for suggestions. The instructions on the bottle says it can be used to fill grain also but I have never tried using it that way.

If you do use it, the key to a nice smooth shiny finish (as far as I know) is very thin coats. Wipe away any streaking that you can see immediately (use a bright light at an angle). Other than that, it's really pretty easy and looks very nice. Another bonus is that it is cheap and does not put anyone at home at risk in terms of deadly fumes.

One other thing to think about is durability. If the owner wants to be able to beat on it and abuse it, you probably only have one choice - poly. If he's willing to take care of it reasonably (you don't have to treat it like a museum artifact), then Tru-Oil will do the job.

Last thought on this for now - I don't know if you want to experiment with new finishes on this guitar though. If there's a way to get it finished the same as your others, maybe that's the safer way to go? Maybe that clear grain filler from stewmac and then have your friend clear it?

Last thought on this for now - I don't know if you want to experiment with new finishes on this guitar though. If there's a way to get it finished the same as your others, maybe that's the safer way to go? Maybe that clear grain filler from stewmac and then have your friend clear it?

Ya dave I think your right and Iam not sure how an oil would work on the IMPALER

I think I should fill it dye it clear it B) , I do have a a softer design I could try an oil finish on this old thing has been siting around for like 2-3 years so If I trash it N.B.D :D thank's for all the info dave!

Mattsguitarpics0004goood111.jpg

[idch - what look are you referring to with oiled wood? What type of oil tung, linseed, ...?

Nah, it's a personal taste thing --I like guitars with paint on them, that's all. I don't mind if a little grain shows through, but still...

And most of the time, when you see an oiled guitar, the builder 'forgot' to put a pickguard on it...and to me, a guitar without a guard is not quite finished.

But like I said, this is personal taste... :)

If your going to trash that guitar, you can gladly send it to me and i will find a nice home for it, in my room :D:D

Curtis

Ya dave I think your right and Iam not sure how an oil would work on the IMPALER

I think I should fill it dye it clear it :D , I do have a a softer design I could try an oil finish on this old thing has been siting around for like 2-3 years so If I trash it N.B.D :D thank's for all the info dave!

Mattsguitarpics0004goood111.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! B)

it's been like 3 year's since i've done any work on it and iam not sure if I will ever build it I mean it's a great design and there's some deadly looken wood's on it, but to be honest it bore's the Hell out of me! it's just not my style so iam not sure what Iam going to do with it :D I mean i havent even glued a back on to it yet :D

Nah, it's a personal taste thing --I like guitars with paint on them, that's all. I don't mind if a little grain shows through, but still...And most of the time, when you see an oiled guitar, the builder 'forgot' to put a pickguard on it...and to me, a guitar without a guard is not quite finished.

I hate pickguard's :D but that's just me

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I hate pickguards too. Its just my opinion, but there is nothing like a piece of plastic to ruin the front of a guitar.

I love that "rounder" body. The shape and wood choice really looks classy. Its definately my kind of look. To me it seems like a tru oil type guitar.

I would also be happy to take it off your hands. :D

Edited by chrisb0109

WOW :D maybe I should just start building and selling custom guitar bodys for everyone :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

not to you see if you have a happy customer or not first, i mean, i am a truly un biased person, and would be glad to take that rounder one off your hands for a test to see if you should build and sell or not B) lol

Curtis

:D sneaky sneaky.

on a more on-topic note: the impaler is looking fricking sweet. i love explorers, so this guitar is just amazing.

yea, if you get bored with the IMPALER, i would take it off your hands in a heart beat, i would walk to get it, lol

HAHAHAHA :D"NO" I love my IMPALER it will never leave my side :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

yea, if you get bored with the IMPALER, i would take it off your hands in a heart beat, i would walk to get it, lol

HAHAHAHA :D"NO" I love my IMPALER it will never leave my side :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

haha, just checkin yea know!! :D:D

Its a sweet guitar, very, just, very amazing <----NO MORE DROOL EMOTICON??!?!?!??!!?! OUTRAGE!!

Curtis

Jan13470matt.jpg

This is a bit off topic

Well I found A gap in the glue line and I had to change the design and Iam fixing up of my line's, so what do you guy's think?

Hear's a close up view of the change I made

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...an13471matt.jpg

Hear's two view's of the back to give you a beter idea

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...an13472matt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...an13473matt.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA ya your right that would never do, well I geuss I should "burn it"

ohwell, HAHAHA B):D

Ok back to the IMPALER! I realy like how well my pickup cavitys came out so Iam going to try something new 'for me at least' :D Iam going to mount my pickup's with out Mounting Ring's hear's what Iam thinking Iam going to drill out the hole's in the ears since the holes as they are happen to be to small for my likeing, then Iam going to cut down the mounting springs and add them in under the ears,then iam going to add some kind of a foam to the botom of the pickup just to keep everying level,

Iam going to start work on that today and I will post some pic's

So what do you guy's think will this work or not? :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

mathew30009cool.jpg

Ok guy's Iam just NOT likeing this headstock at all so Iam thinking cut it off and then joint the cut and glue on a ney piece of wood and do my own headstock design but Iam just woundering if there's anyone that has done this before

I dont think it will be all that hard but I am worried about the join being strong enough under a 7-string's pull :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Ok guy's Iam just NOT likeing this headstock at all so Iam thinking cut it off and then joint the cut and glue on a ney piece of wood and do my own headstock design but Iam just woundering if there's anyone that has done this before

I dont think it will be all that hard but I am worried about the join being strong enough under a 7-string's pull  :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

how are you thinking of cutting it? cutting it off as in cutting parallel to the nut? i wouldn't trust doing it like that.

the way i'd do it would be to just take off enough wood on one side (which side depends on if the headstock will be regular or reverse) to square it up, and then glue on to that. if you do it that way there's no reason i could see that it wouldn't work.

how are you thinking of cutting it? cutting it off as in cutting parallel to the nut? i wouldn't trust doing it like that.

the way i'd do it would be to just take off enough wood on one side (which side depends on if the headstock will be regular or reverse) to square it up, and then glue on to that. if you do it that way there's no reason i could see that it wouldn't work.

Well if I do it your way what would be the best way to fill in the hole's for the tuneing pegs?

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!