Dimebag Darrell: 1966-2004

Ashez

Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mull: Mull said Columbus police have responded to previous incidents at the club, including several he characterized as minor as well as a shooting in the parking lot. He said he was unaware of the club's security practices, except that it had no surveillance camera or metal detector.

"They are in charge of their own security inside," he said. "There are times they hire off-duty Columbus police for parking lot security -- we are prohibited by law from working inside a liquor establishment -- but last night there were none."

Like I said, the laws in Ohio are so f'd up that the clubs can't even hire off-duty police officers for security in the clubs.

A friend of mine was murdered three years ago by a man with a lawfully-obtained and possessed handgun. I have struggled with the question of whether people should be allowed to bear arms, much less handguns, myself. There's no easy solution because there's always going to be the nutcase out there who decides that they're going to shoot someone for no good reason. My friend died because a man thought he was hitting on his woman at a party. Dime died because some guy was probably pissed about Pantera breaking up. Do either of those situations sound like they're worth a human life?

We can take every step possible to protect ourselves, but chaos and insanity will always find a way to come out every once in a while.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, the laws in Ohio are so f'd up that the clubs can't even hire off-duty police officers for security in the clubs.

This i believe is a rule of the police officers, no working inside an establishment serving liquor. I know that was the case in ohio and I believe that it is in many other states too. The club is able to hire them to work outside the building in the parking lots and they have said the articles, but there weren't any on that night.

back on topic,

Darrell's murder hasn't sunk into me yet - it seems like theres no way that it really could have happened, one of those guys that seems like he will always be there. RIP

RIP DIme

i read something off comcast and these are the list of victims

Besides Abbott and Gale, police identified the dead as Nathan Bray, 23; Erin Halk, 29, and Jeff Thompson, 40.

Bray's family said the suburban Grove City man was a Damageplan fan. Halk worked for the club loading band equipment, said the club's lighting designer, Brian Kozicki. Thompson's last known address was in Texas, police said.

Yeah, don't go there. Especially since Dime was a supporter of the people's right to bear arms. Maybe if the laws in Ohio weren't so f'd up and the bouncers were allowed to be armed, this wouldn't have happened. I give the bouncer who rushed an armed gunman and died in the process props for trying to use what he had--nothing but muscle.

So there's two sides to the debate, nothing's going to bring Dime back, so let's end it here, now, and remember Dime for how he lived, not how he died.

Sorry if I caused offence or something. I probably don't have anything like enough information to have much of an opinion on the matter. It's just a thought.

To the hard drinkin', hard rocking amigo we all loved. Rock In Peace.

:D

I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate, but this thought keeps going through my head:

"...and you think it's a good idea to have the right to bear arms??"

then don't.....like crafty pointed out,dime was a supporter of the right to bear arms,and using his death as propoganda is disgraceful.

sickens me to hear a tragedy such as this used to bolster support for a cause that the man himself did not agree with.

EDIT

just saw the last post...appreciate it

This sucks, I finaly got my hand on the Damageplan CD a week ago and it's been in trhe car player for the rest of it, I realy llike it a lot, and now this... Can't believe it.

I wish there is more that the law enforcement could do to remedsy stuff lie this, and laws keep getting harder for the right doing citizens while this bastards keep roaming about with no remorse about what they do. On response to craftys post

I was an officer for 3 years before joining the Army active duty, and is not only Ohio, almost every stated disscourages if not ban that their officers work as part ime security guards.

This is a very sad day for the metal comunity, and they will be greatly missed.

EDITED TO ADD

and in case you have a doubt...

IT IS A DAMN GOOD IDEA TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!!!

The ones that do all the killing and shooting of inocents have no regret for LAWS, you take that right from law abiding citicens and who the hell is going to protect them when this sick bastards try to get in their houses to robb. I bet that this crack head would have think it twice before doing this in Texas, Swear that somebody would had dropped his ass before getting close to the stage with a gun.

So what i herd on the evening news was that this poor excuse for a human being that shot Dimbag and the others were cause he was pissed and blamed Darrell for breaking up Pantera. If that statment is true then this guy was a total head case. This just sucks, Dimebag rocked the dude played the guitar aggressivly and his sound was so unique you knew who it was the momment the first chord or note was played. Truely another sad day for me, About three weeks ago Clear Channel Com. took Houstons only rock/metal station off the air without warning and replaced it with freaking latino music..... :D You Bastards!!!......and then this happends. I will truely miss Dimebags playing and tutorials in the guitar mag. R.I.P. Darrell "dimebag" Abott

Oh my god...

Im not a very big fan of pantera or damageplan but when i read alot about dime in guitar world.

When i learnt about what happened i had shivers run through my whole body.

I almost cried. Damageplan came here last week and I couldnt go because my parents wouldnt let me. Now i really regret not going. As someone said earlier, i took this tour for granted and as one of many to come.

Youll always be the king !

RIP :D

So what i herd on the evening news was that this poor excuse for a human being that shot Dimbag and the others were cause he was pissed and blamed Darrell for breaking up Pantera. If that statment is true then this guy was a total head case. This just sucks, Dimebag rocked the dude played the guitar aggressivly and his sound was so unique you knew who it was the momment the first chord or note was played. Truely another sad day for me, About three weeks ago Clear Channel Com. took Houstons only rock/metal station off the air without warning and replaced it with freaking latino music..... :D You Bastards!!!......and then this happends. I will truely miss Dimebags playing and tutorials in the guitar mag. R.I.P. Darrell  "dimebag" Abott

If that was the F. reason that dude didn't even know what he was for, because Pantera was schedule to play in the begining of the year! Sucks even more!

freaking latino music..... B) You Bastards!!!

Watch what you say dude, there are quite a few of us here, and even if I don't like our music, don't had s**t to do with your fav station being out of the air, just that your boys were not listening to it!

I agree with you Crafty, just recently up here in Toronto a 16 year old was chased down by 15 kids and beaten and stabbed twice because he defended a pregnent woman. It's always because of some stupid reason either being like you said him being pissed about pantera breaking up and the bad mouthing going on between the two, or because everyone has to keep it real and has to back everything up and all this klingon honor crap, but anyways let us hope that vinnie pulls through. i'm still shocked about this

-Jamie :D

I'm not a metalhead... if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have recognized the name Dimebag Darrell when I heard it on the radio this morning.

So, educate me. What songs do you think show Dimebag at his finest?

Dominate, Cemetary Gates, Cowboy's From Hell, Walk, Revolution Is My Name. Just a few there. I really love the riff in dominate and revolution is my name though...

Cool,

Chris

This sucks Dime bag is killed in my Home State ARGG!! Another thing Ohio will get noted for now(why do we always get noted for negative things I swear). Anyhow did anyone catch the naked bloke on the tele on CNN. I mean you could see the mans wanker (no censorship). This was at the vigil they were holding for dime bag. Also I really don't think the whole right to bear arms thign is wrong. I mean people who want gun for the point of killing someone will get the gun even if its illegal to have one. Its kinda scary though since my uncle is a cop and all that anyone he pulls over could potentially by a serious threat to him. Anymore he just avoids pulling people over for minor things like some cops do. Oh well its the world we live in and boy its a mighty sad place to be.

Edited by Cloud

Okay, I was just watching ABC News tonight to see if they'd have anything on about the murders. Sure enough, there was Peter Jennings slipping it in at the end of the broadcast. But what did they do? They blamed Dime and "the violent culture surrounding heavy metal music"!!

They showed a five second clip of people punching each other in a mosh pit, and claimed that the gunman was simply responding to the example of violence portrayed in Pantera and Damageplan's music. It's like, they just pulled out the same material they aired when Biggy and 2Pac were killed, and just changed the names and pictures to suit the story.

So according to ABC News, it wasn't the fault of some sick, deranged fan, it was the heavy metal community's fault. I'm hearing echoes of the AC/DC "Night Stalker" scandal again. Getting ready for the brown stuff to start piling up again.

Crafty- did you catch Vince/Nikki/Tommy in their interviews/pimping of the new Crue tour? The media tools kept asking Tommy about it and he kept replying with, "Look, Darrell was a good friend of mine. I don't want to talk about it. Next question."....but the guys kept asking. And Tommy kept shutting them down.

Kudos to you, Tommy!

They asked Nikki about 'the violence portrayed in the lyrics and videos of heavy metal music'. You could see him wanting to erupt and swear like a sailor, but he was chill....he said, "That's just retarded." Tommy doubled him. It was great!

Some media head brought up the nickname, Dimebag. "It's a drug reference referring to a purchase amount..." Yeah...hop on that bandwagon. I'd like to quote Mr. Bill Hicks as best as I can remember:

"If you think that, then I want you to go home right now and take all your LP's, all your CD's, and burn them. Why? Because the people that recorded that music that's enriched your life throughout the years.......*REAL* high on drugs!!!"

(R.I.P. Bill)

Of course there are artists that are drug-free. I was just trying to emphasize that pointing the finger at drug use or references isn't the answer either. And many times, it's a bogus name/nickname made up by the artist to appeal to a certain crowd. Hell, I might start calling myself "Kilo Kev"....but I haven't touched any illegal drugs in more than 15 years.

If this happened at a Britney show, what would the media say? It's due to her slutty image? Her lip-sync'ing? Her IQ being that slightly above a tomato?

There's no blame to place here. It soley rests with the shooter. He was obviously extremely unstable, and decided not to get help, but instead act out in a violent manner.

Sorry Maiden, is wasn't bashing Latinos i was bashing Clear Channel Comm. They are doing this system wide...one dude in New York said they pulled his only country station they had...anywho sorry for the missunderstanding i hope this clears it up

Cool, just look at the way you post things! Especialy with the anger running in a thread like this a lot of things can be take in context rather than content.