Dimebag Darrell: 1966-2004

Ashez

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevan-- No, I didn't catch the interview with the Crue, but on foxnews.com they were making it look like they didn't even care. The article stated "when Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx were asked whether they though the violence in the heavy metal music had anything to do with the shooting, they simply responded "That's retarded" and then proceeded to plug their upcoming tour." The article never mentioned Lee's statement that Dimebag and him were good friends.

To the media, Dime was just another dirty, drug and alcohol-addicted, wild heavy metal guitarist. But to be quite honest, I think that's how Dime would have wanted it--and that's the real spirit of rock--not Mariah Carey covering "Bringing on the Heartbreak" or Celine Dion covering "You Shook Me All Night Long". To the media, this is just like what the rap community was experiencing back in 1994-98 when all of the gangsta rap stuff was going on.

I'll be quite honest, I'm a pretty clean cut guy. I go to law school, wear a yuppy-style leather jacket, and drive an SUV. My lifestyle is probably more part of the problem of intolerance in this society than anything else. I've never used illegal drugs. But I love all music ranging from Segovia to 50 Cent to Megadeth. I don't like posers and some of my best friends in high school were the stoners, goths, and metalheads. I never pretended to be anything but myself and they taught me what real tolerance was--acceptance.

Dime may not have been as pretty or clean as Ashlee Simpson, but he had the talent and the artistry down. His spirit will live on in the guitarists he influenced. Even if the media won't respect his legacy, the people who really matter will--all of us.

I find the whole thing disgusting on so many levels. I mean, he killed Dime whish ids absolutly horiffic in itself, but not only that, he shot him in the FACE in front of his BROTHER- his best friend AND in front of so many people. He not only killed him, as far as I am concerned, he tried to rob him of dignity, not to mention the AUDACITY of shooting him whilst playing. He wouldnt even PAY FOR A TICKET to get in. I am really disgusted by the whole thing-I would like to swear and get banned - thats how angry I am over it.

I would have liked the guy who did it to have been dragged through court, etc, etc-I think the whole thing was over too quickly (obviosuly the cop did what he had to do) but there is some sort of closure attained through going through the legal/court process (for Dime's family).

Imagine what that guy has done to his OWN family- not only was thier son killed, but now he is one of the most hated people in the world. He should not have put his family through that.

I think he was a very sad, SELFISH, pathetic no-hoper like Chapman. I am going out of my way to try and forget the shooters name- I dont think he deserves to be remebered by any of us.

Luke

So according to ABC News, it wasn't the fault of some sick, deranged fan, it was the heavy metal community's fault.

things like that REALLY make me want to break something. i got real fed up real quick when i was getting people taking the piss out of me because all my music was just "screaming and noise" and stereotyping based on opinion and lack of information is one of the stupidest things ever imho

ahh okay thanks lol. I read on the mtv site that the police are looking at amateur footage of the concert. I bet it's gonna leak onto the internet.

-Jamie

from yahoo news.... this is a little gay not that anythings wrong with that... I bet dimebag would do the animal house thing on this guys guitar:

Shawn Sweeney, 22, played "old-school Pantera" on an acoustic guitar as a half-dozen young men held a blue tarp over his head and sang along as a crowd gathered.

Its like this is all a dream and I want to wake up but I can't. It seems so real yet theres a feeling that lies inside of me like I dont want to believe it. His style of playong and living was so influencial. Live for the fun in life, party all night and have a great time doing it. The guy who shot him sould have been kept alive and ended up like the guy in metallica's one. Just having to sit there in living hell than die and go to hell for real.

RIP Dimebag. We miss you.

(Sorry if Im being a bit strong just let me know if you need me to edit it Im just in such a bad mood right now)

ts like this is all a dream and I want to wake up but I can't. It seems so real yet theres a feeling that lies inside of me like I dont want to believe it.

i know exactly what you mean...i still feel the same way about my bud who died almost 10 years ago.it never really sinks in....

dimebag is a smaller version of that for me,because i was not a huge fan,although i respected him immensely,and i did not know him personally...but the guy was always giving back to the fans with guitar lessons in magazines and seemed like he genuinely enjoyed doing his thing.

i will say one thing...if i had the history he did,doing what i loved and being so widely regarded as such an influential player,i would have died feeling complete on that stage at 38(?)

i watched a video of pantera back in the early 90s and they were touring russia i believe...i mean,how awesome must that have been for him...to look out on thousands upon thousands of screaming russian fans...what a buttload of great memories that guy must have had.

a great life

most of us can only wish for a life like that.

and i do wish there was some way to bring that moron who shot him back to life and inject him with something that would make him sane enough to realize what he did...i think death was too easy for him

one thing to consider though...this moron must have had a COMPLETELY awful life...i read he was one of those guys who would try to corner people into conversations,and would really creep them out.

apparently he was an outcast...i don't say that to show any sympathy whatsoever...only to point out that i think dimebag died a happy man,but this creep died a loser and a freak....

he gained NOTHING by doing what he did,and he lost the chance to make his future better...

all you can do is laugh at the loser who was such a mental mess that he actually thought killing his hero was a good idea

i just wish he could know the shame he has caused himself

I live in Columbus and I had planned on going to this show for a month, bought a new guitar, and I couldn't get anymore money to go, I guess I'm lucky I didn't, I'm not a mosher, more the guy that tries to get to the front, especially because I wanted to see dimebag tear it up. I have a friend who worked at the club (she quit after that) but I guess that monster that killed everybody climbed a fence and burst through the door to get in. She saw the gun and tried to grab for him, but couldn't reach, another person, Nathan Bray, saw him too, and he got ahold of him and the guy shot him in the face. Then he rushed the stage. The local news interviewed some of the killers former friends who said he went to one of their houses like a month ago and he was talking about Pantera stealing things he wrote. Yeah this guy is a nutjob and I'm glad he's dead. Because if there is a hell, he's suffering, he's getting what he deserves.

Rest in piece Dimebag, your music will live forever and you will never be forgotten as a musician and friend to many people. I know this event just makes me want to play guitar more and more, it's the LTD I spent my paycheck on that may have saved my life because I could have been one of the people in the front row to have been murdered. it sends chills down my spine. Rest in piece.

Edited by envenomedcky

And to think that this dude walked in front of 2 of Dimes crew and wasn't stopped!

This reminds me of an old Dimebag interview in Guitar World. From what I recall, he expressed his disdain for having security tightly barring fans from getting on stage and stuff. He didn't mind the audience having a piece of the action on stage even at the risk of getting himself hurt and gear damaged.