Dimebag Darrell Remembered!

I just found this little tidbit while scrolling thru Rocktron's site looking over MIDI controllers (doin' my homework, hehehe).

Interesting, because what they describe is -exactly- what his tone sounded like, that 'vapor-lock' sort of tone. Makes perfect sense.

"With great sadness we learned of the death of Dimebag Darrell. We had the pleasure of working with him for many, many years and he will be missed. Just a couple of weeks before the unfortunate incident in Ohio, Rocktron shipped him another two HUSH Super C's for use on his tour. A large part of Darrell's signature sound was created by an effect generated by the use of a HUSH placed before AND after his preamp - thus creating a "vaccuum-like" effect wherein an extreme tightness was evident in the "breaks" (muting) as this contrast between the huge amount of gain and the silence of the tone (caused by the HUSH units). He used this as almost a part of his technique or playing style - perhaps the only artist to utilize the HUSH in quite this way."

well that would explain part of why i can't get my muting to sound like his on "cowboys from hell"..muting with both the palm and fret hand and still can't get it as clean

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you still need the template for the guitar in Jan/Feb when I got my custom I can make a body template + headstock template.

That would be deadly man Thank's for the offer what would you want for them??

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Not a thing, im glad to help out B) I'll let ya know when i get the guitar :D

holy crap I did not know that Phil Anselmo said all that crap about Dimebag he said>

Dime was "a "shallow, stupid man," and added "he deserves to be beaten severely." Phil's comments were in response to Darrell's implications that Anselmo was on heroin, and that his singing was suffering as a result!!

Anselmo planned to attend Darrell's public memorial service Tuesday night in Arlington, Texas, but was told that Darrell's family didn't want him to attend. "I never got a chance to say goodbye in the right way and it kills me," he said. "I wish to God I could've gone to his funeral, but I have to respect his family's wishes, and they do not want me there. I believe I belong there, but I understand completely, I'm so sorry."

Not only did Darrell's death dash the hopes of a Pantera reunion, Anselmo said the incident has made him question his own career as a musician. "This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time," he said. "I hope you're happy, heavy metal music magazines, media, I hope you're happy. I'm done."

Hear's the link

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494905/2...215/story.jhtml

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Maiden69, I mentioned that he was not in the Navy or AF because they don't get into hand to hand combat like the Army and Marines do. Maybe he did not join the service to straighten out his messed up life, maybe he joined to learn how to feed his desire for mayhem, you know, things like, bloodbath, putting someone in the hospital, fighting to kill, etc. If he joined to feed his desires to do damage and kill, that is not a good sign over his mental state.

Having balls is beside the point, because a psychopath "soon to become murder" passed through boot camp doesn't remotely imply that he was not a whack job time bomb waiting to go off. He apparently only lasted a year or so in the service because of being discharged for mental illness(!!!), so your idea that going into the service set him straight goes against everything we know about what actually happened. And everything that did happen lends to the idea that his time in the service did not help matters except that he was finally diagnosed as being off his rocker.

westhemann, I don't know where you got that second quote, the one you spent most of your time directing your response (at me?). I did not write that. Actually, I see that "erikbojerik" wrote that, not me, but you only indicated my name for the first quote but you did not indicate the other quote.

As to the pic, I don't know, I guess it could have been someone else and the pic was posted for whatever reason relating to Dimebag in some unspecified fashion. He looks "very" different in that photo and others were wondering the same thing.

I heard that Edward VanHalen and someone else (?) paid a tribute to him but that's about all I know. Anyone know more?

westhemann, I don't know where you got that second quote, the one you spent most of your time directing your response (at me?). I did not write that. Actually, I see that "erikbojerik" wrote that, not me, but you only indicated my name for the first quote but you did not indicate the other quote.

well it is just a software side effect i guess...i just cut and pasted the second quote ,and i actually quoted the first one(which was yours)

i know you did not write that one

As to the pic, I don't know, I guess it could have been someone else and the pic was posted for whatever reason relating to Dimebag in some unspecified fashion. He looks "very" different in that photo and others were wondering the same thing.

just a little gentle humor...it was obvious to me and i never saw the pic before...i would have been sure it was hetfield if he hadn't been making that weird face.i don't think i have ever seen a pictureof hetfield so young,except on the inside cover of kill em all.i was also unaware they even knew each other back then

as far as the nut who killed dimebag...why spend any time talking about him at all...i think i and many others would prefer if he was not given any publicity at all...or at least as little as possible.who cares why he joined the marines or where he got the gun?the only pertinant fact is that he was a moron and a whack job

So how about it, lets talk about the man. What sort of person was Dimebag?

When I respectfully mentioned this tragedy to a coworker, his immediate response was, who was this guy, a drug dealer? The first time I've seen him on guitar stuff, I wondered about his character simply because of his name, and I am still wondering...

So, we have his name, which is a classic icon for a small amount of drugs/pot/etc., we have interviews of him where he readily uses profanity, we have (apparently?) an ex-band member being accused of doing one of the hardest drugs available (although to Dime's credit, he was slamming him for it), and the song titles I've seen seem controversial or worse, so there seems to be a common thread that he was not exactly an upstanding role model, something that would lend a person to have a "cleaned up" life, but appearances may be misleading.

Maybe you folks can help explain.

Did Dimebag promote things like violence, or drugs, or profanity, or any sort of immorality?

What did he promote?

So how about it, lets talk about the man. What sort of person was Dimebag?

When I respectfully mentioned this tragedy to a coworker, his immediate response was, who was this guy, a drug dealer? The first time I've seen him on guitar stuff, I wondered about his character simply because of his name, and I am still wondering...

So, we have his name, which is a classic icon for a small amount of drugs/pot/etc., we have interviews of him where he readily uses profanity, we have (apparently?) an ex-band member being accused of doing one of the hardest drugs available (although to Dime's credit, he was slamming him for it), and the song titles I've seen seem controversial or worse, so there seems to be a common thread that he was not exactly an upstanding role model, something that would lend a person to have a "cleaned up" life, but appearances may be misleading.

Maybe you folks can help explain.

Did Dimebag promote things like violence, or drugs, or profanity, or any sort of immorality?

What did he promote?

i will not respond to that drivel

Not only did Darrell's death dash the hopes of a Pantera reunion, Anselmo said the incident has made him question his own career as a musician. "This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time," he said. "I hope you're happy, heavy metal music magazines, media, I hope you're happy. I'm done."

This is really sad on 2 fronts.

1) I don't know much about Phil Anselmo or his possible drug problems, but I will say that I've known a lot of drug addicts in my day, and he talks -exactly- like an addict would. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....good bets say it's a duck.

Which is unfortunate, because it's the addiction talking, not the man trapped inside. It's hard for non-druggies to realize this, and I can't blame them. Somewhere inside, that man is reeling out of control, because Dime surely was one of the closest people he probably ever knew, maybe closer to him than his own family, a lot of bands are like that, and when they feud, it's like brothers squaring off, they may hate each other for awhile, but they're still brothers.

2) I would have hoped that Dime's family would have been mature enough to see thru the arguments and let him attend, he certainly does deserve to be there in every way. I think they might come, in time, to really regret that decision, it is a very bad decision.

But, that's what serious drug abuse does to people, it separates people, drives people away, makes people furiously mad at you, and drives the person into a world of pure hell that can't even remotely be described to people who haven't been there, which is where Phil is at the moment I'm sure.

That man is living a hell on earth right now that I would never want to experience. Pain in amounts severe enough to cripple and double-over a regular person.

Because inside, he knows what he did, but wishes he could take it all back, but he can't.

That is called a living hell, and I truly do feel for the guy.

Best case scenario out of a bad situation, maybe he'll find a way out and into a drug-free life.

Half the members of Aerosmith did it. Those guys were damn near dead, literally dead, living in a feces ridden dump, everything gone, glory days gone, families gone, but man did they pull it out of the crapper, but they did it together, I don't know who Phil has to help him out.

westhemann, why is it unworthy of your response and "drivel" to try to understand what Dimebag was like, and what he promoted???

(Maybe he's having a bad life..., moving on)

Anyone else care to shed some light on the character of Dimebag and what he promoted? So far all we respectful but uniformed know about him is that he was a great guitarist in heavy metal, plus some pics and song titles, that's about it. I assume that some of you might be able to kindly shed some light. :D

Edited by 1Way

Why do we have to provide you with the information?

I don't get it. Are you too lazy to do your own freakin' searches?

I'll tell you what. You go out and find out some good information about him, whether it be good or bad, if you're really so curious, form your own opinion, and then -you- can tell -us- what you found, then you will be a contributing part of this thread?

PS, even if you think the guy was a piece of trash, have the balls to come out and say it, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I'd have no problems with you if that's what you wanted to think, it's a free country.

Personally, I think you want to say the guy was scum, or you just want to debate somebody about something, but you're afraid to say it, you want us to say it for you.

Apparently, besides having a hell of a good time playing heavy metal music, you folks find it difficult at best to relate what the man was all about and what he promoted. Maybe he was a shy and private person, maybe you folks are honoring heavy metal music more than you are the person. But the inquiry into what sort of man he was and what he promoted is among the most fitting and honoring inquiries imaginable.

I don't seek a debate, I don't seek to judge against someone over superficial and scant information.

As stated all along, I simply seek your understanding of who he was and what he promoted (besides him being a famous heavy metal dude who promoted, ,,, heavy metal). If you don't know, then just say so.

New specific question

To the best of your knowledge, did Darrel make any stand about drug use (other than in medicine/science) for himself or for others? In all his music and interviews etc., did he ever make a position known on getting drunk or getting high? His name screams out issue for inquiry, surely someone here knows the answer to this question (without attacking the questioner instead of answering the question).

:D

what is this, are you trying to decide whether dimebag is worthy of being made a saint by the catholic church? :D

his religion was heavy f**ing metal, and damn did he preach that well! B)

he drank a lot alright, in fact he was known for drinking more than an average man could and still going out on stage and playing his solos note for note....

but why the hell should that matter...... we're honouring him for what he did. HIS MUSIC.

this isnt a case of mother theresa, now is it?

if you look at Wolfgang Mozart's life, many sources will tel you he was an annoying fool who was very immature (hence Salieri's jealousy at mozat's immense talent...) and drank a lot. is that ever mentioned? no. does anyone care? no. his music is something that will live forever.

and so will dimebag's. its too late to judge his character now - judge his music decide your attitude towards him from that.

Edited by StreamLine

HELL YA StreamLine!! Ok he drank, Ok he more than likey smoked pot, but who give's a flying fu@$#k, I dont 1Way so go out buy a pantera cd you can make up your own mind :D

he had sh@$!t in his life to he was human to man

that does not make him unworthy of us rembering him for what he was that is one of the greatest heavy metal guitar players out there he was a kind and giveing guy I know this because he was forever giveing back to his fans and every thing that he was he put in to his music. :D

So if You want to know what he was like read some of the link's I put up and read what outhers think about him read what his brother thinks about him in fact read what his MOM thinks about him B):D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!
PS, even if you think the guy was a piece of trash, have the balls to come out and say it, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I'd have no problems with you if that's what you wanted to think, it's a free country.

Personally, I think you want to say the guy was scum, or you just want to debate somebody about something, but you're afraid to say it, you want us to say it for you.

drak hit it right on the head...and that is why i won't respond to it and why it is drivel

Mozarts name was not fashioned over a moral concern like Dimebag's name was.

His chosen name is DIMEBAG!

His life ended because of MURDER.

The silence of dealing with right and wrong issues is deafening. I'm not catholic, I'm someone who understands and appreciates the concept of right and wrong. It is "absolutely wrong" what happened to Dimebag Darrel and the other victims because as far as I know, he nor the others did nothing deserving of death. Dimebag's death is a tragedy of huge proportion, yet it's almost like right and wrong is a taboo topic here. Sorry for having to go this far, but you folks are being a bit slow on the uptake over the moral issues involved. I "would" make the connection between you folks being terrified of morality with the likelihood that the murderer was also not a morally in tune agent, but I'm afraid such a notion would be lost on you. Hello, there was 3 or 4 people murdered including DIMEBAG, a well respected musician, but when asking you who are supposedly honoring him about the man DIMEBAG and what he was all about, you get ignorance and insult, plus some respectful links to other sites.

I already know what kind of music I prefer and it's not heavy metal as much as it is rock and roll, so asking me to consider getting into heavy metal just to find out about Dimebag is not helpful. Besides, apparently you guys understand and are familiar with his music yet you don't give care or seem to understand about what sort of person he was, so I doubt they would help me either.

If you have no answer to what he promoted, then just say so and I'll be on my way. I certainly do not want to dislodge this topic as I have deep sadness over this tragedy, but I for one will not forget that actual people who's lives meant something were unjustly slain, not just that a popular heavy metal guitarist is gone.

westhemann, you are so insulting it's just about pathetic. Attacking me will never rid us of the issues of justice and morality involved. Put your head in the sand if you wish, but issues like murder and what people promote like doing drugs or not are issues of utmost importance, it's not "drivel".

No one is honored by people continually insulting those who care enough to ask about what kind of person the victim was, especially if they are asking the very people who should understand him the best. People, he was murdered, his name was Dimebag, he played radical heavy metal music, you have to be a complete moral misfit (or be willfully ignorant) to dismiss the morality involved as being drivel.

1) I asked for personal info on what sort of man he was, i.e. what he promoted

2) I defend that appropriate inquiry, I am not out of line for caring to understand such things.

Why am I asking you guys instead of going elsewhere?

Because it seems obvious to me that you appreciate him, and the rest of my experience at this forum is that people are generally glad to help out if they can.

(snip)

Edited by 1Way

well he promoted,

not giving A FU@$#k, haveing fun [witch to ment many things drinking, music, sex,just to name a few] ,heavy metal, life and yes death,anger,love,

and your right we should rember the others killed on that day so keep asking me qustions and I will try my best to help you ok!!

Sorry for having to go this far, but you folks are being a bit slow on the uptake over the moral issues involved. I "would" make the connection between you folks being terrified of morality with the likelihood that the murderer was also not a morally in tune agent, but I'm afraid such a notion would be lost on you.

You, sir, have created your own vacuum by talking to us like we are your children, or your class, or whatever.

So you have distanced yourself from us pretty much immediately right off the bat. From your first words, we sensed that you were not talking to us as one of us, but someone with absolutely no feeling towards the man and his deeds, just here to satisfy your own personal lust for ego-bolstering in the good name of morality.

You were in want of no answers, you already had them! You know it ALL!

YOU, sir, were here to TEACH US your moralistic take on the world of drugs and those who take them, WEREN'T YOU?

It's not that we don't know Dime, it's more that we really don't care to discuss someone we like with someone like yourself who walks with a cold heart and no good disposition towards your fellow man who may be grieving at a loss.

You, sir, have no manners or good taste as to when to broach a subject and when to leave it alone for another day..only seemingly caring to slake your own desires at the expense of everyone else here who actually had feelings towards the guy.

You sir, are a cold, dead fish in a pond of warm hearted guitar players.

PS, God loved him unconditionally no matter what he chose to do, God gives us all the right and freedom to choose our own paths and hope we come back to him of our own accord one way or the other, hehehe.

Too bad you hold yourself in higher esteem than (deep rumbly voice) ~The Big Guy~. :D

Actually, Metal Matt has been the most gracious host, providing you with exactly what you asked for, but dso you bother to read it? Nope. You were never really even concerned with the answers. Do you bother to thank him by name for going out of his way? Nope. I mean, you ask, he's giving, but you don't really even notice the very thing you asked for.

Proof that you were never here to gain answers to the man, just to cause trouble.

Are you happy now?

I Sound the Bell Of The Troll! :DB)

You were in want of no answers, you already had them! You know it ALL!

YOU, sir, were here to TEACH US your moralistic take on the world of drugs and those who take them, WEREN'T YOU?

It's not that we don't know Dime, it's more that we really don't care to discuss someone we like with someone like yourself who walks with a cold heart and no good disposition towards your fellow man who may be grieving at a loss.

bingo...once again drak said it better than i could have...those were my thoughts exactly