jus wondering about shielding paint

the third eye

don't know much about the layer of shielding paint under the pickups

does it matter that it gets covered in a layer of paint and sealant

when refinishing?

will it affect anything?

people don't seem to mind that it's covered just as long as it's there undeneath...but why?

questionsquestionsquestions

i never seem to runout :D :ph34r:

Hi,

It doesn't matter there's paint over it. You just make sure the paint doesn't make chemical reaction's you don't won't.

The shielding paint is used to make a 'cage of Faraday'. This is to get rid of interference. Like noise from TL-lighting, amateur radio stations and so on.

You just have to make sure that on some part the shielding paint has to connect to the earth wire, usually found on the back of the volume pot, or the wire that runs from the bridge.

I hope that answers your question.

Gerard B):D

Try this,

Connect your guitar with a speaker cable to the amp.

You will get interference and noise and hum of all kind.

Put the guitar cable in and it's gone.

It's the shielding effect of the woven( correct?, to weave) thin cables in the guitar cable.

This is the use of shielding paint.

Gerard B):D

You just have to make sure that on some part the shielding paint has to connect to the earth wire, usually found on the back of the volume pot, or the wire that runs from the bridge.

Thanks,

did you mean the earth wire i need to connect the shielding to is found on the bridge or volume pot,

or,

that the connection to the shielding can be found there

therefore i don't have to worry that i'm covering the whole pickup cavity with paint?

the back of the volume pot is kind of the "grand central station" of all the ground wiring.everything is grounded to it ,then it is grounded to the bridge.or you can use active electronics.they don't reqire a ground to the bridge.(at least emg's don't)

some guitars have wires running to all the pickup cavities screwed through the shielding paint into the wood and connected to the ground.

howdy, you should che out www.guitarnuts.com. he explains all about shielding. he even gives a tutorial on how to properly shield a guitar. it realy revolutionized how i do things. i really recomend this to anyone who likes to fiddle with their fiddle. :D

Hoi Coen,

Never found a supplier in Holland. I only know there's a kind of tape (made by Bison) which has a aluminium or copper coating on it, but even that is hard to find.

It is a little bit like paintable silicon kit. Everybody knows it exist but nobody knows where to get it.

When I find something I let you know off course

Gerard :DB)