A Very Small, Quick Question About The Jem

Ar-Pharazon

To emulate the singlecoil middle pickup on a JEM, Dimarzio reccomended I use the HS2N in single coil mode. However, they wouldn't tell me which coil to wire up for some odd reason. Does anyone know which one would sound most like the hounourable Mr Vai. The pickup is a stacked humbucker with split coils. I presume I should wire up the top coil as it is closest to the strings, but I was just trying to get someone elses opinion before I wired it all up (soldering is my least favourite part of the whole guitar building process).

Oh and one other thing, to get the unique JEM coil splitting, I know I can't use a regular 5 way switch. Is this what I am after? :

4-Pole, Double Wafer, 5-Way SuperSwitch Switch EP 0078-000

on www.universaljems.com

if not, where can I get hold of one?

:D

Thanks, I was just making sure. Anyhoo, wonder why the evo middle pickup is not available from dimarzio? Turns out it is made in a very similar way to the stacked one, in that it has some form of coil to reduce hum... and no, I'm not talking out of my rear just to contradict you... anyway, according to a lot of people, the closest dimarzio pickup to the Evo middle is the hs-2n in single coil mode.

I read somewhere that its a Virtual Vintage....

I know that the evo 7 was a sort of evo, virtual vintage combo...

Thanks for the head up frank, I had a look and you are right... I wonder why dimarzio gave the ability for coil splitting.

Thank you everyone for your input

:D

... I wonder why dimarzio gave the ability for coil splitting...

So you could use the single coil alone without the dummy coil - even though it only eliminates the hum and doesn't add any signal, it still doubles the inductance and the impedance of the pickup, lowering the resonant frequency.

... I wonder why dimarzio gave the ability for coil splitting...

So you could use the single coil alone without the dummy coil - even though it only eliminates the hum and doesn't add any signal, it still doubles the inductance and the impedance of the pickup, lowering the resonant frequency.

Thanks for that