Jem Decal- Where Do I Get It

I looked up replica:

A copy or reproduction of a work of art, especially one made by the original artist

Also copy:

An imitation or reproduction of an original; a duplicate

Counterfeit:

To make a copy of, usually with the intent to defraud; forge: counterfeits money. To make fraudulent copies of something valuable. Made in imitation of what is genuine with the intent to defraud: a counterfeit dollar bill. A fraudulent imitation or facsimile.

How about imitation:

Not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article. To copy exactly; reproduce.

Reproduce:

To produce a counterpart, an image, or a copy of something

Bogus:

Counterfeit or fake; not genuine: bogus money; bogus tasks

Fake:

Having a false or misleading appearance; fraudulent. One that is not authentic or genuine; a sham. To contrive and present as genuine; counterfeit.

Maybe Imposter:

One who engages in deception under an assumed name or identity. one that assumes a false identity or title for the purpose of deception.

Sham:

Something false or empty that is purported to be genuine; a spurious imitation. Not genuine; fake.

Is it Faux maybe:

Artificial; fake. Not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article; "it isn't fake anything; it's real imitation Ibanez"

Forgery:

To fashion or reproduce for fraudulent purposes; counterfeit: forge a signature.

Maybe this one suits better.... Bullshit:

To attempt to mislead or deceive by talking nonsense. Something worthless, deceptive, or insincere.

Pick whichever fits the bill dude. Calling it a replica doesnt change a thing, otherwise we would ALL be making replica paper money.

Ultimately the choice to do this is yours. I would bet that you wont remove the JEM decals if the guitar was for sale. Make sure you send lots of pics of the finished project to this public form though, ok!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

k this is my last post on this stupid topic.

"Dont give me this personal "satisfaction" bullshit either"

:D I guess I can't build my own carved top les paul made of mahogony and alder with a mahogony neck and rosewood fretboard because i can't have the personal satisfaction because rhoads said not to and i have to buy one that vits that description, and I guess you can't build replica looking guitars either then for your personal satisfaction regardless of a headstock logo or not.

I understand what you're saying rhoads but like i said earlier, i don't give a crap unless he does sell it because one day it could be me getting screwed, and you don't know if he is selling it for sure. If he does sell it then i say lets lynch mob him, until then I don't care. It's only fraud if he does sell it, not if he carries it around for himself. Money is different if caught with it. Otherwise, we would all get charged for carrying burned CDs in our backpack except for the one in our discman because we'd have the intent on selling them.

Calling it a replica doesnt change a thing, otherwise we would ALL be making replica paper money.

just like we're all making replica guitars even without the headstock logo? Even if he doesn't put the logo on the stupid thing he can just state that the neck broke and that's why he put the wizard on, and i bet people would still buy it, prolly not as much though. It's not illegal unless he sells it labeling it as an authentic liscenced Jem 555. Money is different because if you are caught with money regardless fake or not, you do have the intent to spend it/sell it 100% more then saving it. You don't have the intent to sell a guitar 100% more then "saving" it for personal use.

This issue is tireing, I suggest a mod or admin shut it down.

-Jamie

Ahhh, so this is a tutorial on.... nah, I still dont get it :D

Just for the record, I'm with Perry on this one, I dont understand why you would want a Jem decal on the guitar, if it was me I'd strip the paint from the head and put "my" name on it, after all that work, why do you want to let people think Ibanez made it?

Be proud of it and put your own name on it.

exactly why i said "If I were him and were making a replica/tribute I would at least want to add a personal touch to this guitar so that it is actually mine to call my own, which is why we build and customize guitars correct?"

im on no ones side but my own lol.

btw, it's a tutorial on how to not post non-tutorial items in a tutorial section B):D

-Jamie

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt making a completely identical replica defeat the purpose of builing a guitar? what i mean is, i modify things to suit my own needs, using a neck of another guitar is fair enough, but i have found making my own to be a much better option, because most neck profiles are way to thin and cause cramping and soreness in my thumb, and body contours alot of the time seem and feel a bit off, i prefer the look and feel of no contours, and perry is right, why copy a logo/ decal? higher selling price, well thats the only thing that it does, cos ur only fooling urself if u said "this is a fender stratocaster"

luke

:DB)

Ok, so lets bash the newbie for asking for help. Perry, while I usually agree with you, I do not here. Picture this.....what is the differencebetween a lefty making a replica jem in reverse orientation for himself because Ibanez is too shallow to make one, and making a 5150 replica using a Kramer decal? Especially when all he will get is thin decals, not the silkscreened vinyl Ibanez uses. I know myself that lefties get the shaft, as they are limited to a few select guitars and we righties can have anything we want. He stated plainly he wont be selling it, and its for his own personal enjoyment. If you cant understand that, cool, but at the very least, get off your high horse. You are not the king of the forum, and the language is getting hasty.

JCF: The next time you screw up, I'll be sure to laugh when you get reamed....newbie bashing.....that'll score ya points

JCF: The next time you screw up, I'll be sure to laugh when you get reamed....newbie bashing.....that'll score ya points

Huh?

I havent laughed once in this tread, no pointing fingers either.

I have posted in wrong places but I asked for it to be moved when I saw my mistake.

>newbie bashing - sorry, I dont understand what that means.

And.... I'm not here to score any points?

I was just wondering why this is in the "tutorials" section of the forum. Maybe I thought one of the mods would get the "hint" :D

I'm sorry that I replied in this post, I mean this is not the first "post in the wrong section" and I'm sure its not the last.

On the decal issue, I still think it's wrong to put a Jem (or whatever) decal on something that isnt, but I really dont care what he puts on his headstock.

:D Hey, JFC, I think i've figured out what this tutorial is about - it's about criminal copyright infringement/counterfeiting, and the bad behavior that results when somebody catches you at it! You see, it all started with a newbie who needed an accomplice to commit fraud, and he got mad when Perry called his attention to the fact that he was commiting fraud, so in the classic angry young man style that's become so popular with all these rebels without a clue, he told Perry to butt out if he couldn't help! :D If this were a South Park® episode, this is where Stan would say, "You know, I've learned something here today...". B)

For the record, if you need a JEM decal (or a classic spaghetti logo Strat decal, or a Kramer 5150 graphics package, or whatever) to validate yourself, you have problems that are beyond the scope of this venue - do whatever you can live with, but don't expect blanket approval from everyone here, especially when what you're doing is at best a cause for civil action. I fully expect to see an Ebay ad in a couple of years touting a "rare JEM LH prototype - one of a kind!". :D

:D Hey, JFC, I think i've figured out what this tutorial is about - it's about criminal copyright infringement/counterfeiting, and the bad behavior that results when somebody catches you at it! You see, it all started with a newbie who needed an accomplice to commit fraud, and he got mad when Perry called his attention to the fact that he was commiting fraud, so in the classic angry young man style that's become so popular with all these rebels without a clue, he told Perry to butt out if he couldn't help! :D If this were a South Park® episode, this is where Stan would say, "You know, I've learned something here today...".  :D

B)

thanks litchfield! Your the man

Wow...unreal!...I asked for help (with best intention may i add), and the whole thing turned into a big moral debate! Does this happen everytime you post a topic? I sure hope not.

Ok, so i posted a topic in a wrong area...Jesus, somebody shoot me...I'm new here and i screwed up...My appologies to all...Specially JFC...As for being a "kid", well, I'm 23,not THAT young now am I?

As for this guitar going on eBay-hey if you see it on eBay=I'll give it to you along with my house!!!!..like i said, It's nothing like that,It's purely for personal enjoyment!

It might be one big fake left handed Ibanez Jem, but hey, it'll be MY big fake left handed Ibanez Jem= and that's what i want it to be

Regards

Vuk, Gold Coast

Sorry, but you're still missing the point - regardless of how pure your motivation is, it's still illegal - :D heck, the only reason I took all those drugs in the 70s was to keep them out of the hands of innocent children, but I would still have been imprisoned if caught, even though my sacrifice probably saved lives. Besides, with all the fake "vintage" guitars that have showed up over the last decade or so, you'll have to understand why some of us old farts question at least your judgement, if not your motivation. Some estimates say that at the peak of the vintage craze there may have been twice as many vintage Telecasters offered for sale as Fender produced in the pre-CBS era.

At any rate, it doesn't look like you're going to get any help with your JEM decals here, so why not let it go? Sorry if you feel you've been wronged, but you were asking for cooperation in an illegal act, and it's hard for me to see how that makes you feel unduly put upon. And just a friendly piece of advice - hostile replies to long-time forum contributors are not going to endear you to the general populace here. Civility will be more likely to get you what you want.

And if I have offended you in any way, please feel free to ignore anything I have said that makes you feel uncomfortable! Good luck with that fraudulent decal. B)

buckethead, it sounds like you'll have to make your own. I'll give you a hint - in Photoshop 5.0 at least, the font called "Kunstler Script" is exactly the same and the JEM script.

Other than that, I think this thread is done because theres no real use in arguing about a topic that no one will ever change their opinions on.

Thanks bowser!

i'll give it a shot.

And lovekraft, I'm really AM trying to let it go, I've sort of gave up anyway.This whole thing has it's pros and cons,it's just a matter of different people being opinionated.I dont see it THAT fraudulent coz it's for personal use, but some other people might find the whole act highly sinister.As for hostile replies- my deepest appologies to the people that i might have hurt in any way, but i AM new and constructive criticism would me more appreciated than personal attacks.

Thank you everybody that HAS helped.

Vuk, Gold Coast :D

Edited by buckethead777

Their is ABSOLUTELY ZERO personal benefit in having the decals on the guitars, other than better resale value. Prove me wrong.

It has no less personal benefit than a lot of the stuff people do to their guitars on here I suppose. Who cares if it's finished clear-coat, matte black or chromalusion? How is the tone or playability improved by having LED fret markers? It's all about PERSONAL benefit.

The closest thing to a guitar project of mine is an RG7620 which I refinished in harlequin, made up a perforated steel pickguard for, and coloured the pick-ups on. It's still an Ibanez RG, it's not my guitar. Purely for personal satisfaction though, I have my own "Ferret Custom Shop" logo on the headstock. If anyone asks I'll happily tell them it's still an RG and I didn't make it from scratch, but it's something I just wanted to have on there just so it feels more personal and more like my own.

I wouldn't go labelling mine a "Jem" when it's not or anything because I don't believe in brand-whoring but if this guy's dream is to own a left-handed Jem but he can't afford one (or they don't exist) and having that logo will give him more satisfaction from that guitar then so be it. It's almost as pathetic as someone buying a Toyota and decking it out with Lambourghini badges- I can't say I agree with it but I wouldn't assume it's purely for resale scamming either. As for fraudulent... only if he tries to sell it under the pretense that it's an authentic Jem. It was established it was just because he wants a left-handed Jem. I say leave people to their dreams so long as it hurts no others.

You're just jealous because he didn't want to get an Ormsby decal for it :D

Edited by FerretallicA

...Lambourghini...
:D

lamborghini.png

I guess if you spell it like that, it wouldn't be trademark infringement!

(Lamborghini® and the associated logo are trademarks of Automobili Lamborghini SPA, and used here under the Fair Use exception. No association with or endorsement by Automobili Lamborghini SPA is implied.)

There are tutorials here on doing the monkey grip.....the lions claw routing.......Pyramid inlays, etc......all of which are copyrighted by Ibanez.

Anyone seen Brians JPM decals or the Gilbert F-Holes on ebay?

I aint saying its right but if the owner of the site is doing it?!?!?!?!

This isnt Brian bashing, but come on Perry, dont take that 'hollier than thou' attitude just because you make your own guitars.

Its great that you have your own opinion, but so do others mate.