2 New Projects For The Year

Alright well ive been researching for what feels like ever now and im in woodshop now at school so i finally get to start my projects. This years projects will be as follows.

1. Ibanez Steve Vai Bad Horsie

Alder Jem body w/ monkey grip

chome mirror front (made out of acrylic) and pearloid binding round edge

one piece flamed maple neck

rosewood fretboard with front showing blue leds

floyd rose low profile bridge

Dimarzio evolution pups

2. Custom Gibson Flying V

Mohogany body with quilted maple front dye'd bright green sunburst

white binding round body and neck

1 piece mohogany neck with rosewood fretboard and green front showing leds

tom bridge and tailpiece

Emg pups (most likely 60 and 81 in white.)

This is what i got so far, im sure i will have more stuff with the time comes. I keep you guys posted, i should start these most likely in one to two weeks, just waiting on templates i ordered for the bodys and what not.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like cool projects, i am especially digging the flying V, are you going to burst it, like a darker green then to really bright, like lime??

Check my thread, (progress of my Jem style guitar) and you can see all the stuff i am doing to my Jem, its also basswood

Reember, dont skimp on the sanding, or the pictures :D

Curtis

Well man there's a lot of way's to get some good flamed maple's or any wood,

the the best way for you would be to try your local hardwoods shop or try eBay

there's a ton of great wood there

Hear's A great guy to buy from He has some realy great stuff

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ...woodsQQsbrsrtZl

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Your really gonna have a tough time finding a flamed maple top wide enough for a V, id defly check ebay tho its your best bet, I happened to find mine at a local lumber yard i had to dig thru the pile for a while to find a big enough piece

heres a couple pics of my V

MzI

Flying V

and heres the piece i used for the top it was 11 1/2 inches wide

Flamed Maple

Well i few changes have already occured. Im going to be using Curly maple (really figured) instead of flamed maple for my front. I saw some of this and fell in love with it. And my Jem body is going to be alder not basswood, and the neck will be flamed maple and babinga not just regular maple. I will most likely be ordering the wood tomarrow so i will keep you guys posted and take pics of it when it comes in.

• 3 weeks later...

Have made some progress. Got all my wood glued up and was able to cut out my V today. I will cut my JEM tomarrow. I got my curly maple today from Macbeath and it doesnt look all the figured but of course its also just rough sawn too. Im sure ill see more when i bookmatch it. I will bookmatch this tomarrow and glue it. Prolly by friday i will have both guitars cut out and the v glued together (top and back) and be ready to start my necks. I have pics but my teacher took them. I will get copys and post them.

Well my vai it total cut out and just about done sanded (outside). Im still deciding what to do about my maple, cause the supposed curly maple that i ordered really isnt that curly at all and i want a lot of figure showing. So now im debating weather to buy a blank off ebay. Although if i do i have no idea what to do with all this other extra wood i have now......... hmmmm perhaps yet another project in the starts. I also found out that my mohogany blank had enough extra wood so that i can glue it up and get yet another V out of it. Im gonna glue it up and cut it out and ill just wait and see what i have to do with it. Need to come up with some more ideas....... Ill keed you guys posted.....

Well my vai it total cut out and just about done sanded (outside). Im still deciding what to do about my maple, cause the supposed curly maple that i ordered really isnt that curly at all and i want a lot of figure showing. So now im debating weather to buy a blank off ebay. Although if i do i have no idea what to do with all this other extra wood i have now......... hmmmm perhaps yet another project in the starts. I also found out that my mohogany blank had enough extra wood so that i can glue it up and get yet another V out of it. Im gonna glue it up and cut it out and ill just wait and see what i have to do with it. Need to come up with some more ideas....... Ill keed you guys posted.....

Try giving it a quick sanding if it's real rough and then rubbing it with a cloth that's damp with either naphtha (zippo fluid) or water - even really highly figured wood can look pretty plain when it's dry and unfinished, and wetting it like this will show you more or less what the grain will look like under a clear finish.

Yeah i did that today, and the figure is just really faint. So what im going to do is take all the curly maple i have and save it for another project. Im thinking a telecaster. Im going to buy some maple off ebay, like was recommended before, just wish i had listened lol. Guess thats what i get for taking chances eh? Oh well, all the wood will get used. Im also thinking that im going to upgrade my JEM neck to all flamed maple. My question is how hard is flamed maple to carve with a rasp and surform and what not? Does the grain want to tare a lot?

Filing and sanding figured wood is no problem, grain tearout issues only arise when planing/join/routing or chiseling. I have never usedd a sureform- but my impression is that it is like a cheesegrater- the amount of tear out depends on the intensity of grain variation- and aggression of blades used among other things. Test the sureform on scrap of the identical piece you want to use it on.

Ok, more progress. The outside of my JEM is done being sanded and tomarrow i will route everything out. I got some badass quilted maple from durawoods (thanks metal matt) on ebay for my V. And i also got a block of flamed maple for my JEM neck. I will also start working on my fretboards tomarrow. I will be getting routed and holes drilled for my leds going in them.

Alright, well ive ran into some problems and i have some questions. I went to route out my guitar body and ran into some complications. When i started this project i bought a set of templates for the JEM and the template that i was sent does not match all the demensions of the pdf instructions on on floyd rose home page. The templates are only off a few mm. I thought maybe he was just giving me some room to work with, but thought i asked first cause this is my first time installing a tremolo. So what do i do? Do i take the pdf demensions and use them or the template demensions and use them? Also how big is the heel on the back of a bolt on neck cause i need to route my neck cavity and dont know how far down to route it.

Alright, well ive ran into some problems and i have some questions. I went to route out my guitar body and ran into some complications. When i started this project i bought a set of templates for the JEM and the template that i was sent does not match all the demensions of the pdf instructions on on floyd rose home page. The templates are only off a few mm. I thought maybe he was just giving me some room to work with, but thought i asked first cause this is my first time installing a tremolo. So what do i do? Do i take the pdf demensions and use them or the template demensions and use them? Also how big is the heel on the back of a bolt on neck cause i need to route my neck cavity and dont know how far down to route it.

Just wondering ... Is the template routed for an Ibanez trem? Are you using a 'real' Floyd? Are the dimensions identical between the two?

I'm pretty sure that the different variations of the Floyd-style trems are just that. Different. Of course, as always, I could be wrong.

How about some help from the experienced guys?

I got my whole little bridge situation worked out. Im using a floyd rose low profile. I am going to route my whole body tomarrow. I will take some pics and post them. Just another quick question (i know you guys are getting tired of my stupidity lol), seeing how i am using a floyd rose does that mean i will have need f spaced pups? I searched and found the post and still was a little confussed.

Thanks

Alright, well its been a few days some work has been done, guess its time for an update lol. I got my quilted and flamed maple from ebay. Got my quilted bookmatched and glued together. Tomarrow i should be gluing it to the V body. I got my two neck blocks (mohogany and flamed maple) ripped down the middle and tomarrow i will be cutting the angle and gluing them. Then by monday i should have my JEM body routed (said was going to do it last weekend but am waiting for bridge to come in) and done. Come monday i will sand my V and start cutting and shaping my necks. So far there have been a couple set along the road but nothing extremely big. Also i know ive been promising pics. I am getting my brothers camara this weekend and will be taking pics of everything from here on out. Also toamrrow i am going to talk to the plastic shop in town who told me that doing the chrome plastic stuff is no problem, so if anyone has any questions for them let me know and i will ask them.

Ok guys, i know ive been promising pics for a while now and here they are. Like ive said before im not the best with a camara but i try my best. So if there is something in paticular that u want to see that i didnt take a pic of let me know. And as always questions are more then welcome and appreciated. Here they are...

DCP_0397.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0396.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0395.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0394.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0393.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0392.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0391.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0390.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...an/DCP_0389.jpg

Btw, the maple in there is the flamed maple neck im doing for the JEM, i know it looks kind outta place but thought i would snap a couple shots of it so you could see the figure. Let me know what you guys think.

hey, those look real nice. Love the maple to mahogany contrast. What are you doing for the edges? I think it would look nice with a 1/2" radius round, or a little less.

Got my bridge yesterday, which makes me happy. Its a very nice looking floyd rose. I messed up on my necks when i glued them up so i am fixing this. Gonna have to stick a couple dowels in them but they will be fine, im glad i can fix it cause i have a lot of money in the wood for them. Its spring break and i plan on getting a lot done so check back here for up dates.

Hey duff,

Tomarrow you might want to put all but one pic in link format. Just for guys with dial up. (Do they still exist??)

Clean looking JEM route though.....

And on OFR route....are you gonna use routing templates of the FR website.....cause with my OFR route I adjusted them a bit.....

Edited by RGGR