Cheap As Hell Pedals

GregP

Announced at NAMM are a whole slew of new Behringer products, including a line of stompbox effects based mostly on Boss ideas and tones, but with a few extras in there.

Highlights for me from the page:

-Vtone Guitar GDI21 (Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 ripoff)

-Hellbabe HB01 (Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby ripoff, with extras)

-MS40 digital monitor speakers (Edirol MA-20 ripoffs... not legendary, but affordable)

Other people who are still into the stompbox thing should really take a look at all the new stompers they have on tap... it's mind-blowing... also cheap!

Of course, they're total rip-offs of other companies, but they don't hide that fact so I can't really be angry at them for it. :D

The link:

http://www.behringer.com/01_news/events_wn...05.cfm?lang=ENG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my wallet says behringer

my pride says stick with the originals

my common sense says that im skint right now and if i want any more FX im gonna have to be building them lol

wow, great prices!

Well c'mon, these circuits aren't rocket science and they've been around for years, why the heck shouldnt they come down in prices? I mean, when any other piece of audio gear- CD players, for instance- came out, they were expensive- now you can get all kinds including cheap ones at Radio Shack.

I hate to say it, but manufacturers have been spoiled getting upwards of a hundred bucks for these things- they ought to be 24.99 like many of these are. Save the pricey market for really innovative stuff- like boutique specialty pedals- now those are worth the premium prices. but EQ's and overdrives???

I say good on Behringer for bringing the prices down where they ought to be. If you want to make money, don't do it by skinning musicians. (never mind that the big names do it all the time...)

Edited by x189player

all that stuff looks affordable and pretty decent, might be making a few perchases later on then

i have to say that its not so much the sound of the pedal first abnd foremost but the construction. i know that boss pedals are bombproof and generally sound pretty good.

if the behringer pedals are just as bomb proof then i probablly would end up buying a few and just modding the hell out ofthem.

In the end I would love to just build them (gonna try and get into that stuff soon). Boss has some good pedals but I think all their distortions are lacking. Those prices are really nice, I hope tomorrow when I go to the guitar stores they have a few so i can check em out:)

Behringer has never spent any money on product development; they basically just buy products from other companies, and build something similar... after the other company has worked out the bugs.

However, some Behinger products (a couple of their "studio" audio monitors and their cheapest mixers) are prone to RFI/EMI... but I think they would be smart enough to shield pedals properly.

I base that last assumption on their DI-100. I own one of those DI boxes, and it is 1) very tough, and 2) very quiet. However, unlike a pedal, it doesn't have any big moving parts, so it's almost like comparing apples and oranges.

D~s

Chances are, they are probably using digital circuitry to keep prices cheap. Obviously they won't sound quite as good as the orginals, but worh it if you're on a budget. If they are in fact analog though, there's no way I won't try them out, I think I will even if they are digital LOL

Dunno for sure. I don't see why they wouldn't be analog, though. It'd be more effort than it's worth to try to digitally model cheesy analog plug-ins. Probably easier to look at the original's guts and reverse-engineer it than to do a digital model. :D Plus, since they all use analog ins and outs, that's extra AD/DA circuitry that'd have to be included.

Logic tells me that it's easier for them to just stick to analog, actually. But, I could be dead wrong!

Greg

About time!!!

Why can we get Televisions, microwaves, cd players, stereos, mobile phones, answering machines, and a swag of other more electronically advanced items, for less than a Boss (or simular) pedal. Its been an outrage for too long.

I'll buy a pedal per fortnight at those prices.

Since there are no soundclips for the SansAmp ripoff, I went to the SansAmp website. Woo-hah! If they're pretty close in their rip-offing, this will be the best $50 (CDN, even!) that I'll ever have spent! Actually, a bit more once I pay for the not-included power supply (drat!).

Greg

http://www.behringer.com/AB100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

this could be nice...vintage clean and modern high gain(switching between 2 amps)...as long as there is no signal leakage

now how would i play 2 heads individually through the same cabinets?

http://www.behringer.com/TO100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

this one i have my doubts about...the original tube screamer has actual tube distortion.....if i am not mistaken

I'm not getting my hopes up, as I'm fairly sure Boss's lawyers will already be all over this. However, assuming all goes well, I'll be buying me more than a few of those! DI, AB, EQ, and others that aren't just two letters!

Would not be the first time this happens to Behringer, but usually they delay the negotations in court so long that they already sold enough of the product in question to be able to easily pay the penalties and still make a good profit. Very ugly strategy and one of the reason why I don't like Behringer. Their equipment is good and prices are excellent but you support that kind of business practice by buying from them. That's the reason I have no good feeling when buying from them....

Fair enough, GM. I have to admit, I have not much pity for Boss, though. They've been gouging young guitarists for years with shoddy effects pedals. Sure, some of their stuff is classic, but other pedals? Overpriced pieces of die-cast junk.

It could easily be stated that the V-Amp2 is a rip-off of a Pod, but at least for that one they were smart enough to change the colour and shape a bit more. :D

The Boss-alike font is a bit TOO cheeky. I wonder if they've already researched the legality, though? Surely they wouldn't openly and brazenly describe a pedal as "Modeled after the Boss OD-1" or whatnot otherwise?

Greg