Cheap As Hell Pedals

GregP

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well they are all idiots.. Behringer should have known better.. The "homemade" look is in right now anyway.. why not package then in boutiquy looking chassis with stomp switches.. they would have made a killing. less moving parts and much cooler looking.

And Roland with their legalese.. They aren't profiting from roland's hard work.. They are profiting from Rolands decades of pricing abuse and charging 80 bucks for a few transistors and some basic circuitry. Of course roland has to say what they said to make their case..

So close.. hopefully behringer will change the packaging and come out with them anyway.. Consumers will do their research and realize they sound like the Boss pedals. If you notice on the behringer website.. all the pedals are 3D renderings.. That tells me they haven't done the full scale production yet.

Actually, maybe they are geniuses.. they do this. get loads of PR about how they are clones of Boss, get sued, then they change their trade dress to comply and they fly off the shelves thanks to Roland..

Yawp,

Plus, anyone notice the source of that most recent link? "Source: Roland".

Hardly objective journalism, though at the core the facts remain the same I guess. :D

"Good for Boss/Roland", though? Give me a break. I have no sympathy for them in the least. They would pretty much HAVE to advance a law suit... there's not much else they COULD do because to hold back would mean a) Behringer WOULD use the 'trade dress', uncontested, and B) there would be implied permission on Boss's part.

Surely Behringer knew that there's be no choice for them BUT to sue, so I agree that it could very well be a highly devious marketing trick. :D

Greg

All im gonna say is i think its good theres a bit of competition. Might bring pedal prices down. And lets hope that behringer make a clone of the classic DF-2. I got an old battered one off ebay, Bloody brilliant. One trick wonder, but so much fun. :D

I wasn't really responding to any one particular person, Godin, although I suppose you're probably in the 'school of thought' that I was speaking to. :D

FWIW, I agree that whether it was 'wrong' or not, it WAS certainly "stupid" for them to copy so closely.

Greg

I believe you may have a point Greg and it will possibly force BOSS to rethink their prices but I have ZERO expectation these Behringer pedals will be worth anything. I haven't seen a Behringer made distortion yet that was worth more than being a paper weight...we'll see.

That's because they've done almost everything digitally before. :D

Frankly, it's pretty hard to mess up the Boss overdrive pedals, I would think. I don't like the sound of THOSE either, mind.

I'm just waiting for that GDI-21. :D THAT will be an interesting test.

Greg

I dont really like the sound of the boss overdtive pelals wither. BUT I have a SD-1 super overdrive and I hated teh sound. So I went on the internet and found some mods I could to to improve it. And now I absalutly LOVE that thing. It's overdrive sounds WAY better than my friends original tube screamer.

I don't know if it is just me, or do the pedals look a bit different know. Perhaps they have remodelled them.

OD100_medium.jpg

Interesting you said remodelled when that's exactly what this is! It's only a CAD render, it's something they could have thrown together in a couple of days without making any hardware.

Interesting you said remodelled when that's exactly what this is!  It's only a CAD render, it's something they could have thrown together in a couple of days without making any hardware.

See, that's why i think it was all a stunt. There is no product yet.. There are specs and 3d renderings of it. 2 weeks ago, the renderings all looked like BOSS pedals, same colors, same model names, etc.. which of course after a big NAMM announcement made roland sue them and let the world know that these pedals were clones of the boss line, only at about 1/3 the price. Now they have remodeled them and with this publicity, i bet they will sell a lot. I plan on buying a few if they turn out to be good quality.

I still dont think there gonna be anything great. So far everything behringer I've tried has been crap. Unless this is a MAJOR turning point for the company and they finally started producing good sounding products I dont think they will sell. Sure I will try um out and if they prove to sound good I'll buy like a hundred. But I seriously dought it's gonna happen.

To be fair, for what? a quarter of the price (most boss pedals are over £60 here, and the behringer ones RRP is £15 or there abouts), most people aren't going to care if it only has 1.3 seconds of delay (who except from the edge uses that much anyway?!) or if its not as adjustable. If they sound half decent, I'm having a pedal board full of the damn things.

To be fair, for what? a quarter of the price (most boss pedals are over £60 here, and the behringer ones RRP is £15 or there abouts), most people aren't going to care if it only has 1.3 seconds of delay (who except from the edge uses that much anyway?!) or if its not as adjustable. If they sound half decent, I'm having a pedal board full of the damn things.

Well you could buy 4 Behringer delays, plug them all together and then you could have 5.2 seconds of delay for the same price of the boss 3 second :D