Cnc Machines

KeithHowell

We are looking at getting a CNC Machine to assist with our production. The machine would be used for drilling bodies ( not carving) and for making other small metal parts, as well as fret slotting.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Keith

Afri-Can Guitars

I think your doing the right thing by asking for recommendations. CNC's can be a bit of a mine field.

I would try to talk to as many companies as possible that make parts out of a similar material and size as you will be. See if they can recommend (or even more importantly - tell you not to buy from) any manufactureres or agents.

Keep your eye on the retooling costs too as you're pretty much bound to bust a few bits when your debugging the programme. Have a look for good technical support too, as personally I would say it'll pay back itself for when things go a bit tits up.

Well, I suppose that this was a bit of a useless post. I've read your posts before and I doubt if I've put anything that you haven't already thought of. Good luck dude and send me a cheap guitar.......

........Oh and your .co.uk wont load on my computer :D

Hi Keith, we use a Shopbot. It's OK if you're really good at setting up machines. Their Forum is the best. Lots of help. Which is as important as the machine itself.

Check out their site www.shopbottools.com and forum www.talkshopbot.com

Look for posts from Gerald Dorrington. He's pretty much the smartest, most capable guy on the whole forum and he's not too far from you. He sent me a link to your website once. I love your guitars, I'm going to have to buy one sometime.

What is your budget? If you are looking for something a little more industrial, try Haas CNC. I use one at work ( I'm also starting to do some guitar work on the side) I love this machine. We've had it for almost 7 years now and have not had a lick of trouble. We have a VF-3 which is big enough I could cut neck through guitars if I wanted to. But Haas has many smaller machines as well. The control is very easy to use and learn. With one day of training you could be programing and cutting parts. The only thing is they cost alot more than a shop-bot. It all depends what your want to do.

One other advantage of a more industrial type of machine is a tool changer. I was just rereading your original post, and it sounds like you want to do several different operations in you machine. With a tool changer you could set up a fretboard, cut the fret slots change tools cut the inlays, change tool and cut the taper, and you only set the job up once. If you were doing runs of say 10 fretboards you would have 30 maual tool changes. With the tool changer you set up the job once and from there you put your board in the jig and hit the green button. :D

Thanks for the advice all.

I don't have a budget yet but am trying to put one together hence the post. The designer/chief engineer is very keen on getting a CNC machine to up production. However like all engineers, and I include myself in this, he will find the fanciest machine with the most features so he can play and then only use 10 percent.

The websites are under going a rebuild, hence the reason some are not working. We should have them up shortly. So watch this space or the announcements area.

A friend of mine bought the company hence the changes. I am taking over as production manager.

Keith

What is  your budget?  If you are looking for something a little more industrial, try Haas  CNC.  I use one at work ( I'm also starting to do some guitar work on the side)  I love this machine.  We've had it for almost 7 years now and have not had a lick of trouble.  We have a VF-3 which is big enough I could cut neck through guitars if I wanted to.  But Haas has many smaller machines as  well.  The control is very easy to use and learn.  With one day of training you could be programing and cutting parts.  The only thing is they cost alot more than a shop-bot.  It all depends what your want to do.

One other advantage of a more industrial type of machine is a tool changer.  I was just rereading your original post, and it sounds like you want to do several different operations in you machine.  With a tool changer you could set up a fretboard, cut the fret slots change tools cut the inlays, change tool and cut the taper, and you only set the job up once.  If you were doing runs of say 10 fretboards you would have 30 maual tool changes.  With the tool changer you set up the job once and from there you put your board in the jig and hit the green button. :D

Good points. For us the lease payments on a Haas would have put us out of business in no time. If you're company is grossing $400K+ per year, you should have no problem keeping up with the payments.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've a quick question for jer7440. If you were building guitars on your Haas full time, how would you go about locating your fixtures on the table? Would you use something to index the fixtures and use a common home point, or would you re-set your home point with every fixture change?

If I was doing this full time, I think I would build my fixtures to a common home point. That way all you have to do is clamp your fixture into whatever you use for reference, load your program and go. Right now I don't have the luxury of keeping a common reference point in my machine (I have to do some real work with it once and while or the boss gets ticked). I just make sure my fixtures are square to the table travel and then I use an edge finder to pick up a corner. My programs are all based from this corner, or this x0 y0 point.

I am in the middle of my first protype right now. Hopefully by the time I start doing the real thing, I will have my own digital camera so I can document the process.

• 2 weeks later...

you should give Ron a calll, i'm sure he'd be more then happy to talk shop. i can't say 100% sure if he is or isn't building the CNC machines any more ( maybe since he got his guitar line off the ground he doesn't have the time any more between them and all the inlay work he does for other guitar companies ) but like Drezdin said the last one i know he completed was for Scott Heatley and that was within the last year or so..if he's not then he'll definatly get you headed in the right direction in what would be best for your needs

actually another guy whose brain you could pick is Joe Driskill at Driskill guitars..he's like a mad little scientist when it comes to CNC Techy stuff. he actually built one of his guitars to be played by breath pressure ( for a guitar player that was Paralyzed in an accident ) really far out space age robotic stuff

.he's good folk too.. funny as hell

Edited by MOJO