Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recursion

Post A Pic Of Your Workshop!

What equipment does everybody use here?(beside a dremel and bandsaw)

holy crap matt. You have some nice tools!  Man I wish I had a drum sander :D

newwork0001.jpg

Do you mean something like this one :D HAHA Iam bragging :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

this is my dads machine shop. It's mainly used for metal but I use a lot of the machines for my guitar. He's got a CNC, an automatic lathe, a manual lathe, a manual milling machine, a band saw, a drill press, a surface grinder, grinding and buffing wheels, a lot of other crap too. heres a few pics he took for his website we're designing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gle...thumbs_0074.jpg the whole lot (from left to right) light blue- drill press, dark greenish blue- manual lathe, off white- surface grinder, red and black- tool box, grayish blue- manual milling machine, 2 red boxes and one off white box- tool boxes, white and blue- automatic lathe, gray- bandsaw, and if you look real close in the middle by the table, you can see 2 grinding wheels and two buffing wheels.

theres a funny story about that grinding wheel. my dad had an assistant a while back, and his assistent was grinding a metal part nad it slipped nad he ground his thumb halfway off. if you look real close (in person not in the picture) you can actaully spot dried bits of blood on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gle...thumbs_0040.jpg the surface grinder

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gle...thumbs_0030.jpg the cnc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/gle...thumbs_0004.jpg the automatic lathe

the cnc is can only be used for metal because it has a magnet chuck. actually, the latter three pictures are machines that can only be used for metal, but we are thinking about coming out with a line of bridges of our own just to see what it's like.

That is not a very funny story. I always leave the bloodstains. They are more effective than those goofy safety stickers.

My shop is currently knee deep in planer shavings.

This is the only pic I have right now.

1943 Delta 14" bandsaw with riser kit. The war era Deltas have cast iron wheels, I guess because the magnesium was needed for aircraft.

bandsaw.jpg

theres a funny story about that grinding wheel.  my dad had an assistant a while back, and his assistent was grinding a metal part nad it slipped nad he ground his thumb halfway off.  if you look real close (in person not in the picture) you can actaully spot dried bits of blood on it.

Hilarious :D . Nice shop Matt, I really want to get one of those wide belt sanders. I have a friend that works at a place with a 4-grit sander. It's an awesome machine, but I think he said it was like 150k. It can go from 60 to 180 grit in one pass how it's set up now. He said he could take about 1/4" in 2 passes.

lol it is pretty funny cuz the guys thumb actually grew back and you cant even tell it happened.  well except for the blood stains of course.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/88...on/blkkngt4.wav :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hay BigD You gota tell me more about that nice looking purpleheart neck that you have back behind that killer maple!! got any more pic's of it :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

the best tool i see is matts jean jacket. that better be ur building jacket, or else ur guitars wont be as cool anymore.... so is it? needs a whitesnake or motley crue patch tho. gotta get me a sweet shop jacket like that.

:D

the best tool i see is matts jean jacket. that better be ur building jacket, or else ur guitars wont be as cool anymore.... so is it? needs a whitesnake or motley crue patch tho. gotta get me a sweet shop jacket like that.

:D

HAHA no man it's not my jean jacket that honor goes to the owner Ben he own's the shop that I use and he farm's so that jacket is coverd in god knows what maybe sawdust and cow $hit :D I dont realy where a work jacket but sometime's I will throu on my old DEATH t-shirt and blast my trusty KING DIMOND CD's then I start abusing a band saw for a few hours :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Hey bigD,

I cut my neck protype on Fri.. I turned out allright, couple of programing errors :D . Oh well I learned a few things, like I should redraw the neck with a volute to make the headstock stronger.

I will post some pics in my LP thread as soon as I borrow someones camera :D

Heres mine, excuse Sid the cat. he is a pain in the **** passage...

It's nothing major like the rest of you guys, just my garage but it does the job.

w1.jpg

This is the general working area.

s1.jpg

This is my scroll saw 20 " which I managed to get for $50 AU!! B)

m1.jpg

Mitre Saw with laser sight. Great for everything ( my bestest toy ) :D

Cheers all. :D

shop.jpg

Man... I need a bigger shop.

At the moment I have 2 workbenches, a wood lathe (up to 48" x 9" squares), 2 bench sanders, various hand-held sanders, scroll saw, jig saw (the head can be turned in any direction), radial arm saw, bench grinder, drill press, 2 routers (plunge and fixed), Dremel (w/ extension) hanging overhead, joiner/planer, a Workmate (doesn't everybody?), 18 gazillion clamps (but I want more), and 3 small rolling toolboxes full of chisels, files, scrapers, wrenches, sockets, drivers, hammers, and other devices that can turn lumber into furniture or firewood.

On the right of this picture (partially visible) I have my reloading bench and all of those tools. To the left of the pitcure (not visible) I have all of my camping gear, canoe paddles, all of my HO scale trains (over 180 engines and cars) and buildings, plus all of our Christmas decorations. Also not visible in this picture: a washer and dryer, a spare refrigerator, and 23 fishing rods of various style and lengths plus tackle boxes.

I really need a bigger shop!

D~s

So I'm curious, the guys with the CNC's, are they yours or belong to a shop you work for? If they are yours, did you buy them specificly for guitars? or do you run a metal shop?

I have many hours on CNC in a tool and die shop and I think this year will drop the hammer on one specifically for wood working.

my dad is owns a machine shop and I realized yestarday it can also be used for wood, I was mistaken with a machine he was THINKING about buying, but when i said somethign about it, he actaully had gotten the one that can also be used for wood. He said hes gonna start paying me 10 USD an hour to program and run his cnc. Great experience for me eh?

I work in a family business that my dad owns. The cnc machine is mostly used for tool and die work. The good thing is my dad seems to be somewhat intrigued with my little guitar project so he doesn't seem to mind when I use the machine. As long as I don't hold up any real work! :D

LGM, What kind of cnc are you thinking of? Are you looking for something that will do everything, (i.e. bodies, necks, and inlays)?

I am building a copy carver, at some point when I get enough cash a cnc would just be fun to have... I really need a drum sander... you guys ever hear of oliver tools? they have a 25" dual drum sander that ossilates... how cool is that... 4g's though

I would rather get the open ended 15"

You could build your own drum sander. A very nice 1 at that! :D

I am outta space as it is, I have no place to lay out a tool that size I would rather buy. I have enough headaches as it is!!!

-derek