Marshall Mg250dfx *fan Problems*

Corey

I had lots of problems with this model of amp. I bought one and i got it home and started playing it then acouple days later the fan would struggle to turn over. Well i took it back brought another one home and the same happeend with it. took that one back and got ANOTHER one home and the exact same. so i moved up to the mg100dfxh marshall head. It worked fine for awhile yet the fan went on it too. So i eneded up getting a great deal on a AVT50H and went with it and it aint got a fan and it works great!! Just a little warning to stay away from these amps.

Edited by Corey

Are you sure you arent doing something wrong? or your electrics are blowing the circuit or something...because to have them all do it? seems rather strange, and surely it isnt a model defect or marshall should have called them all back in

thats super weird cuz yeah we check tryed it in all the pluggins in our house and we tried it at the music store and all the same problems. What the guitar tech thought maybe because of lifting it up man times whre the fan is located something could be getting bumped in them all. But the weird part is for them all to do that.

Ick. A guitar amp with a fan in it doesn't sound like anything I want anyway. Sounds like they may have just had a bad batch of fans come in from the fan vendor. I bet if the fan was just replaced with a quality ball-bearing unit like a Panaflow it would have been okay.

Ick. A guitar amp with a fan in it doesn't sound like anything I want anyway. Sounds like they may have just had a bad batch of fans come in from the fan vendor. I bet if the fan was just replaced with a quality ball-bearing unit like a Panaflow it would have been okay.

alot of marshall's have a fan in them.including the mode 4 i believe.

so does your computer.it keeps the circuits cooler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All the tube amps I've seen have fans in them.....like Wes said, it keeps them cool. I sure wouldn't want 2-5 tubes in a cabinet cooking at 250+ degrees for long! If they did keep working (and not cook themselves) for more than a half hour the fire would follow soon.....The Marshall tube amps I'm familiar with are hot even WITH a fan. I have added fans to friends cabs to keep them cooler yet. Radio Shack specials for $9.99 work great. My Ampeg has a fan in it but once I turn up the volume I never even know it's there :D

so does your computer.it keeps the circuits cooler

Gee Wes, I didn't know that! I've always wondered what that strange noise and rush of air was all about coming from the back of my computer... :D

I hate fans. I hate the fact that my computer has to have fans in it because it's sooo damn loud!! I can't imagine trying to play the guitar with that kind of distraction, although I suppose if you're playing that loud you really wouldn't notice.

The Marshall Mode 4 is an interesting amp. If it puts out 350 watts I can see why the electronics would probably get pretty hot inside that cabinet. I didn't realize amps like the JCM 2000 had them, nor have I noticed them on some of the Mesa and Crate amps. Guess I just never really paid attention at the guitar store.

It's a 2.5 year old Dell 8200 laptop. When it's plugged into the wall and SpeedStep is turned off, the P4 running at full speed forces the little fans on the heat pipe to run at full speed. They tend to whistle instead of droan like bigger fans.

It's really distracting in a classroom when you have 50 laptops with all their little mini-fans running, too. Add to that the clicky-clacky of the keyboards and it gets annoying fast.

I think my next computer will be a PowerMac G5. I like the concept of larger fans moving at a slower speed forcing air through a ducted case.