'57 Twin Re-issue

unclej

a buddy of mine just brought me a brand new 57 re-issue twin to check out..what a great amp! but while i was reading the owner's manual i came accross a statement that puzzled me. "matched pair of new USA-made Groove Tubes gt6l6-ge output tubes." is someone actually making tubes in the u.s. at present?

Yeah, Aspen bought the old GE production lines for the 6L6 and the 6CA7, and they've been making 6L6s for about three years and 6CA7s for a slightly shorter period of time. I don't know if they're any good, and at $90.00 a pair, I doubt I'll ever find out. AFAIK, he's still having his other tubes made in China or the former Soviet Union, including the new "Mullard" reissue 12AX7s.

thanks lk...no way of knowing how long the tubes will last but the amp sounds great. on the bright channel it starts sounding pretty raunchy at around 5 and i can't imagine what it'd do cranked all the way up. and it's got a great vintage look. lacquered tweed, leather handle and such. we played five different guitars through it and they all sounded good.

Yeah, Aspen bought the old GE production lines for the 6L6 and the 6CA7, and they've been making 6L6s for about three years and 6CA7s for a slightly shorter period of time. I don't know if they're any good, and at $90.00 a pair, I doubt I'll ever find out. AFAIK, he's still having his other tubes made in China or the former Soviet Union, including the new "Mullard"  reissue 12AX7s.

I had heard that only the "innerds" were being made in the US, and the actual tubes were being made in China or where ever.