Thinking Of Buying A Dremel

JohnnyG

Im looking into buying a dremel. im not planning to use it for any guitar inlays just yet tho clearlly thats a posability. main uses will be everything from grinding glass to make slides through to modding and hacking up computer cases.

on ebay there are alot of people selling these 60 piece dremel sets with recharger and everything for about £10 to £15 (20 to 30 USD roughlly)

for that price will i be getting a rubbish piece of kit that will crap out after a day or will i be ok? is there anything i should avoid or look for.

im asking here since i know that a fair few guys will use them and i wasnt able to find anything when i searched

thanks for any advice

JG

I'd consider a SpinSaw that has a flex-shaft attachment.

Not always variable speed like a Dremel, which is the main drawback, but just keep an eye the features and you'll get something with more juice and flexibility for the same price or only slightly more.

I have to confess, I haven't used mine for a great many tasks yet, but I DO have a Dremel that I tried (unsuccessfully) to use for a few tasks. The collet and overall structure of the Dremel didn't instil me with confidence even though I know it's the industry standard.

On the other hand, the SpinSaw is rugged, has power to spare, and also has attachments such as an angle grinder and router base. It wouldn't necessarily replace a full-on router unless you're very good at rough cutting and wouldn't have much material to shave off, but it very well may, at that.

I'd worry about the motor and the attachments on the really cheap ones I've seen on eBay.

Greg

First, I don't like the Dremmels that have battery packs; not enough torque, and they don't last long enough.

Second, I don't use mine for heavy removal. If I need to take out a lot of wood, I use the router or other tool(s).

Third, when it's time to use the Dremmel, nothing else works as good. By the way, mine hangs over my bench from an empty pipe that allows it to slide from one location to another. Also, I use a flex-shaft; that allows me to use the Dremmel bit like a paintbrush... not a chainsaw.

How useful a Dremmel can be will depend on how you want to use it.

D~s

I presume you are getting a genuine Dremmel! We burnt up two Ryobi's before getting a Dremmel and I can say one thing. The Ryobi has got absolutely nothing on a Dremmel and its not even that much cheaper.

Keith

i wasnt planning to use it for heavy routinging tho i suppose if im going to be using it to gut aluminium chassis etc then it would be worth dropping the extra to get a good one.

looking for them on places other than ebay they seem to start at around £50 for a dremel/bit set. so i may wait untill ive got me a job again before dropping the cash on it unless i find something very promising on ebay

cheers for the advice guys. espescially the mention of the flexible shaft from Dugz Ink, that would make some things a helluvalot easier so ill be nabbing one of them as well

ill see what mains powered versions they have on ebay but ill research more before i buy anything

thanks

Edited by JohnnyG

• 1 month later...

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll say again that the SpinSaw is an awesome purchase. I've been using it for routing and rotary tool needs, and it's doing both just fine.

Greg

• 11 months later...

I ordered a Dremel last week, it should be here today. I didn't want a Dremel with a battery pack. Battery packs don't last long with anything. I did get a VERY reasonable price. My kit comes with the Flexshaft and 77 piece kit. Looking forward to using it!!

If you want quality, get a Foredom or something. Dremels are OK for inlay routing (with a good base..I like Stewmac's, I'd love to have the cash for the Bishop Cochran), and they're more or less useless for just about everything else.

IMO.

Oh come on now mattia, we all know you can use a dremel to route out a body and trussrod slot right?... lol

If you want quality, get a Foredom or something. Dremels are OK for inlay routing (with a good base..I like Stewmac's, I'd love to have the cash for the Bishop Cochran), and they're more or less useless for just about everything else.

IMO.

Oh come on now mattia, we all know you can use a dremel to route out a body and trussrod slot right?... lol

Indeed, and they save you bundles on dentistry bills. A mirror, a worn-out rusty grinding burr, and you're golden!

:D

• 1 month later...

My Spinsaw crapped out, after all. I think it's just the switch, as the motor didn't burn out. But those kinds of things are annoying to fix. Brought it back and got a router and a cheap JobMate dremel-alike instead. I've used a real Dremel, and it has noticeably more torque that the JobMate. We'll see how the cheapie holds up to a real job when the time comes.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...