Plans For 7-string Rg!

I've been looking for 7-string (baritone) RG plans but haven't found any.

Is there any?

I could use those jem blueprints from jemsite.com but it's 6-string version, I think. Is it possible to use that jem blueprint to this project?

The body is exactly the same. Only the obvious stuff changes (neck pocket, etc).

Good luck!

You'll just have to plot it out.. make a symmetrical trapezoid with the top the width of your nut and the bottom the width of your bridge (string to string width on both) Then figure out how long the neck will be from nut to heel, take that cross section, measure it and add 1/4 inch (1/8 th wider than your string spcing) and you should have it. It can be whatever you want it to be, you just want to make sure that you have about 1/8 of wood outside your 1st and 6th strings.

All this calculating is making me mad. :D

I don't know if I can measure and calculate all these things without having that neck in my hands.

Jem in that blueprint is 6-string so how could I accurately measure all those things without know stringspacing etc.?

Edited by Incarnation

Use a fret distance calculator with a scale length you want and the number of frets you want. This will give you a length of your neck, nut to heel.

Then draw a center line on a big piece of posterboard or something. At the top of the line draw a line that is your string spacing at the nut.

At the bottom (if your scale length is 27, then at 27" from the nut line, draw a line that is the string spacing of your bridge. You can find this out by deciding which bridge you will buy and look at the string spacing spec.

These lines should be centered. Once drawn, Draw the outside lines connecting each end to make a big trapezoidd. Basically you have plotted your bridge line, nut line and have drawn in the 1st and 6th string.

Now the neck length. Using wfret, i'm showing a 22 fret neck would be 20.14" from nut to heel for a 28" scale.. 19.42" for a 27" scale. A 24 fret neck would be 21" for 28" scale or 20.25 for a 27" scale.

On your center line, pick which length up there you want and measure down from the nut line that far. That is the end of your neck and if you draw a horizontal line and make it exceed the outside lines by 1/8inch on each side you have a calculation for your neck width at heel. In fact, at this point just do the same at the nut and you will have your entire neck drawing dimentioned and if you were careful enough you can use it to build your template off of.

Hope that makes sense. It's not that hard if you just draw it out. The lengths i came up with were derived from WFret.. a fret distance calculator. You can find it online.

The body of Ibanez RG 6 & 7 string are exactly the same.

So therefor you can use the RG-6/Jem plans you have available.

The 27" scale 7 string neck is 48mm at nut and 65mm at 24th fret. Same as regular 25.5" 7 string neck.

Use http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/f...lc/fretcalc.pdf

(or other program) to calculate the distance of the frets.

And you pretty much have all elements to build a great guitar.

Autocad or other program would help though.

Good luck.

Edited by RGGR

All this calculating is making me mad.  :D

I don't know if I can measure and calculate all these things without having that neck in my hands.

If that's true, you should probably re-consider building a guitar. Seriously. You might want to read, research and do some searches on this board to get a better idea of what's involved. Don't mean to sound like a prick but there's alot of "calculating" involved in building a guitar. Most of which, you want to do before you start.

All this calculating is making me mad.  :D

If that's true, you should probably re-consider building a guitar. Seriously. You might want to read, research and do some searches on this board to get a better idea of what's involved. Don't mean to sound like a prick but there's alot of "calculating" involved in building a guitar. Most of which, you want to do before you start.

Yeah, yeah I know that. I didn't mean that I don't have time or interest to calculate and measure everything before building the guitar.

The problem was that I didn't get all those advices, but now it's quite clear.

I'll start this project this summer, so I have plenty of time to read few guitar building books and do everything that must be done.

Thanks for help!

f_hs_uw.jpg

Rest you can figure out on your own. Different ways of doing it.

1. Nut width on RG-7/Universe is 48 mm. You can scale pic to match this.

2. Go to guitar store and find yourself a RG-7, measure it and scale print of pic so it matches your measurements. (length of top flat area on headstock is good reference)

3. Or take a RG-6 and scale to 7 string. Length of flat top part of headstock is again a good refence point. Say 6 string is length A, then 7 string will be (7*A)/6.

Edited by RGGR