My Fret End Bevelling File

Devon Headen

Here's the info MikeB asked for, but I thought I'd just post a new thread. I think I might be breaking a picture rule here, but all the pics are really small.

First just get whatever length of 2x4 you want (or hardwood, whatever)

tn_Jam036.jpg

Cut one of the sides down to square the edges (it'll be like 2x 3 now)

Set the blade angle and height

tn_Jam037.jpg

Set the fence so your cut is just off one edge

tn_Jam039.jpg

You'll probably have to widen the slot a tiny bit to get the file to go in. It should look like this

tn_Jam040.jpg

With the file in it

tn_Jam041.jpg

You might put some felt on the bottom, but I've never had any trouble with it scarring frets. I just used a pine 2x4, if you use anything harder, you might have more trouble getting a good pressure fit. I read Brian's tut and wondered why this wouldn't work. So I tried it and found out it does.

Devon

thx!

the simpler the better.

im gonna make one tomorrow, im guitarred out today! just spent 3 hours sanding a fretboard!

i reckon ill felt mine, dont wanna risk scratching it!

Mike

• 5 years later...

I've made one just like it, but I add two stripes of a anti-adherent material to help slid it better.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1434970288159&set=a.1429964203010.2056714.1650004118

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one to do this freehand?

Nope!

• 3 weeks later...

Nope!

Nope!

Nope again. I use Diamond grit sharpening files

Nope! :D

Hacks!

How does Stew Mac stay in business if you guys do this by hand or make your own files??? Oh the travesty....

I have never taken a picture of my block... I guess I should.

th_P9230188.jpg th_P9230189.jpg th_P9230190.jpg

For sure a block with a fixed angled file is a much neater solution. However, when I started to do repairs some 20 years ago there were no such thing as internet and orders to Stewmac had to done very sparsely through fax and money transfer. So I just grind the edges on a file smooth, glued it to a wooden handle (very similar to this) and learned how to use that. Now I can vary the angle by need and still get a very consistent result. I have not slipped over the frets of over the head or body of the guitar in probably 15 years so it is really a non-issue. You choose a tool and learn to use it well. What tool you choose is not as important as learning to use it.