Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

Hi all I thought you may be interested in this. I put together a list ages ago of most of the popular woods for guitarbuilding and cabinet making. Its everything from Ash to York Gum. Every entry has a picture showing an example of the different grains and some brief notes of how the wood works etc. :D

Wood Reference Chart With Pictures

Its in word format and basically I just roamed the internet to find the different sources. I find it really good to use with Photoshop as well if your thinking of mocking up a body you can overlay the sample pics to give you some idea of what the wood will look like! :D

Hope you all enjoy. If anyone wants to Pin this for future reference of stick it on the site somewhere thats cool.

Thanks all! :DB)

By the way this site only has a 10MB data limit per 24 hours. So if you cant get it first time try again! And I'll keep updating the woods as I find more examples! B)

If anyone wants to host this who has the bandwidth give me a shout! Thanks!

Edited by eddiefletcher

The system cannot find the file specified. :D

ill try later, sounds really helpful.

If you want a more comprehensive list with great pictures, I suggest the most recent copy of "The Encyclopedia of Wood." It's a book you can leave on the coffee table and use extensively in the workshop.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Psssh! none of those links even have plywood! It lists like 100s of wood types but plywood! After all plywood is the lightest i guess.