Prefered Amp?

bond163

OK

i can get schematics for heaps of amps .....

im looking to make between a 100w and 200w

EL34's and 12AUX7's are the valves i'd like to use ...

what ones would you guys make?

i'd prefer a circuit that runs off 700v

but if there is a 400v one, thats fine ...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, im confused, are thoes squigles resistors? I always thought resistors were drawn as a rectangle?

They are resistors. That's the way they are typically drawn in electrical schematics. I don't know where the rectangle thing came from but in the 25 years I've been reading schematics the "squiggle" is the standard way to draw them.

:D Looks like you should have done that course in electronics instead of physics (j/k) - that's the standard symbol for a resistor in a schematic. Hey, don't take my word for it - take a look:

Schematic Symbol Reference

What Is A Schematic?

Circuits

The block symbol is used occasionally (often by engineers who aren't EEs), but it's not what most of us recognize - I think it's just easier to hand draw. :D

Man that Ruetz J1 sounds really nice. I toyed with the idea of building an amp for a while.. then guitar building seemed a lot safer :D

Did I read right you want a 1-200 watt tube amp??!! My main amp is a 15 watt job and I user an attenuator on it! You can deafen someone quite adequately with a 50 watter. :D

the XXX is really nice for distortion, except the clean was kinda crap imo. Every peavey I have tried does not hold its own when it comes to clean, including the classical series. If you want clean, go with a fender.

If you want the thick sludgy distortion, go with the XXX

If you want a good rocked out one, nothing beats a JCM 800 lead series

just my opinion.

im looking to make between a 100w and 200w

holy crap lol. My Fender Deville 4x10 is only 60 watts tube and the loudest i could have it in my house was 2 (out of 12) before the walls would start rumbling. If you live in an apartment please consider other people, unless you're trying to get evicted, or piss someone off :D

-Jamie :D

Make a bare-bones non-master volume 50 watt JCM800 (I'd recommend the 1987 Std.) - if you survive that and still want more power, make another. If you're still not loud enough, try booking venues smaller than Iowa. Seriously, the massive power thing is like the redneck truck thing - it's inversely proportional to the size of a young man's ..., :D uh..., endowment! :D

BTW, you are aware that making high-gain tube amps is complex, fiddly work, debugging builds can be exasperating (even for an experienced builder), parts are very expensive, and the high voltages involved are quite capable of killing you, right?

I would love to make a really nice valve amp that would suit me perfect, but it's just one of those things that I'm never gonna be able to accomplish just like that, will probably be one of those kinda things that I will do when I'm 50!

Well, a set of transformers is going to cost you around $250 plus shipping, more if you buy the really good stuff, the tube set is another easy $50-$75, depending on your tolerance for cheap stuff, and that's just getting started! You'll probably end up spending between $500 and $700 for parts on a 50 watter, probably more if you use really good iron and tubes, and that's provided you have all the skills necessary to drill your blank chassis, make a cabinet for the head, build your own turretboard, and so on, and already own all the tools necessary to actually build the amp. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if you think it's not expensive, it might be time for a minor reality check! :D

My biggest concern would be that you're trying to do a Marshall as your first build - lots of people who start out with high-gain amp project as their maiden voyage end up with a buzzy, unworkable modern sculpture of metal and glass, burnt fingers and no desire to build another one!

ok lol i respect you but, i can easily get stuff from an electronics wholesaler

Tubes PreAmp - $15

Tube EL34 - Set of 4 off ebay $45 (aus prices)

Transformer - http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102096/article.html

(i hav the rest)

I have a Mill, 3 Routers, a Nice Nice Dremel with many accessories

a drill press, what else might i need to make a nice shaped cab

ps. i am gonna make a 15w valve before diving deep, but i'd like to plan ahead ..

ok lol i respect you but, i can easily get stuff from an electronics wholesaler

Tubes PreAmp - $15

Tube EL34 - Set of 4 off ebay $45 (aus prices)

Transformer - http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102096/article.html

(i hav the rest)

I have a Mill, 3 Routers, a Nice Nice Dremel with many accessories

a drill press, what else might i need to make a nice shaped cab

ps. i am gonna make a 15w valve before diving deep, but i'd like to plan ahead ..

uh.. i'd aim a little higher than 15 dollar tubes.. I researched amp building for a LONG time and didn't bother because of the expense.. that and the lethal voltages :D but if you're building a marshall clone then if you want the sound you have to source the RIGHT parts.. not the cheapest.. mallory caps, proper transformers wound to the right specs, most of the magic is in the parts. Otherwise, like Lovecraft said.. it will be all that work and not much to show for it.

Check out the 18 watt clones. There is a forum dedicate to 18watt builders. Those are killer sounding amps. Tons of info, schematics and support by folks that are in the same mess. Google it, I can't remember the site name.