Wanted: Large Piece Of Figured Maple

Hey all,

I'm looking for a large piece of highly quilted maple that measures at least 11"x36"x4/4". Anything larger is acceptable. If any of you have such an item, I would be glad to purchase it, and if any of you know of any resources that may carry such a piece, please inform me.

I have scoured Northwest Timber's inventory, and have found some near acceptable pieces, but I'm looking for something with a little bit more figure. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all you guys. The figure on each piece you've referred me to is up to par, but the size is a little too small(although it does get close atr FWSW).

Alright, I've emailed everyone you guys have suggested, and I have some results. I'm thinking of a new approach, where I take two 6"x36"x1" and bookmatch them (out of a 2" thick piece). The problem with this is that I would have a seam running right through the neck and through the joint, and this may be too weak. Although, I'm probably going to be making a stainless steel (or other rigid material) fretboard with tons of support rods, some passing through the joint. Does this seem plausible? All help is appreciated.

Wow, fast. Is a tounge groove better? I have a jointer (although jointing quilted maple is a *****), but I found it better to clamp the piece between two metal plates, with a sixteenth of an inch sticking up, and belt sand the edge. Although, to make sure it is perfectly flat, I either have to use wide plates (maybe an L shaped piece of metal). or make some jig that steadies the sander.

Wow, fast.  Is a tounge groove better?  I have a jointer (although jointing quilted maple is a *****), but I found it better to clamp the piece between two metal plates, with a sixteenth of an inch sticking up, and belt sand the edge.  Although, to make sure it is perfectly flat, I either have to use wide plates (maybe an L shaped piece of metal).  or make some jig that steadies the sander.

You could also use a table saw or a hand plane. I've used both with perfect results in the last few days.

On figured wood, you'll probably need a really sharp blade or it'll tear out.