Amp trouble

stockler707

I know I'm going to get yelled at for buying a cheap amp... but, I had a show at a small venue and needed a midsize combo amp, and no money, so I bought a Rogue 2x12 100watt. It works extremely well for the $200 price tag and I was very impressed, but it has now developed a buzzing/springy noise at volumes over 50% on the low notes on the E and A strings... Is there something I should do, or should I just dive in and hope to find the problem and try not to get electrocuted? I think it's just something loose because I can hear it when I set the amp down... Thanks!

-Hugh

:..lj..:

When you say set it down, do you mean with it off and unplugged? If so you probabably have something physical loose, like a cover, speaker or something.

If you mean, with it on you could have a loose wire, dry joint etc. Dry joints can give some very strange effects, they can even act like a semiconductor and cause all manner of strange noises including a lot of hiss and noises like eggs frying.

just take it, UMPLUGED! of course. and check all of the screws that are attached to the speakers, the one holding the chassy of the amp, and any screw you see. it sounds like its just a loose screw or two. and heck its alot cheaper to check them then it is to take it to an amp guy!

Make sure all the screws you can see are tight especially the speaker mounting. If they are screws into the wooden baffle (you said it was a cheap amp) then replace them with bolts and nylock nuts. Screws into chip or particle board always seem to work loose due to the vibration of the speakers.

Keith