Woodmaster Sander Planer Combo

bigdguitars

You're gonna run out of shop space pretty soon guy!!

Woodmasters have been around in one incarnation or another for a right good while. I've only known one person who had one and he ran the devil out of the thing. Mostly used it as a molder making custom trim and picture frame moldings, but he did do planing and sanding with it. If Bob couldn't kill it it probably is close to indestructable.

The combo planer molders are great tools for people with limited space and somewhat limited budgets. Setup time isn't bad when converting back and forth, and I think that that is the main drawback to them,as opposed to a couple of dedicated machines.

As far as I know this is the only one that also has a sanding feature. May be wrong but I've never seen another one with Woodmaster's versitility.

Definitely look at the spiral cutterhead option. Using disposable blades saves an unbelievable amount of tool fidgiting time. They also will plane damn near anything no matter how squiggly the grain with very little tearout.

yea I have planed for this purchase for about a year now. The router just came up and had to buy it. That came from unknown funds while I have had a sander fund for the past 10 months.

I may spring for this soon as my father in law would steal it 3 months and help me pay for it.

I have been doing some side jobs for other poeple to get use out of the machines. once the router is working I may do some doors. that should be fun.

I looked into the Woodmaster a year or two ago. After a lot of searching the net, I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about them.

I was most interested in the gangsaw feature so pretty much ignored the thickness sander feature.

I can't remember what type of method they use for attaching the abrasive. If it's velcro you'll burn less, but you'll have trouble getting a really flat surface.