Building An F5 Mandolin

How wide are you making the neck at the nut, 1 1/8"? I gave my mandolin a 1 1/4" nut width and it was much easier to play, just a thought.

• 7 months later...

Finally getting back to this (along with the flat-top acoustic). I've made a template of the top carve out of 1/4" birch ply, to use with the duplicarver. Pretty interesting here how the layers display the topography of the carve. It's great practice, I'll be doing this for the back carves as well.

toptemp1.jpg

• 1 year later...

A bass (finished), an acoustic (not quite...) and 2 more electrics (almost) got in the way of this one. The sides were too thick when I bent them the first time, but I have another set of sides thicknessed and ready to go. I also built a miniature Fox-style bending form so that I can use my heating blankets to get a good shape on the sides.

So I'm taking baby steps on this one, mostly while doing stuff like waiting for glue to dry or clear coat to set up on other projects. :D