Les Paul Guitar

I agree with Greg, the LP direction of an LP Jr or LP special (no carving, bolt on neck, no neck angle) would be good first time candidates. But you may want to consider going with a shaller type hard tail bridge than a tune-o-matic.

I think what Greg objectively as possible is trying to say is don't set yourself up for failure, walk before you run. Learn a G major scale before attempting G major arpeggios...etc. BUT...If you truly believe you can handle the complexities of a LP...go for it, but also if it doesn't pan out...don't let it discourage you. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly... AND, I only say it because I myself have bit off more than I could easily chew. I'm getting there, very very very slowly. I wish I had done something much simpler to begin with. Going back in time, I probably would have done something more like a tele or an LP jr. with the Hipshot, Schaller, or even Mighty Mite hardtail bridge instead.

Greg

Thanks very much guys :D

You guys are very supportive. :D

just to make sure, 1 3/4" thickness for the body is the usual thickness for a flat LP?

Im going to order my wood soon i think...

Ill tell you how it goes when i start a topic in the "in progress section" B)

Edited by eckodanny

Yes.

If you want to add an extra touch, you could consider a "drop top" instead of just flat top with the limba/mahogany/whatever you end up using.

A "drop top" is just a thin veneer (usually 1/4" but there's no real rule) that is a 'cap' on your guitar. By using a drop top instead of fabric, you could get some of the benefits of such a construction style-- the possibility to chamber (create empty pockets) the body of the guitar for lighter weight, for example. Depending on the wood type, it can be nicer looking than the body wood, too. On the other hand, many people (myself included) like the look of 'plain' woods like mahogany and limba anyhow.

Although I believe common wisdom has you glue the veneer BEFORE routing pickup cavities, I don't see why you couldn't take the opportunity to rout the outline of the cavities in the veneer first. With the wrong kind of wood, you could end up tearing the crap out of a thin veneer; however, with care and a tight-grained wood like maple, it could end up making your job easier...? I can't speak from experience, so a different perspective on that particular point should be sought before attempting.

Even my Godin LG, which is a 1 3/4" mahogany guitar vaguely similar to a Les Paul is a real back-breaker. If you go for solid mahogany, expect all the usual weight issues associated with a Les Paul, carved top or no.

Just an idea. :D

Greg

Nice idea!!

another positive side to the veneer is that without it, you would need a super long drill bit that reaches from the switch to the jack hole, right?? Where would you get such a bit?

Greg do you think you would add the veneer for a first timer? Or would you stick to the one piece body?

Remember, I'm a first-timer, too. :D

I don't think a veneer is too far out of line. All you have to do is throw some glue on it and clamp it down. It's a little more involved if you want to do an arm contour, but I know there are tutorials around to guide you through it if you decide to do that.

Good point about the electronics route, too! Much easier to just cut the right channel and then add a veneer than to try to drill your way through with a long (and expensive? Maybe not!) drill bit.

Greg

Maple also doesn't need pore filler when it comes time to finish. Although we'd rather not make mistakes ANYWHERE, surely it's better to have difficulties with the back of the guitar than the front. :D

Greg

I do not know if you read the post previously this week pertaining to veneers, But you should keep the glue to only what necessary especially on thin veneers. THe glues can soak through and creat problems wuth staining, if thats what youre going to do. Any way, it sounds like a cool project and i hope you get it under way and finished with out problems.

Edit: Sorry, i just noticed that i started with a dependant clause. Hmm... maybe i understand my english lessons when im not in school. :D

Edited by sashimimi

Hello ecko and welcome. :D

I just hopped on this thread and read it from start up to now, and I must say, you seem to be very level-headed and even keeled and something tells me you have the followthru to actually complete your first guitar (gut feeling here) and that you have a lot of common sense, I think you're gonna do this!

I have an idea if it sounds OK with you. If not, no problem, it's just a thought I had, maybe just a stupid brain fart, you let me know...I can delete the whole thing at a moment's notice, hehehe...

If this sounds like an enjoyable thing, I was thinking about a nifty game (sort of) to play that would be beneficial to everyone reading this thread, for now and in the future.

The game goes like this:

I want you to start out by gathering a list of:

1) -All- woods needed and their intended purpose on the guitar

2) Tools you both have on hand and ones you don't, but think you'll need.

3) A complete hardware list for the guitar and where you can find the parts

Basically your best shot at a -complete- laundry list for your guitar, as good as you can get it. Don't worry about being overly perfect or critical, we're just forming the outline of your PLAN here. B)

You can add in prices for your benefit, but I don't want to get the details too critical yet, it's not too necessary at this point except maybe for -you- to see exactly how much money you might be forking out at completion of your project, if you want to change your mind, I'd rather you do it now before you go buying a lot of stuff and then get stuck with it, but this is part of your plan, or outline...materials, time, money, skills, tools.

That's for starters, and this is called 'The Plan'. Everyone needs a plan to follow if they're to be successful...a goal, a roadmap as it were to follow, although you can change the destination any time you want, it's best to start off with SOME particular destination in mind, and try as best you can to stick to the plan as much as possible, don't let your 'I want dis and I want dat' steer you too far off course, and don't let some crazy PG'er drag you out into far left field, try to stick to your plan unless it becomes a clear case of common sense for you to change something, since the more you change the plan (for your first guitar anyway) the more confusion you will add to your project, the more you'll get bogged down and confused...and we all know the rule of K.I.S.S.

Once you get your list together, assign a purpose to every piece of wood you're going to buy and your tool inventory, then we'll start to make some obvious comments and make sure your path is a sound and stable one.

Then, we'll ask you to start listing the steps of construction, what you 'think' you need to do first, next, then after that, ...all the way thru to completion, (as best you can, I know you're not going to know it all, but that's where we come in and have some fun with teaching) ...and I'm sure there will be some interesting conversations among us about what comes when, but -you- will benefit from all of the conversation, because it's all for your benefit after all.

A lot of good advice has been given here, but it's very scattershot and random, completely jumping from neck tenons to veneers. Although I understand the enjoyment of talking about all this stuff, it doesn't do much to get you settled down and started on your journey on sound and sturdy footing, and you just strike me as a guy who wants a straight path to a completed guitar. Am I right?

Another thing I would HIGHLY suggest, is to buy your initial woods from a LOCAL hardwoods dealer, so you get introduced to your first local wood guy!

Wood guys are COOL, and you should get introduced to one right off the bat...take a tour of the woodyard and see all these woods in person and ask questions, wood guys love to talk about wood.

We would love to help you get to your destination, but it would be nice if we all knew what direction we were headed in first.

Once you get your lists together and have a look at the price tag and are still breathing, we can start having talks about your body woods and neck woods and get those choices cemented down without jumping all the way into veneers and things like that, that stuff is waaaay down the road yet.

OK, long-winded I know, let me know what you think. My -delete brain fart post- button is right here under my leedle finger. :D

A few additional notes.

The reason I laid it out like this is because money drives decisions.

And once you get your list together and see that you'll spend $600.00 on tools ALONE just for making a NECK (just a rough estimate of course) and it might take you a month or more to construct a neck alone, then a pre-made neck at $200.00 already done might start looking a whole lot better to you.

That is just one single solitary example, and there are MANY decisions to be made, I would prefer it if you had the information up front so you don't blow money unnecessarily and buy smartly.

And I haven't even got to finishing supplies yet, harharhar...but you see why I think it important for you to get your outline together...for several reasons:

1) So you make good solid decisions on what to buy and don't waste money.

2) So you will have the 'Big Picture' in your head as you are progressing step by step and can calculate your progress out, not just haphazardly falling from one step to the next making dumb blunders all along the way, doing the 'headsmack shuffle' all the time (the DOH! moments)

3) So we can all share in your YEAH BABY moments when you get something right the first time.

We're all cheering you on, let's make sure we all make it to the finish line, and that we all know where the finish line is. :D

PS, I would second the vote for a Telecaster for starters, but it's your dream, and everyone's gotta have a dream. :D

I think it important for you to pick something that really moves you, because when times get tough and you want to give up, that drive will be there to keep you moving. If you pick a guitar you don't even like, a certain 'spark' will be lacking when you need it the most to drive you on thru the hard parts, so pick something you really like, we're here for ya.

Daniel,

What Drak is offering and talking about is right on the money! This is exactly what I have been trying to explain in our P.M. chats. Do this!!!! You will benifit and learn a whole lot ( practical information ). If you still have that set of plans, and still want to do an LP. I would try to work with them, and try not to make too many modifications as it will just make it harder to stay on track.

Peace, Rich

Definitely form a plan. My first guitar is carved-top, bound, inlayed, the whole deal... I just wish it had been my second guitar. :D Nothing stopped me from going for it, though (even people advising me not to), so definitely make sure that you make YOUR plan and stick to YOUR guns. Any suggestions I (or anyone else) could possibly give come in part from our own biases.

Greg

Hey thanks a lot guys,

Drak, you are completely right. I am getting a little worked up here, jumping from idea to idea. Right now i should be formulating my plan and seeing how that will work together. I havent been that active in looking for tools for the neck, this shows that I am obviously a while away from making my neck. (This brings another question: should I make a neck? I want to make one, but...) Right now I should be looking at the project a bit more realistically, step by step, instead of just at whati want my finished piece to look like.

Rich, I'm sorry for being such an agony on with the pm's (Personal messages...not PMS! :D ). Like I said, im a bit worked up.

You guys are all being REALLY supportive :D and I thank you guys for that. How ever, I'm a bit nervous/scared about starting my project, so I think I need time to focus, and plan.

On the other hand... I just made my body template today, out of some sort of acrylic blank B)

I have gone to a local wood shop, but it was really a lumbar yard, so the only piece of mahogany that they had was a 4x6 foot, piece of plywood. Also, that was the nearest wood shop to my house (D.C.) which was a 20 minute drive..

Thanks a lot guys!

-Daniel

Holy Crap, you live in DC?

You are surrounded on all sides by PG'ers, the Maryland Contingent is the strongest foothold of PG on the globe I believe, hehehe. :D

Go to Wood World in Rockville, right off 355 by the Metro, (on Howard Ave. actually) call information, get the number, then call them and get better directions.

Once there, ask for Tim, and guitar wood will sprout before your very eyes.

Like I said, wood guys are cool, but Tim is one of the coolest I have ever known, he will bend over backwards to help you find what you want. Super super super nice guy and will tell you interesting stories as long as your legs will hold you up (that boy can TALK!)

That's where I got my Spanish Cedar. :DB)

BUT, YOU NEED TO MAKE A PLAN! I mean, lets get down to brass tacks here, how much MONEY do you have to spend on the entire project?

PS, being nervous and scared are just fears that will go away once you actually start forward. They are like wearing cement shoes while standing in place, cast them aside and get moving, but we need to know what your dollar figure is, a LOT depends on that one single item.

Don't THINK about making a plan, MAKE IT, and then share it here (please and thanks, peace and contentment to you and all that Landrew Of The Body stuff). :DB)

Well I haven't been able to work on my project for the past few days, and I probably wont be able to untill the end of August since im going to be away on vacation. Like I mentioned earlier, I have made a Body template with all the correct measurments etc.. and Ive made a drawing of most of the neck (until the joint), but I still dont know how to design my bolt on neck...

• 2 months later...