Les Paul Guitar

hey everyone, it's been a while, but i' m back and I have a new idea for my guitar. I could make my guitar simpler by eliminating the neck angle completely. Using a fender style bridge would do the trick right?

Its been a while, thanks again

-Danny

You can have no neck angle with ANY bridge... it's just that with a TOM, the neck has to stand way proud of the face of the body for everything to line up. With a Fender-style bridge, you basically just end up with the fretboard proud of the body, with the surface of the neck under the fretboard flush with it.

So, to answer your question, a Fender-style bridge is the easiest/best looking way to have no neck angle, but not the only way :D.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I just read all 7 pages, and it was really fun. reminded me a lot of all the questions I had going into my first guitar. A couple quick comments.

Pickups : Coolest (opinion obviously) lookin, and best sounding for a les paul = P90's. Try one out if you get the chance, they are great. When you read "single coil" don't think "strat sounding." P90's are mean!

Les Paul Jr's are the coolest guitars on the planet and make easier projects with only one pickup and no carved top. Joan Jet played a Jr that sounded amazing. So did Johnny Thunders.

My first guitar, I built the neck, and the truss rod. I had help (I wouldn't have known I had to temper the thing after brazing the head on it), but this board is a really incredible resource. If you've got your heart set on building something that'll be dificult, there's no reason you can't do it.

Good luck and best wishes. You've really got the treatment here. Sometimes people will only get answers that say "use the search function."

Can't wait to see pictures.

Billy Bones

• 4 weeks later...

Hardtails (simple fender-style ones) are almost always cheaper than a decent TOM bridge+tailpiece combo. eBay's a fine place to get a bridge, and fender-type hardtail bridges are easier to 'get right' than TOM systems. I'm quite happy with the stuff I've gotten from GuitarFetish (on eBay).

End of the day, though, you do get what you pay for, although the absolute increase in quality is rarely directly proportional to the increase in price. You often pay quite a bit more for that last extra little bit of quality, although for Trems, trying to save big bucks is a clear-cut case of false economy.

• 1 month later...

Cool "mattia", I found a telecaster bridge off ebay. This bridge has space to accomodate a humbucker, so i bought it. By the way, i already started my guitar. Here's what i have done:

-Shaped the entire body plus top (except for the neck pocket)

-cut out the neck (i still have to contour it) plus headstock

-I finished the wiring of the guitar...

I don't know how to make the channel for the u-channel trussrod, since i don't have a router.... Do you guys know of any way i could do it??

Peace

-Danny