Wtb: Ibanez Piezo Tremolo Unit (black)

Myka Guitars

EDIT: This unit is no longer needed. We are going with a different trem and pickups system. Thanks!

I have been searching for a double locking tremolo that has piezo output. The only company I heard that makes this is Ibanez and you can only get it on one of their guitars. I may just have to buy one for the trem and part out the rest but I would rather not have to.

So if anyone has one of these for sale please let me know.

Like on a guitar like this:

Ibanez-SA420X

Thanks,

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

Is that one locking? I thought the Double Edge was the only locking one Ibanez had.  :D

According to my search this is the Double SAT and it is locking. I may be wrong though. I don't know Ibanez that well.

I'll send GraphTech an email about those piezos.

Thanks,

~David

The only company I heard that makes this is Ibanez and you can only get it on one of their guitars. I may just have to buy one for the trem and part out the rest but I would rather not have to.

The link you posted goes to an SA series guitar with the Double SAT trem. While it is piezo-equipped, it is NOT double-locking.

Ibanez (with the help of LR Baggs) makes the only double-locking trem system. It is NOT available as a part from Ibanez (or LR Baggs). Your best bet is to pick up a pre-owned Double Edge-equipped guitar and use the trem/preamp/wiring off of it.

REMOVING/INSTALLING THE DOUBLE EDGE SYSTEM IS NOT FOR FIRST-TIMERS.

It's a very complicated system with a lot of very delicate wires. One little slip, and you could own a very nice paperweight.

If you have questions about removing/installing or the operation of the DE systems, feel free to email me.

I heard a Rumor about Graphtech making Piezo Saddles for the Original Floyd Rose. I don't know about a release Date though

Rumors are like Pam Anderson videos. We've all seen them, but no one will admit where they got it from.

:D

Plus, piezo saddles are one thing. Tackling all the necessary wiring, so it'll work on all Floyds, is a whole other ball of wax.

A ball that's about 11' in diameter.

You can actually buy any ibanez part as a"factory replacment".

Not with Double Edge systems. They are warranty replacement only.

David, if you decide to go with a non-locking piezo trem, LR Baggs makes vintage and fulcrum styles (you probably knew that) and they're really inexpensive.

There's a vintage-style waiting for me on my front porch right now. Probably be this weekend before I get it installed, but I'll post my thoughts on it after I've tested it out.

If you don't decide to go non-locking, pay me no mind. :D

Kevan, thanks for the calrifications. I actually spoke with an LR Baggs rep and he mentioned you as an expert with these trems. I was hoping you would post on this thread. They also metnioned the complicated and fragile system inside. If I do end up going this route I will be contacting you.

So I would need a Double Edge tremolo with piezo. Which models have this so I know how to look for them?

I actually spoke with an LR Baggs rep and he mentioned you as an expert with these trems.

They did? Kooky. Cool, but kooky.

Now wherethehell is my check? :D

I was hoping you would post on this  thread. They also metnioned the complicated and fragile system inside. If I do end up going this route I will be contacting you.

Anytime you need a hand, let me know (email and IM are best).

I'm also working on a new, clearer, all-color wiring diagram for the 1st Generation DE systems.

There was a post about this a while back.. seemed at the time the only option was to waste an ibanez for the trem.. part out the rest on ebay.  There were rumors about graphtech and the piezo saddles but i have no idea when that will happen.

Yeah, it was a thread started by me. Still waiting for that rumors to come true...

I also asked the official Ibanez retailer here in Germany and they confirmed that it wasn't to be had, even for ready money :D

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

There is a 2020 on ebay right now.. expensive though and it has 2 jacks on the front so i'm afraid you wouldn't get much for the parts without the piezo in it.

I'm still wondering if there isn't a way to use a bridge plate transducer, like the baggs ibeam somehow. Maybe actually set in the body right between the trem studs under the top lam? Would have to get creative with amplifying the signal, but it would be nice to figure out a way around that that is simpler than a floyd with piezo saddles. You can get an ibeam for 70 or 80 bucks.. might be worth gutting it and seeing if the element could be used creatively someother way to achieve the same effect. I know the piezos need pressure from the strings, but the BPT picks up resonant vibrations from the bridgeplate in the acoustic and maybe the same concept could be applied somehow to the electric.. Would probably work ok in a semi-hollow.. As long as you had an area of the top that could vibrate somewhat you would be in business.. and they sound awesome.

I'm still wondering if there isn't a way to use a bridge plate transducer, like the baggs ibeam somehow.

That wouldn't work. The goal is hexaphonic output (13-pin) for driving synth devices. I would just need the tremolo with the piezo saddles and their output wires. They are same piezos that LR Baggs puts in their Strat style bridge saddles and I have the hexaphonic preamp already.

By the way, I asked my GraphTech rep if they made Floyd Rose saddles and his reply was not yet.

EDIT: We may end up going with an RMC hexaphonic pickup set and a Hipshot tremolo. My client doesn't really want to buy two guitars. Who can blame him?

Edited by Myka Guitars