Someone Buy This Please...

bigdguitars

Yeah, I have seen that one up there a few times. I wasnt gonna say anything about the original $250 starting price but It seems like you kind of figured it out. Its not bad, I just think it will take the right person to see its potential. I was gonna tell you to strip the finish and sell it raw but you seem to have a bidder already.

it looks like the bridge is kinda cocked. Like it's not perfectly on the centerline. Are you sure that everythings in order?

Like it seems too me the strings wouldn't go down the board strait becuase the bridge is cocked off too one side.

Or mabye it's not the bridge but it's the neck pocket thats cocked too one side.

Edited by Godin SD

i think its cause he took the shot on an angle so it kinda distorts and tricks how your eyes percieve things, however, derek's word is the only one that can break this puzzle lol.

Ouch Drak, Ouch....

Litch was bad, ok, horrendously bad (where is he anyway, and his forum?? whats the link??), but D is doing a better job. Yup, there is a lot of room for improvement, but that will come with time.

My finish skills are getting much better with each guitar.  I am not yet a spraying expert but its much better.  There are some inperfections in the finish but thats taking a really pesky look at the guitar.  This guitar passes the 3ft look test and the 1ft look test.

and this

Will refund you 100% of your money if you are not happy

say to me he is at least an honest trustworthy ebayer.

Yeah Derek.. I don't get the impression you're trying to sell yourself as something you are not.. in fact.. if anything I would say maybe you apologize too much for your work in your auction.. that doesn't instill much confidence in your product.. but then again, that's ebay.. one bubble and you have negative feedback to deal with..

Might be better off selling unfinished bodies until you get your finish absolutely perfect, then sell them finished when you can honestly say they are perfect.. It's a dangerous game, when you have such a growing brand equity in the Varitone to have stuff out there that is by your own words "not perfect"

I don't particularly like that yellow color, but i've liked a lot of your other colors. But little things like un scraped binding edges and finish blems.. is it worth risking someones confidence in your flagship product to jump the gun selling guitar bodies? I mean hell.. with that beast of a pin router you could probably crank out enough unfinished bodies to make some good money by sheer volume alone.

Good luck with this one,

yes this guitar looks like urine, not what I expected. its an experiment, if I get 50 bucks for it then great. You can't win them all right? I did not get 500+ with out offering everything back, just trying to learn.

I know what you mean Drak, finish is a problem area, though getting slowly better. I see where you get the comparison, but I won't go to that area, I do have another business which I stand behind just trying to do what you and a few others do here... it takes time.

My wood working skills are very good, put them up the best of yous... the finish well gotta learn something.

you saw this thread right? http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=16487 thanks for the feedback

that famous line is wait till the next one right? =)

Personally I like the finish!

Color is so personal that I don't think anyone should bash him for trying a new color.

What I was thinking of doing is buying it, puting a good neck and electronics on it and playing it for a while than selling it and buying an amp.

Or mabye refinishing it (just the top, I like the back the way it is) in a more green. I LOVE green guitars...

Now the finish does need some work but I think he is a great guy who doesn't try too rip people off. Those are few and far between these days. I wouldn't mind buying one of his bodys just too play around with and make my player.

Is it possible to set up 2 ebay accounts and sell the bodies under a different name so it won't affect the Varitone name?

Personally, I think the body colours aren't to my taste, they kind of remind me of my grandma's curtains :D but the description is sound, so there's no worries. I do think though that the body looks very nice.

I agree 100% with you. The other bodies that I am working on have been burning a hole in my soul, need to make those guitars, and sell them just as bodies... hence the stupid large router that I bought that I still don't have running.

my process on this one was stain the whole guitar black sand back, then I added a yellow tinted lacquer, I did not redye the top yellow, I thought the color would stand more, it did not. Hence the urine color

At that point I really didnt want to sand the guitar out since while I was spraying it it looked ok.

I wouldn't say its the first draft, maybe the 2nd. :D The color of the guitar is up to people's tastes. Not a problem, if someone likes brownish yellow then so be it. I wouldn't have let the finish cracks from the string ferrules go. I've always thought the prescribed hole size for those puppys to be a little on the tight side to begin with. I haven't hammered mine in yet because they are near impossible to get out without damaging the surrounding wood/finish. Just needs a little refinish to fill the cracks and then give the top edges a good reaming to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I usually don't bother plugging holes when shooting laquer or poly but I think it would be essential for those tight fitting ferrule holes to avoid finish buildup.

BP, there was no slam there. If no one ever prodded you to get better at something, where would we all be?

Understood....bad choice of words on my part. I understand it was constructive, brutally honest criticism, most people can't handle that and would have reacted totally differently than Derek did. I'm not even sure how I would have reacted! I would like to think it was like that but one never knows until they hear it I guess.

Drak Chill. I understand your points. Taken them instride. I am LEARNING. I think you misunderstand some of what I have said. The color sucks, The tint coat I think was 2-3 with 2-3 clear coats. making 5-6 total.

The finish in terms of no bubbles and all of those types of problems, is what I was getting at.

I have played with different color options, this one I went with only to the point of getting a smooth coat, not so much a "perfect color"

Like I said in the auction if they are not happy full refund. I am not trying to say something I am not. You want to knock this one go ahead, sorry the color gets to you. Look at the others I have done... A poplar/quilted maple top guitar is not my priority. I wanted a smooth finish. I got that. So if someone buys this for 50 bucks its a bad deal? I learned what I wanted to off of this. Why keep at it?

Time to move on.