Hard Maple Or Soft

Hey guys I have a question about this ebayers curly maple. He says it from vermont, would this be considered the hard maple(sugar maple). I feel that it is not for the reason that for the size of a normal neck blank the weight is usually 6-10lbs depending on exact dimensions and moisture level. All of the wood I saw was 2-4 lbs. Also it has great curl in it, I know that the hard maple can have curl but this is pretty strong figuring usually foung in soft maple. I emailed him and asked but have yet received an answer. I stopped myself from buying some, partly because I wasn't sure and I also found a local hardwood shop, a little expensive but I can pick and choose what I want. Anyways let me know your professional opinions on this stuff. Thanks for the help!Jason

I hope this link works!

barneygrad04

They are usually classified as Eastern Hardrock Maple and Western Big Leaf (soft) Maple.

So if it's from Vermont, I would guess it's Eastern Hardrock Maple.

IF it's quality goods, a light weight can mean it has been thoroughly dried and seasoned (less water/moisture weight), so that 'can' be a good sign...or a bad sign if it's soft maple.

He stated that it was eastern rock maple, but after he put red maple. I've searched on this site about the use of different maples for necks and it seems that most commonly only rock maple is used. I ended up just grabbing a piece anyways just to formulate my own opinion. If anything I could always just sell it. All of his piece went easily enough. He also said it felt as hard as the any other maple. I guess hardness and stability are two different things though. If I ended up using it, I would use a good truss rod, a strong stripe, and a very stiff fret board like ebony. And probably cut it a little thick, because I have big hands and my ibanez neck seems a little thin for me, I'm so used to my gibson acoustics neck which is quite a bit thicker. So I should be alright you think? I'm going to also buy a piece of birdeye and do them at the same time so I can get a direct comparison. Does anyone have any pics of red maple necks completed, if so how did it turn out? Would you do it again? Any tips that I should know about? Thanks for everyones help. Its really great to get many opinions, to be able to hear everyones experiences and make good decision based on multiple opinions. Sorry for the novel! Jason

The seller is a bit confused.

Red maple is a soft maple.

Eastern hardrock maple is white maple, also known as sugar maple.

Both grow in Vermont.

I am almost certain the pics show red maple. ( soft )

As Drak stated, birdseye is found in hard maple.

Hard maple gets a curl sometimes, but this type of flame is found mostly in soft maple.

Thanks everybody for the guidence. I have done a lot of digging around on this site and others, and I see what you mean. I'm sure now that it is the soft Red maple. I guess thats the way things go, no better way to learn than make mistakes. But I went out today and purchased some Rock maple from a local store, they were a bit expensive, but I got to choose my own piece. I figure that I could still use this wood for maybe laminating a couple more necks or something. If worst comes to worst I'll build a perch for my bird LOL. At least his cage would look good. Coulg this be used as a veneer on a headstock possibly. Like a thin piece on top for some looks? Thanks again everyone! Jason

You can use it for a neck, just not a wicked thin one. You said earlier that you like a fatter neck anyway, so I would say go for it! With a good truss rod, it should be fine.

You're right I need to use it, I wanted to so I could make the comparison with the rock maple. I know that rock maple is definately harded, but it wouldn't hurt to see what other differences there are. Does anyone have any pics of a red maple neck, laminated or not? Thanks orgmorg for the motivation. Is there a better truss rod for a fatter neck, are carbon fiber rods a bad idea? Will have the truss rod adjustment in the headstock weaken this wood too much? Thanks for all the help! Jason