Paint Cans...

Or move to Florida where the weather will warm it up for you :D

Don't forget to get one of those el-cheapo $1.89 carosel's from Walmart to lay the body on so you can spin it around as you paint. It does require a small block of wood for support but those things work great.

Geting back to the original question though I found Testor's model paint to have the most options, Krylon to be the best for spraying in my area and Rust-Oleum runs quicker than the average person after a buffet at a cheap mexican resturant................

What I'm having a problem finding is a true metal flake paint like I used on the Jungle Jem, Plasti-cote makes it in europe but not over here.

As an option for now I found sparkle fleck paint in the craft section of Wal-mart and I use a candy apple color over that. It works but it's just a hassle.

Hope this helps you :D

Hello guys!

Maybe i'm stupid for saying this, but you can use plain old spray paint on guitars??? Does it look good? Do you have to put clear/laquer over it to make it look nice, deep, and glossy? Or does it always just look cheap? Do you still have to use sanding sealer on the wood, then start painting? See, i have a guitar that i may stain very soon, but if i could just paint it with spray cans and get a good-looking finish out of it, then i'd rather do that!

Please help !

Thanks!

Ben

p.s. could someone maybe just post an instructional about how to do this?

:D Hi Ben and welcome to the forum!

Of course it's possible to use plain old spray cans and get a killer finish. Your still going to have to top coat the guitar to polish it up with some sort of clear but with a little elbo grease and some time you would be surprised at the results you can get.

Start by either sealing the wood with a sealer or primer. That may take 2 or more coats, just remember the smoother the base finish is the fewer problems you will experiance towards the end of your project.

Also allow plenty of dry time, most manufactures will say something like drys to touch in 12 minutes, blow that off right away and wait at least 1/2 a day if not more...............

BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question B)

Hello again!

More questions...

Okay, so i went to Wal Mart a little while ago and checked out their paints... i went to automotive and found a "chrome" paint. I tryed it out on a piece of cardboard, and walked off for about 10 minutes while it dried a little. When i came back and looked at it, i was impressed with the results! It wasn't mirror chrome by any stretch, but it was a nice, foggy-mirror silver. It wasn't fit for a Chromeboy, but i still liked it a LOT!!! Here's the deal.... all that it said on the can was ' Enamel ". it said on the can that it was reccomended for trim and accessories... would this pose any problems??? Could i still use it on a guitar if i put sanding sealer on the body, and got it to a nice, smooth finish, then put clear coat on top of it? I had been thinking about painting the guitar green, but i would like this, too!

Here's another question...

In the automotive section, i also found an acrylic laquer aerosol clear coat. Would this offer a great, tough, SHiNY protective coat if i put enough coats on the guitar?

Thanks for the help, guys!!!!!!!

Ben

I have wasted a ton of money trying to get a chrome paint to actually look like chrome and clear coated over.

If you prep the surface so that it is baby smooth to begin with your going to love what it looks like till you try to paint the other side. The Chromes always seem to work best in very light mist coats with a few hours between each coat to the next but just like Jeremy said they can and will turn into a sticky gooey mess in a heart beat.

Oog :D

Well, that certainly doesn't sound good.

Brian, what did you mean that i'll love how it looks till i try to paint the other side?

How did the chromes that you did turn out? Like i said, i'm not expecting the guitar to come out looking like liquid mercury or anything. Does it retain that silver, foggy-mirror look that i saw and described? If so, thats fine by me.

Also, would that aerosol acrylic enamel clear-coat that i found work?

Thanks for the help, as always B) !!!

Ben

Dude, take it from me! Don't use the chrome paint on a guitar!!!!

It looks o.k. for a little while, but will crack, flake, and turn green in no time at all!!!

If you are interested in making a chrome guitar finish, I know of a website where a guy has been doing it for years.

Chrome guitar

I was going to try it with an Ibanez iceman, but haven't had the time (or the finances)

Let me know what you think & good luck!

Dave K

Well the problems I've had are two fold.........

First is the over spray problem, when you go to paint the other side it always leave's an oversprayed edge between the side's that never really seems to go back to looking like the chrome.

The second problem and the hardest so far is when ever I cleared over the stuff it just turned grey with no mirror look to it at all. Might have been the paints I was using but I haven't been able to clear over one yet even using the same brand for the base, chrome and clear top coat.

Well poo, Brain. AH well, thanks for the info, it saved me some frustration!

Okay, i have some more questions!

Has anyone tried doing a candy-apple-type finish with aerosol by spraying, say, a coat of silver, then another colour on top of it? Would that work?

I found a product by Platicote today that was a PPG-type finish { colour-changing, like the Mystic Dream paint job on the EB/MM JPM guitars}. It was emerald green/copper, it looked SO great! It even said that it was usable on wood! You had to buy the base and clear coat seperately. Here's the thing, though... a while back, a company { which i probably shouldn't name...} had a similar paint. I saw the results on a motorcycle helmet, and it really looked like shyte. Does anyone know if this is any better?

Thanks!

Ben

Which is do-able?

The candy-apple or the Plasticote colour-change?

If you're talking about the candy-apple, please give me some info about candy-apple finishes. I don't know a whole lot about them, but the ones i've seen are SWEET. What would happen if i did silver under green? Or could i do yellow under green to make the green brighter? See, i'm really wanting bright metallic green, like, grass/leaf green, or the colour of a real emerald or jade. There was a limited run of Schecters in this colour this year or last year. I don't want it to be as acidic as, say, Grabber Green, or Loch Ness Green, just a nice, bright green, preferably metallic. I can't seem to find any greens that are bright enough, though, so thats why i was wondering.

Thanks!

Ben