Need Help On Deciding On This Router

jmrentis

OK my budget is short right now, so my question is will this router work at least for a while? It seems to meet up to most of the needs for routing a guitar. It has variable speeds, 1 hp, up to 2 inch plunge, dust chute, balanced motor to help with clean edges and tearout. My only question is with the collet size they are 1/4" and 5/16" I am unsure if these are common sizes and compatible with most of the bits that are needed for routing a guitar. Also would it last long enough even with very hardwoods? Thanks for your help, a quick response is vital as I will be going tomorrow to buy it and might not have the opportunity after that. Jason

Harbor Freights

Sorry I just added the link!

Edited by jmrentis

1/4" bits are fairly common, but 1/2" bits are better. I don't think I've ever heard of 5/16" bits. You should check your local buy & sell.

i have that router.it works just fine.

Thats great to hear!! I was hoping someone had some hands on experience with this router. I will definitely be getting this router now. Anything that I should know about it or about general use with routers? Also should I use the low end of the variable speed since I'm just starting out with routing? Thanks for the quick response, I'm actually really excited now, there are only a couple more tools that I need before I can fully finish an entire solid body at home without borrowing any!! Thanks again. Jason

Sorry about posting in the wrong section.

Regarding speeds, the instruction manual may list recommended speeds, but generally the larger the bit, the slower the speed, and the harder the material the slower the speed.

Harbor Freights

Ok I saw this one that just went on sale! It has 1 3/4hp which is almost double the other one for only $10.00 more. I went down today and didn't wanted to decide until I ran it by the guys at this forum. The problem that I though of was that I don't think it has variable speed, but the rpms only go up 20,000 instead 28,000, so I figured that the speed would be slower than the higher speeds on the cheaper one. But it has the 1/2" collet which I guess is the most compatible with bits. It doesn't seem to have all the features that the cheaper one has, but looks much better quality and strength. But let me know what you guys think about it, if would be better than buying the cheaper one as it is only $10 difference. Thanks for the help! Jason

I would go for the bigger one. I mainly like the 1/2" collet, as you can get a 1/4" adaptor to accept 1/4" bits. Nicer HP, too.

Is the edge guide on both of the cheaper ones the $39.99 and $49.99? I see some metal guide type things hanging off the one for $49.99 but not the other, but I think you know if the other one does. Will this guide get in the way for routing the pickup cavities and neck pocket as this will be my main router. I think I'm picking up the 1 3/4hp just for a little longer life span. Thank you very much for all the help. Jason

On a side note, I read a woodworking mag a while back that did a piece on "Cheap tools" where they tested them to see if they were worth a crap and to my surprise (and theirs) the HF router they tested did really well. They noted very minimal runout and good power. Their only complaint was above average vibration but said that it wasnt so bad to be a detriment. Now, how long can you expect this router to remain accurate is another question but you should be able to get enough use out of it until you are able to upgrade.

My old shop partner used to bring in the invariably orange Chinese made tools from Harbour Freight all the time. For what they cost the only thing that any of them lacked was longevity. If you use them in a production setting you will kill them guickly. Someone who builds a guitar a month is going to get plenty of service and their money's worth. Just use the thing like you have some sense and you'll be okay. I use an Elu 3 hp plunge, but I do a lot of solid surface work. It pays for itself there. if I was just buying my first router and was not doing every day all day production I'd consider the HF. Do check it out as soon as you get it. They seem to be really okay or instant junk without much in between.

Hey Guys, I got the router a few days ago! Everything seems fine. I got the 1 3/4 hp plunge router with 1/2 inch collet. Everything seems decently sturdy, I wasn't expecting all that much, but was nicely surprised. Only thing about it was that this one didn't have a variable speed, which would have been a nice feature for a beginner router. It also has an electric brake which should help me salvage some wood in the possibility that I start ripping into an area that I don't want to.

Also I'm not sure if all harbor freight have this option but there is a no questions asked warranty available to buy. I believe it is $5.99 for a year or $9.99 for 2 years. And after reading everybody advising me to get more hp for the fact that it will burn out faster, I decided to get the 2 year warranty. So if it seems like it will burn out just after two years, it might just run into an unfortunate accident with a hammer! So it was on sale when I went for $39.99. If I can get 4 years out of it I will be a very happy router. Also when you sign up for the warranty they ask you for the receipt info, then you no longer need a receipt ever. It's in their computers. This really seemed like a really good idea to me. Since I will be using this on some pretty hard wood, and if it burns out, no questions asked replacement with no receipt!

Anyways I haven't used it yet still a little more to do before routing, but will probably be using to build my 1/4" plywood template. So I will let you guys know how it fares once I get started! Thanks for all the help guys! And all in all Harbor Freight is not that bad at all. Jason