Diy Cnc

Jehle

while on demensions, if length is perpendicular to width, width is perpendicular to depth, and depth is perpendicular to lenght; that would mean that the 4th demension would have to be perpendicular to all 3 of those. So time is no the answer, altough it can be measured perpendicularly on a chart, it can not be physically shown. if the length, width, and depth confuse you look at a perfect cube.

Greg, i know you already cleared the record of this, but you grimis looks like he is giving the finger... and its making me laugh so hard right now becuase its late and im tired. I can see just the grimis flicking off ronald becuase ronald wanted to hear Welcome to the Jungle but the grimis wanted to play Motley Crue songs. Man, lack of sleep makes you think wierd things. Ahhhh....

Edited by monkey69962000

You can add a 4th and even a 5th axis to a cnc machine. Depending on the brand of machine, this is accomplished in different ways. Some machines add a rotary table so that a part can be rotated along the x or y axis or both while it is moving normaly in these directions. The rotary tables do tend to make the setup seem lathe like.

However, I wish you luck in finding such a machine with a 15K budget. The software alone to control all of those axises will run 15K!

jer got it right - there are up to six AXIS machines, which let you rotate things. A six axis machine will rotate the cutting head in the YZ plane and the XZ plane and the part in the XY plane. A four or five axis machine will have some selection of those.

There are two-axis machines with two linear axes (X and Y), three-axis machines with three linear axes (X, Y, and Z), and four to six-axis machines with three linear axes (X, Y, and Z) and one to three rotational axes.

EDIT: Oh, and thegarehanman, in physics it's common to use time as a fourth dimension because as you get into relativity time and space interact in a way that you basically need time to be a dimension to understand. Also, as to the "person in 2D trying to imagine what it'd be like to live in 3D," read "Flatland." It's a good book, and that's exactly the subject :D.

Edited by jnewman

okay i have seen all of the post and replies about these CNC's!!!! My question is what if you don't want to turn out 100 necks or bodies a week??? Just to do you own inlay work and don't care about the time that much. You just want a nicer cleaner done job instead of doing it by hand. Will this are simlar be the answer for a low budget person that don't want to spead a fortune and buy a FERRARI.

why not just learn to do inlay by hand and become a master at it? if you really like inlay then it will be worth it to learn. If the only way you'll touch it is to have a robot cut it out for you then maybe inlay isn't for you. Sure, for production and if you're making money, a CNC is a great option but for a project, are you really wanting to shell out a thousand or two for some toy that will cut inlay cavities in your fretboard? Folks have done inlay by hand for centuries. You don't really NEED a cnc.

Monkey, i'm not sure what the obcession is with you and CNCs.. if you're in a robotics club then building your own CNC would be a venerable task and worthy of learning. Buying one?? for what?? how does that help you learn about robotics.. I remember middle and high school.. kids fantasized about having super computers, robotic this and thats, etc..

I can't for the life of me think of one valid reason a school would dump 15Gs into a CNC for their robotics class with teachers as underpaid as they are. That just isn't realistic. I know around here if some fringe class like that got that kind of dough in their budget, the math and english teachers would take up arms and revolt! and i think they would be right to :D

OK. I've just invested approx. $4k in a desktop machine that can use a dremel, wood router, or custom made spindle. Commonly a dremel is used to drill holes for electronic components. The CAM software alone cost me $2k. The control software hit me again for $1k and I still have'nt turned the darn thing on yet. It is capable of up to 6 axis. In milling turms that's about every direction possible to complete the machine profile task. It will also mill profiles on circular objects,( the 4th axis everyone is talking about). If you can use this stuff to create any kind of object you can think of and are willing to sprout the cash, then it's easier to do that than learn how to do it by hand. Just my .02 cents you see. :D

Edited by stringkilla

I can't for the life of me think of one valid reason a school would dump 15Gs into a CNC for their robotics class with teachers as underpaid as they are. That just isn't realistic. I know around here if some fringe class like that got that kind of dough in their budget, the math and english teachers would take up arms and revolt! and i think they would be right to 

I think it is an excellent idea for students at this level to be exposed to this technology. This is the future of industry in our country. :D Although our government is trying it's hardest to cripple our industry by letting China undercut us at every turn, some companies are competing through super efficient use of CNC type machinery. The biggest problem is there is very few younger people entering this segment of the work force, and the ones who are have no skill coming in. So if there is a school encouraging this kind of experience for their students I say excellent!

As far as teachers being underpaid, well I guess that depends on where you live. Most teachers around me make more in 9 months than i do in 12 working plenty of overtime.

Ours was funded partially by a high school/university coordination program. The machines were precision mills, and weren't big enough to accommodate shop-size work. It wasn't really a robotics club; the tech department had an offshoot course called Computer Integrated Manufacturing that taught CNC programming using Inventor, WLPM 1000 and MasterCAM.

The last element of the course, on the other hand, did cover the use of robotics in manufacturing, and robotic control and programming.

When I said "shop", I didn't just mean guys hucking around ninja stars that they fabricated during metal shop class. :D Though, that was fun, too. :D

"Shop" to me includes manufacturing technology, including CAD/drafting classes, and equipment like that you're mentioning would certainly fall into that domain. Or, if that's going to cause further discussion, the most important thing I meant was: "It would be used in classes, not just a club." Period. Of course, there are exceptions, depending on the focus of the school. Yours was lucky enough to have had a sponsorship of sorts, but most schools aren't that lucky.

Equipment donated by an outside source isn't the same as a principal allocating $15K to an extra-curricular activity. It's not even the principal's choice in most cases, but the parents'. And unless all of them had kids in the robotics club, it's not likely they'd approve it in place of field trips, library books, computers, and other resources that a school needs.

Greg

It wasn't entirely outside funded, we simply got some help with it.

At our school, we had one tech department, but there was a difference in the focus from the woodshop/autoshop courses that were taught and the professional engineering stuff that was taught. Same teachers, but two different sets of students and a different focus.

And yes, we were very lucky to have that kind of sponsorship.

Awesome.  And as an added bonus, you get to live in the lovely city of Kingston!  Just re-noticed that; I had forgotten for a while.  :D

Greg

Heh... yep, Kingston's a beautiful city. I'm actually down in NY right now (home for the summer)...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all ,nice to be part of this forum.Have seen some outstanding work here.Congrats to all.Although CNC has a high cool factor,especialy if you build your own ,it can get not only expencive it can get hair raising as well.Especialy when the program you are running decides to freak out,or the machine has a machanical failier half way through the part being cut .I,ve got my own tabletop machine and have had some good succes cutting L.P. tops ,necks and backs,but when the machine goes down and you just can,t stand around,you,re back to hand tools .I,de like to share some pics but not sure how to post them,Cheers. :D

Deadgoodcharlie. To post pics you need a place to host your digital photos. Something like Photobucket.com or even your own website if you have one. (Photobucket is free.)

You sign up for a photobucket account and follow the directions there for uploading you pics. Photobucket will show you a URL for each of your pics. To post them here, just copy that URL, then when you add a reply here push the IMG button at the top of the screen. A window will popup asking you for the URL location of you pic. Paste the URL in the box and you should be all set.

I to am doing some work with CNC. I look forward to seeing your work.